Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

College Space Policy


    1. Introduction

      The university allocates space to the programs, departments, and schools within the College of Arts & Letters (CAL), hereafter referred to as "units," to allow the units with CAL to accomplish their teaching, research/scholarship/creative activities, and service missions. CAL understands that the university can reassign space allocated to it when it is in the best interest of the university to do so. The university administration is sensitive to space renovations funded by donors loyal to specific programs. Units within CAL are responsible for informing the university on donor issues associated with campus space.


      The administration of CAL has the responsibility for the allocation of space among its units and must authorize and approve any reallocation of assigned space within CAL. Space requirements will be considered based on current needs and not on historical grounds. Department chairs and program directors have the authority to assign space within their units. Space utilization and needs should be reviewed annually by unit administration. This policy is intended to supplement and augment the University Space Planning Guidelines.
    1. Categories of Space

      A. Teaching Space
      1. General classroom
        General classrooms are not allocated to specific departments. General classroom space is assigned by the Office of the Registrar. Upkeep and maintenance of general classrooms and the equipment contained in them is the responsibility of the university. Faculty using general classrooms are expected to turn off lights and equipment upon leaving the room and report needed repairs. When CAL programs add specialized equipment to general classrooms, the sponsoring program is expected to maintain the specialized equipment they have placed in general classrooms.
      2. Specialized classroom/teaching laboratory/clinical space/computer labs
        Some classrooms/clinical space have a specific purpose that requires unique qualities or specialized equipment, and utilization of the specialized equipment may be under the control of a specific CAL program. Whenever feasible, expensive, specialized teaching/clinical equipment should be shared and upkeep and replacement of the equipment should be shared by the users. Each unit is expected to develop a Usage Policy to cover the use of specialized facilities by other units within and outside of ISU.


      1. Distance Learning Classrooms (DL)
        While a program may purchase the equipment in DL classroom, programs are expected to share DL rooms. Programs that have purchased the DL equipment have first priority in DL classroom utilization. When programs purchase DL equipment, the program is expected to cover the cost of maintaining and replacing the equipment.


      B. Research space/ laboratories

      Specialized research space is assigned to faculty actively engaged in research. Those who obtain funding for their research will have first priority on research space. Once a faculty member is no longer actively engaged in research, his/her space can be reassigned by his/her immediate supervisor. Maintenance and replacement of specialized research equipment is the joint reasonability of the faculty member engaged in the research and his/her immediate supervisor.

      C. Office space

      Programs within the CAL will endeavor to allocate an appropriate individual office for each full-time faculty member, including non-resident faculty visiting the campus and resident faculty visiting other campus sites, in accordance with university policy. It is not always possible to allocate office space in the immediate proximity of an individual faculty member's program/ administrative space. Part-time/ adjunct instructors may need to share office space, if available. In accordance with University policy, emeriti faculty will be allocated laboratory and office space whenever possible. Faculty members are expected to maintain their offices in accordance with fire code and HIPAA and FERPA security guidelines.

      D. Clinical space

      CAL programs operating outpatient clinics are expected to maintain HIPAA compliance physical space. Programs are responsible for maintaining specialized equipment and supplies needed for the clinic to operate. Care should be taken to assure that therapy rooms are sound proof in order to maintain appropriate confidentiality. Clinical student work spaces must be HIPAA compliant and secure for students in clinical programs. All clinics should set HIPAA compliant policies. Faculty may obtain permission from CAL administration to use CAL allocated space for clinical practice. All supplies and expendable materials are the responsibility of the faculty member.

      E. Small group/conference rooms

      Small group/conference rooms located in proximity to individual programs are to be considered shared resources. The individual programs are responsible for scheduling the utilization of these rooms as they fall outside the purview of the Registrar's Office. Priority to conference room utilization is given to courses and seminars. It is important for units to share resources as much as possible.

      F. Other spaces

    Where feasible, other spaces (e.g., break rooms and student lounges) may be allocated for the benefit of faculty and/or students. Cleanliness of these spaces is the responsibility of those individuals who use the spaces and appliances.