Participating in a Group
After you've joined one or more groups, at any time you wish to participate in group activities, or see the latest news, click on the Groups icon in the upper right hand corner of your BengalWeb homepage. The Groups application window is displayed showing the My Groups page. The group(s) you belong to will be listed. To view a group homepage, click the group name.
Removing your membership from a group. While on the My Groups page, click the checkbox next to the appropriate group name, and then click the Remove button.
A group homepage is a page that allows members to use the functions and tools provided to the group.
The middle section of group homepages contain the following sections:
- Announcements. Lists the latest announcements posted on the homepage, and lets you access and view each announcement.
- Group News. Lets you view news articles and submit new articles for publication.
- Message Board Topics. Lists the current topics being discussed by members in the message board, and lets you access the message board.
The right hand section of group homepages contain these sections:
- Featured Photo. Displays a featured photograph, and provides links that let you view more photos and submit photos for publication.
- Featured Links. Displays featured Internet links, and provides links that let you view more links and submit links for publication.
- Sub-Groups. Lists sub-groups and allows you to access them (if any have been created).
The left-hand navigation menus on group homepages include the Group Tools and Personal Tools menu items.
The Group Tools menu can contain the following options (depending on which have been enabled by the Group Leader):
- Homepage. Returns you to the group or course homepage.
- Announcements. Lets you view some of the most recent announcements.
- News. Lets you view news articles and submit new articles for publication.
- Photos. Lets you view photos and submit new photos for publication.
- Links. Lets you view links and submit new links for publication.
- Files. Lets you view the files posted for sharing and submit a file for posting.
- Message Board. Lets you use the message board functionality.
- Calendar. Lets you access a calendar for the group or course.
- E-mail. Lets you send e-mail messages to group or course members.
- Chat. Lets you use chat functionality.
- Members. Lets you view members of the group or course.
The Personal Tools menu can contain the following options:
- Groups Policy. Displays your institution's policy for establishing online groups.
- My Profile. Lets you view your group member profile.
If you are a Group Leader you will also have Configuration Tools and Content Tools menu options that allow you to manage the tools provided to the group, its membership, and the content displayed on the homepage.
For more information about how to use any of the tools mentioned above, click on the (?) Help icon in the upper right hand corner of the Groups window.