Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University

Curriculum Change Request Procedure

Declaring or Changing a Major and/or Minor

Formally declaring a major connects a student with department advising. Major advisors help solidify the educational plan a student will follow including course requirements for each semester until graduation.

Students may determine that their current major is failing to meet expectations. Encourage students to explore available majors and commit time to successfully finding a new major that is more in line with their strengths and interests. They should then schedule a meeting with a departmental advisor to discuss related career opportunities and reviewing the academic requirements based on an agreed upon catalog year.

Student Procedure to formally Declare a Major/Minor

  • Contact the Major-Minor Department and schedule a meeting to discuss the requirements, options, and catalog year considerations for the desired major or minor.
  • Once the selection is finalized, the department advisor will complete and submit a Curriculum Change Request (CCR) form in BengalWeb.
  • An ISU email will be sent to students with instructions on how to complete the CCR process for declaring their major/minor.
    • Students login to BengalWeb, go to the student Records Channel, and click on the Approve/Deny Curriculum Change Request.
    • The Curriculum Change Request link should be selected. When the Student Curriculum Change Request Approval window opens review the accuracy of the information. When satisfied click on either the Approve or Deny button and then click - Submit Change Request.
    • If Approve Request is submitted, the curriculum change will be initiated and an ISU email will be sent when the major change is completed.
    • If Deny is submitted, no changes to the current major will be made and no email will be sent.
    • No further action is required in either case.

Department Faculty/Advisor CCR Procedure

After meeting with a student and confirming a formal declaration of major or addition of a minor, a faculty member or departmental advisor will discuss established procedure with the student:

  1. The faculty member will complete the BengalWeb Curriculum Change Request (CCR) form located in the Academics -> Advisor Tools panel.
  2. The Student will need to take action and approve the CCR via email.

Departments use the Advisor Assignment procedure to assign a departmental advisor to a student.