Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

TN Visa Status

The TN program is the immigration component of The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which enables Mexican or Canadian citizens to be admitted to the United States to engage in "business activities in a professional level" in certain occupations, for one or more specific employers (provided that each employer applies for a separate TN visa).

TN status may be granted for as long as the employment offer specifies, up to one year, and this status may be extended indefinitely in one-year increments.

The TN category is similar to the H-1B except that it is also available to a non-academic professional at Idaho State University.

The following eligibility requirements have to be met:

  1. The profession has to be on the list of qualifying positions.
  2. The position requires the individual to have at least a baccalaureate degree or appropriate credentials demonstrating status as a professional.
  3. The individual possesses the requisite educational background and experience for that position.

The Office of Equity and Inclusion International Scholar Advisor can assist the Idaho State community in determining whether the TN visa is an appropriate one for the employee. Still, the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) makes the final decision on whether the individual qualifies for the TN classification.

The application procedure for TN status is not the same for Canadians and Mexicans.

Mexican nationals seeking TN status must comply with a procedure that is similar to that for H-1B classification. The Office of Equity and Inclusion assists the departments with this process.

Canadian nationals may obtain both initial status and the extension either through travel or through an application to the USCIS, filed by the Office of Equity and Inclusion.

For the additional information regarding TN status, please contact the Office of Equity and Inclusion International Scholar Advisor, Abdul Khalil Azizi, at and review the NAFTA handbook.

TD Dependents

The spouse and unmarried children under 21 of a TN visa holder are eligible for TD status.

Individuals in TD status are not permitted to work. If an individual in TD status is a Canadian citizen, he or she is exempt from the visa requirement.