Using Controlled Substances in Research
Controlled substances used in research are regulated by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
Research Outreach & Compliance (ROC) Division complies with DEA recommendations and requirements by publishing the following directions, with in-house forms, providing links to DEA direction and their forms.
ROC has oversight of projects and people registered under Title 21 CFR 1300 – 1321.
What does DEA require to Register for use of Controlled Substances?
- Read the Controlled Substances Act – 21 CFR 1300 to end
- Complete DEA Form 225 – Manufacturer, Distributor, Researcher, Canine Handler, Analytical Laboratory, Importer, Exporter
- Register with Idaho State Board of Pharmacy
What does ISU require, once you are Registered?
- Provide Research Outreach & Compliance with copies (pdf file via email to email@example.com) within 10 business days of license receipt:
- DEA License
- Idaho State Board of Pharmacy license
- Protocol submitted to DEA with application
- Follow ISU Purchasing rules when buying controlled substances for research
- Contact Wendy Holder, Buyer, with questions, (208) 282-3111
- Dispose of controlled substances and their by-products through ISU Technical Safety Office
- Contact TSO with disposal questions, (208) 282-2310
- Use ISU-specific forms for controlled substance management
- Controlled Substance Order Form
- Controlled Substance Log
- Drug Disposal Log
- Drugs on Hand
- Drug Check out Log
- Participate in ROC bi-annual inspection (records & security)
- Follow other applicable ISU rules related to research and protocols
Which Policy Applies?
Controlled Substance Procedure and Policy questions
Controlled Substance Disposal
Technical Safety Officer
Please use the Hazardous Waste Disposal Request form
Research Outreach & Compliance (ROC)
Contact Our Office:
Export Control Officer
1651 Alvin Ricken Drive, Room 107
Pocatello, ID 83201
921 S. 8th Ave., Stop 8046
Pocatello, ID 83209-8046