Skip to Main Content

Experiential Learning Assessment

What is Experiential Learning Assessment?

Experiential Learning Assessment (ELA) is an avenue for which a student may be awarded undergraduate credit for experiential learning.


How Do I Complete an Experiential Learning Assessment?

Interested students must read the Policy, Procedure, and Application Information found on this page, and contact the ELA Coordinator for their college (listed below) to determine if this is a good option for them. The Coordinator will work with the student to submit an ELA Petition to secure permission from the academic department to assemble and submit an ELA Portfolio, in which the student will thoroughly describe and document knowledge gained experientially and also demonstrate how knowledge gained outside the classroom is related to their college-level learning.


Who Assesses My Portfolio?

The academic department in which credit is being requested assesses the portfolio and makes credit recommendations to the department chair and dean of their college.


How Many Credits Will ISU Award for ELA?

Idaho State University allows a maximum of 25% of credits required for an associate or bachelor's degree or an undergraduate certificate (15 credits toward an associate degree and 30 credits toward a baccalaureate degree) through this evaluation process.


Who is Eligible to Apply for ELA?

Available for currently enrolled undergraduate students only. ELA credit is available only for those academic subjects offered at Idaho State University.


What are the ELA deadlines?

Deadlines for the 2018-2019 academic year are:


Fall Semester

ELA Petition: 7 September 2018

ELA Portfolio: 9 November 2018


Spring Semester

ELA Petition: 25 January 2019

ELA Portfolio: 29 March 2019


For More Information Contact the ELA Student Opportunity Development Coordinators

Mark Beaver

Lead Coordinator (College of Science and Engineering and College of Education)

(208) 282-1449


Sariah Millis

Coordinator (College of Business and Kasiska Division of Health Sciences)

(208) 282-1369


Amber Greening

Coordinator (College of Arts and Letters and College of Technology)

(208) 282-1328