Click here for more information.
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Tutoring and Workshops
In addition to credit courses (ENGL 1100 and AMST 1100), Student Success Center ESOL instructors offer non-native speakers of English enrolled at ISU the following help: one-on-one 60 minute tutoring appointments, workshops and excursions, International Teaching Assistant assessments and support, Accent Modification Evaluations (AME) in conjunction with ISU Department of Speech Pathology, and individualized self-improvement plans.
One-on-one 60 minute tutoring (call 208-282-3662 to make appointments):
- Receive feedback on all assignments and projects
- Practice oral presentations
- Refine pronunciation and develop skills for class discussions and interviews
- Improve your documentation skills for academic writing and speaking
- Strengthen your grammar and vocabulary for better writing and easier reading
- Develop an individualized self-improvement plan
- Take an Accent Modification Evaluation and follow-up for those who need professional level of spoken American English
- SPEAK assessment and follow-up for International Teaching Assistants
Workshops and Excursions:
- Orientation to Research and Library Data-base Use — Learn how to use the Oboler Library and its data-bases; email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates and times.
- Theatre Night Out — Attend dress rehearsal at Westside Players' Community Theatre at the Warehouse, 1009 South 2nd Ave.; transportation provided; to reserve your place, email email@example.com 24 hours in advance.
- Keys to Avoiding Plagiarism in Academic Papers and Presentations — Learn why plagiarism is a serious offense, how to avoid it through summarizing, paraphrasing, citing and documentation, how to create a Works Cited or References page, and where to find on-line resources. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates and times.
- Efficient Reading for Scholars — Learn "mapping" to increase your reading speed and comprehension. Email email@example.com for dates and times.
- Sounding American — Professional actors from many language backgrounds learn how to "sound American" and you can too. Learn strategies to lower the accent barrier and reduce the dreaded response, "Sorry, I don't understand." Email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates and times.
- Surviving Multiple Choice Tests — Success depends on understanding the logic used in constructing questions and on your knowledge of grammar, culture, idioms and synonyms. Get some surprising strategies. Email email@example.com for dates and times.
- Grammar Clinic — Tired of teachers marking you down for grammar, spelling, punctuation, or sentence structure errors? Bring your problem to any of these workshops and get the solution! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates and times.
Last Modified: 03/05/2015