Compassion & Respect
Biology concepts and the act of reading directions within the task sheets are difficult for some students. This does not mean that you require nothing of them but that you relate to what they are experiencing using emotional intelligence. Allow them to express their confusion without reacting in an excessively lenient or harsh manner.
- The students are at the beginning of their educational careers and need your help. As they work through the lab exercises they will;
- Gain Transferable Skills.
- Familiarize themselves with the language of biology and science or become more proficient in the language.
- Use and improve their critical reasoning, analytical, and communications skills.
- Gain practical laboratory experience that will prepare them for advanced biology or health science courses.
- Maintain a professional relationship with the students as stated in Faculty Student Relationships ISUPP 4080. Friendships or romances with your students are not recommended. If it is necessary, please wait until after grades have been submitted to the registrars by the lecture instructors.
- Comply with the U.S. Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Please read: ISU Faculty/Staff & FERPA.
- Comply with ISU Policy and Procedures for academic dishonesty.
- Comply with ISU Policy and Procedures for disruptive behavior.
- Comply with Disability Policy and Procedures.
- Behave professionally:
1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a professionb: engaged in one of the learned professionsc: (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession(2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession
Examples of unprofessional behavior:
- Talking excessively about your personal life.
- Using swear words.
- Talking about drinking or how much you partied the night before.
Expressing too much of your individuality can erode the students’ respect for you. They come from varying backgrounds and may perceive your behavior as inappropriate. Once you lose their respect, it is difficult to maintain authority.