What is the Students of Concern Team?
A collaborative campus-wide team that provides behavioral assessment and intervention directed toward students with critical needs and concerns. The team is administered through the ISU Office of Student Affairs.
What are the major functions and roles of the Students of Concern Team?
- Serves as a resource to campus community members with critical concerns about students’ behaviors and interactions.
- Receives referrals for concerns about students who are in critical distress (Distressing Students) and/or students who are threatening, disruptive, and/or aggressive (Threatening or Disruptive Students).
- Gathers pertinent and relevant information on referrals in order to determine a plan for services.
- Helps clarify the level of risk and threat in any occurrence or circumstance brought to the team’s attention.
- Coordinates timely and thoughtful responses and provision of support services for a student of concern and others impacted by this student.
- Ensures appropriate follow-up once interventions are identified and implemented.
When are a student’s behaviors considered to be at a level of critical concern or need for assistance?
Students who are in distress (Distressing Students)
A student whose behavior and use of resources are such that reasonable and informed parties are concerned about that student’s ability to succeed in the university environment and/or concerned about the student’s ability to succeed in a manner that is consistent with the individual’s own safety and welfare.
Students who are threatening, disruptive, and/or aggressive (Threatening or Disruptive Students)
A student whose behavior and use of resources are such that reasonable and informed parties are concerned about that student’s potential for engaging in violent and/or severely disruptive behavior.
Core Team Members (Referral Sources)
Steve Chatterton, Public Safety, 282-2515, email@example.com
Patricia Terrell, Vice-President of Student Affairs, 282-2794, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jane C. Coe Smith, Director of Student Life, 282-2794, email@example.com
Other Permanent Team Members
Ron Solbrig, Director and Physician, Student Health Center, 282-2330
Craig Thompson, Director, University Housing, 282-2120
Melissa Millican, Assistant Director, University Housing, 282-2120
Todd DeVries, Director, Disability Services, 282-3599
Casey Santee, Recruiter/Counselor, Veterans’ Sanctuary, 282-4298
Don Paulson, Director, University Counseling and Testing Service, 282-2130 Representative, General Counsel, 282-3390 [Advisory Capacity]
Specialty Team Members
(Based on individual student case)
Academic Deans/Faculty, Academic Advising, Financial Aid Office, International Programs,
ISU Religious Organizations, Campus Health Clinics and other systems as warranted.
Idaho Falls Campus
Public Safety, 282-2515 or 911
Ches Barnes, ISU Idaho Falls, Bennion Student Union, Director, 282-7866, firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Safety, 282-2515 or 911
Bessie M Katsilometes, ISU Meridian Administration, Dean, 373-1708, email@example.com
Twin Falls Campus
Chris Vaage, ISU Twin Falls, 282-4840, firstname.lastname@example.org