Guidelines for Writing Thank You Letters
Your letter should:
- Use a formal salutation including the appropriate prefixes and suffixes. Please DO NOT use first names when addressing your donor.
Good Example: Dear Dr. and Mrs. Smith
- Include a personal thank you for their contribution to the specific scholarship that you received.
- Include information about your interests and activities, what the scholarship means to you, and your goals for the future.
Good Examples: extracurricular activities, your major, career plans, family, etc.
- Sign your letter.
Once you have written your letter:
- Prepare an envelope with the donor's name, but DO NOT SEAL THE ENVELOPE.
- Send your letter(s) with the unsealed envelope(s) with your acceptance form(s) to:
ISU Scholarship Office 921 South 8th Avenue, Stop 8391 Pocatello, ID 83209-8391
These letters are greatly appreciated by the donors and definitely impact their future generosity to ISU, so please take the time to edit your letter and make it special.
Upon receipt, your thank you letter will be reviewed for appropriateness, grammar, and spelling, then copied for our files, and mailed to the donor via the ISU Foundation Office.