Outstanding Biology Student Awards
Approved by the Awards & Recommendation Committee: 9 March 2018
The Outstanding Biology Student Awards recognize the contributions of our students to the ISU Department of Biological Sciences. These are important awards as they honor our outstanding students and remind us that the scholarly activities of our biology students are central to our department's mission. Our past awardees have continued to participate in academic and community work across the globe.
Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to nominate outstanding students for the following three awards. The awards will be announced at the Graduation Reception in early May.
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student (OUGS) - the OUGS will be awarded to a full-time undergraduate student that has made significant contributions that could include departmental service, academic achievement, and undergraduate research as indicated by supervisor/mentor recommendations and transcripts.
- Outstanding Graduate Student (OGS) - the OGS will be awarded to a full-time graduate student that has made significant contributions to departmental service, research productivity, and academic achievement as indicated by supervisor/mentor recommendations and transcripts.
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant (OGTA) - the OGTA will be awarded to a full-time graduate student that has made significant contributions to departmental teaching as indicated by student evaluations and supervisor/mentor recommendations.
Nominations will be accepted March through mid-April each year.
- Write a letter of recommendation and include:
- Award type (OUGS, OGS, or OGTA)
- Name of Nominee
- Explanation for nomination
- Submit the letter of recommendation to the Biology Main Office (LS 227):
Department of Biological Sciences
ATTN: Outstanding Biology Student Award
921 S. 8th Avenue, Stop 8007
Idaho State University
Pocatello, ID 83209
|2017/2018||Rachel Brinkley & Catilin Vitale-Sullivan||Jade Ortiz||Janet Braun|
|2016/2017||Rayna Flynn||Dainee Gibson||Tyson Hallbert|
|2015/2016||Martha Maldonado||Johanna Thalman||John Gilmer|
|2014/2015||Michael Vincen-Brown||Gaurav Kaushik||Roy Hill|
|2013/2014||Amber Slatosky||Matthew Dean||Michael Madrid|
|2012/2013||Bryce Rhodehouse||Ryan Long||Matthew Osborne|
|2011/2012||Jamie Mayo||Scott Collins||Masaru Takahashi|
|2010/2011||Andrew Carroll||Kevin Monteith||Amanda Hillis|