Annual Report to Alumni FY18
The ISU Alumni Association belongs to all Bengal alumni.
We invite you to review this first Annual Report to Alumni. It covers ISUAA’s programs and accomplishments from July 2017 through June 2018 (FY 2018). Over the past year, our vast network of alumni have connected with each other, formed relationships with current students and continued traditions that make the Idaho State experience special.
We have restructured the focus of the ISU Alumni Association and its dedicated Board of Directors to better serve our alumni. Four themes will guide us in the coming years: (1) communication to alumni, (2) outreach to students, (3) regional activities and (4) raising awareness of Idaho State’s vibrant alumni and community. These themes will help us align resources and provide better accountability toward measurable outcomes.
We hope you will get involved in a way that is meaningful for you. There are many opportunities for you to participate with the ISUAA, from mentoring students, serving on an ISUAA committee, joining your local chapter or participating in an array of professional and social events. ISUAA is here for you at every stage of your life.
Bengal alumni are passionate and dedicated. They improve the world around them. By expanding our alumni outreach, ISUAA fosters increased pride in Idaho State. As current students become more connected with the successes of our graduates around the world, the ISUAA will continue to grow as a valuable resource for the Bengal community and promote a lifelong commitment to Idaho State University.
The initiatives and accomplishments highlighted in the Annual Report are made possible because of the dedication and involvement of Bengal alumni. As we look forward to the year ahead, we invite you to be a part of this incredible community.
Associate Director-Alumni Relations
In FY18, even more alumni stayed connected to ISUAA by joining the conversation on social media.
On Wednesdays, Bengals near and far show their enthusiasm for Idaho State by wearing Bengal gear. No matter where you live, throw on some Orange and Black and show off your Bengal pride.
You can now connect with the ISUAA on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat!
With ISUAA's new mobile-friendly website it's never been easier to stay connected and get involved.
- Online award nomination forms
- Complete events calendar
- Submit Class Notes online
- Update your information online
- Refer a Future Bengal online
When Bengal alumni and friends get together in person they build connections, learn from each other and have fun!
We Honored Our Best.
Homecoming Alumni Awards
Each year, the Office of Alumni Relations and the Office of the President join in celebrating Alumni through awards and recognition.
- Marilyn Kent Byrne, Distinguished Alumna
- Hillary Merkley, Young Alumni Award
- Mike Prime, William J. Bartz Award
- Maria Wong, ISU Achievement Award
- Debbie Green, ISU Distinguished Service Award
- Alan Stanek, President’s Medallion Award
- Alan Van Orden, President’s Medallion Award
- Terry Fredrickson, ISU Alumni Special Friend Award
- Idaho Potato Commission, Parade Marshal
Sports Hall of Fame
ISU Sports Hall of Fame Induction Class of 2017
The ISU Sports Hall of Fame recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to ISU varsity sports and, in doing so, have enhanced the image and reputation of Idaho State University.
- Bob Matsey (Football, 1976-1981)
- Chet Dickey (Baseball, 1968-1969)
- Kelly Chapple (Softball, 1978-1981)
- Dale Wilkinson (Basketball, 1978-1982)
- Fred Rodriguez (Wrestling, 1964-1969)
- Coach Jim Cherniss (Volleyball, Lifetime Achievement Award)
Outstanding Student Achievement Awards
Outstanding Student Achievement Award Recipients
The Outstanding Student Achievement Awards recognizes graduating students who have demonstrated outstanding service to their respective college, to Idaho State University and to the community, and who also have exceptional scholastic achievement.
- Casetin Wade Lybbert, Fine Arts and Humanities
- Jillian Christiansen, Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Benjamin Poulter, Natural and Physical Sciences
- Malcolm Tencate, Engineering
- Jessica Downes, Health Sciences
- Jessalynn Garnett, School of Nursing
- Heather Walser, College of Pharmacy
- Daniel Ortiz Florez, College of Business
- Brianna Gibson, College of Education
- Kenneth "Jake" Powell, College of Technology
- Larinda Nichols, Master's Candidate
- Doug Colman, Doctoral Candidate
Professional Achievement Awards
Professional Achievement Award Recipients
Given annually during Commencement, the Professional Achievement Awards recognize Bengal alumni for their valuable and distinguished contributions to Idaho State University, their professions and to their communities.
- William Olson, Fine Arts and Humanities
- Janice Jean, Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Dr. Patrick Woodward, Natural and Physical Sciences
- Jeff Andrews, Engineering
- Casey Dye, Health Sciences
- Michael McGrane, School of Nursing
- Edward Snell, College of Pharmacy
- Brent Phillips, College of Business
- Ron Watters, College of Education
- Kevin Miller, College of Technology
- Dave Gates, Graduate School
The Alumni Association is growing.
Local Alumni chapters bring ISU into your community providing alumni and friends with opportunities for networking, friendship-building and meaningful ways to remain connected to ISU and each other.
As a community, Bengal alumni and friends are making an extraordinary impact in our efforts to build the new Alumni and Visitor Center.
- $1.4 million in the Alumni Center Quasi Endowment
- Another $2.5 million has been raised
During Homecoming weekend, Marilyn Kent Byrne '67 and Bill Byrne '67, '71 donated the “Valentine” sculpture to ISU in celebration of the role ISU plays in their lives. The sculpture will be moved a patio built from pavers at the new Alumni and Visitor Center.
Join us in celebrating the special people that made ISU memorable to you and help build the Alumni and Visitor Center by purchasing a paver for the patio. Each paver measures 12 x 12 inches and allows for six lines of text, 18 characters per line. Buy your paver here.
We organized ISU Day at the Capitol.
On February 28, over 300 Idaho State alumni, students and faculty participated in ISU Day at the Capitol. This important effort provided an opportunity for ISU advocates to ask legislators to support ISU and prioritize higher education.
Two floors worth of table displays were set up in the Capitol building and a legislative luncheon was hosted by ISUAA. Over 60 legislators attended. All were reminded how Idaho State impacts the lives of all Idahoans by providing a world-class education and generating economic growth. ISU uniquely offers professional-career education, promotes the arts and sciences, supports the business community and improves healthcare throughout the state.
Before every home game this fall join us for the Alumni and Fan Tailgate at the Papenburg Sports Complex on the south side of Holt Arena.
We've partnered with the Athletics Department to make games more affordable for the whole family.
Get Connected or Reconnect with Fellow Bengal Alumni
It is easier than ever to engage and reconnect with fellow alumni through the ISUAA.
- Update your Alumni information here.
- Follow ISUAA on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay current on the latest alumni information and events.
- Join us at ISUAA events.
- Explore ISUAA’s volunteer opportunities and fill out volunteer interest form to learn more.
- Apply to serve on the ISUAA Board of Directors.
- Start or join a local Alumni Chapter.
- Submit an article, photo or memory for the ISU Magazine.
- Write a Class Note to tell your former classmates what you’ve been up to.
- Do you know a high school student that’ll make a great Bengal? Let us know about them by Referring a Future Bengal.
- Nominate an extraordinary Bengal for an alumni award.
- Make a gift to Idaho State University.
Please take a moment to tell us what you think by taking the Alumni Opinion Survey.
We are committed to expanding our alumni and social network to better engage with you, our alumni, friends and community partners. The Alumni Opinion Survey will help us stay in better touch with you while giving you an opportunity to share your ideas with us.
Please let us know what is of interest and relevance to you. Tell us your favorite ISU memories, story ideas and how ISUAA can better serve you. We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate your feedback!