Accounting technicians perform a combination of calculating, posting, and verifying duties involving financial data using spreadsheets, database, and accounting software. They handle accounting for sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations by electronically processing accounting transactions, using journals and ledgers; preparing financial statements; and processing payroll. Extensive software skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint are required, as well as Internet research abilities and strong communication skills. Assistants need flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills, project coordination skills, and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Program accepts students in August and January
- Typical classroom hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Associate of Applied Science Accounting Technology (2.5 years)
- Course Sequence Associate of Applied Science Degree: Accounting Technology
- Intermediate Technical Certificate Accounting Technology (1.5 years)
- Schools and colleges
- Local, state, and federal government agencies
- Professional offices