Public Safety

 

  • ISU Department of Public Safety
  • Public Safety: 282-2515
  • Parking: 282-2625
  • Bengal Card Services: 282-3618
  • Email Public Safety
Image Placeholder
ISU Public
          Safety

Parking Board Agendas & Minutes - 2009

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
February 5, 2009  @ 3:00 p.m.
Oboler Library, Room B-16
University Place, Room 208

Old Business

I.    None

New Business

I.    Photocopying Permits - Connie Gomez

II.    Handicap Permits - Carma Madsen


Parking Board Meeting

February 5, 2009
ObolerLibrary Room B-16
University Place Room 208

Members Present at the Meeting

Connie Gomez - University Place
Carma Madsen - CEC
Jay McMillan - COPE
John Fitzen - Applied Tec Faculty
Jenny Semenza - Academic Faculty
Phil Deaton - Univ. Of Idaho

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director - Public Safety
Joseph Han - Associate Vice President - Facilities Services
DeAnna Hopkins, Office Specialist II - Public Safety

Old Business

I.     None

New Business

I.    Photocopying Permits

At the request of Connie Gomez it was proposed that the following be added to the parking regulations:
   
“Permits may not be reproduced or copied for use in a person’s vehicle (to include campers, trailers and boats).  Any reproduced or copied permit used in this manner shall be considered an altered/forged permit and will be subject to the current fine amount for said violation.”

This addition to the regulations was proposed due to an incident where a student considered it acceptable to photocopy a permit and use the permit in another vehicle.  All members present voted on and approved this addition to the regulations.    

II.    Price of Disabled Permits Used in Reserved Lots

At the request of Carma Madsen, the price of disabled permits that are being used in reserved lots was discussed.  Director Chatterton explained the process used to obtain an ISU disabled permit.  He also advised that the board could make recommendations to change the fee structure.  Any changes would need to be approved by the ADA office and the University legal advisor.  Director Chatterton will discuss this with legal counsel and the ADA office and report at the next meeting.  Information will also be obtained to ascertain how other universities set their fee schedule for disabled permits and report at the next meeting.

III.   Snow Removal

At the request of Director Chatterton, a proposal was made to establish a “Snow Removal Procedure.”  The proposal asks  for the removal of vehicles parked in areas that are a hazard when it snows or need to be moved to facilitate snow removal.  This will be written up and presented at the next meeting.

         

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Parking Board Meeting
 March 5, 2009  @ 3:00 p.m.
Oboler Library, Room B-7
University Place, CHE Rm. 308

Old Business

I.    Snow Removal Proposal

II.   Disabled Parking Permit Prices


New Business

I.    Parking for Pregnant Employees

Parking Board Meeting

March 5, 2009
ObolerLibrary Room B-7
University Place CHE Rm. 308

Members Present at the Meeting

Connie Gomez - University Place
John Fitzen - Applied Tec Faculty
Jenny Semenza - Academic Faculty
Phil Deaton - Univ. Of Idaho

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director - Public Safety
DeAnna Hopkins, Office Specialist II - Public Safety

Old Business

I.    Snow Removal Proposal

This proposal was sent to Board members prior to the meeting.  It was approved as written with the addition of a statement about vehicles that have to be moved. They are to be moved to another University owned location, if possible, rather than a private storage lot.  The revised proposal will be forwarded to the administration for final approval.

II.   Disabled Parking Permit Prices

Director Chatterton discussed the option of charging the same price as a regular reserved lot permit for employees who purchase disabled permits and then park in the reserved lots closest to their place of employment.  He had discussed this with University Counsel and the ADA office regarding legal ramifications of this option.  Both offices advised that a fee structure could be established to charge different prices.  The Board voted and approved to charge the current reserved lot price for employees that regularly park in reserved lots and the current general lot price for those who regularly park in general lots.  This will be forwarded to the administration for final

New Business

I.     Parking for Pregnant Employees

This was brought to the board because of a situation where a temporary employee, who is pregnant, wanted a disabled permit to be able to park in a reserved lot without having to follow the current established procedures to obtain a disabled permit.  Director Chatterton discussed this with the ADA office and they indicated that pregnancy alone is not a disability unless there is a underlying medical condition.  If that is the case there is a procedure in place to obtain a disabled parking permit.  The Board discussed this and came to the conclusion that the established procedures are in compliance with ADA regulations and that the current guidelines should be followed.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Thursday, April 16, 2009  @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Room Room B-7
University Place CHE 314

Old Business

I.    None

New Business

I.    Additions to Parking Regulations - Steve Chatterton
II.    Parking Fee Rate Increase - Joseph Han
III.    Official Business Permits - Joseph Han
IV.    Shuttle Service - Joseph Han
V.    Specially assigned parking spaces - Joseph Han

Parking Board Meeting

Thursday, April 16, 2009  @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Room B-7
University Place CHE 314

Members Present at the Meeting

Connie Gomez, University Place
Carma Madsen, CEC
John Fitzen, Applied Tec Faculty
Phil Homan, for Jenny Semenza, Academic Faculty
Brooke Norman, Academic Student

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director - Public Safety
Linda Tobias, Management Assistant - Public Safety
Joseph Han, Associate Vice President - Facilities Services
Bonnie Knutson, Fiscal Officer - Facilities Services
Greg Horton, Director of Facilities Operations
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office

Old Business

I.     None

New Business

I.     Changes to Parking Regulations

A request was made by Public Safety to add the following to the Parking Regulations.   

Under the heading Decal Permit: Failure to display your decal in the above manner may result in the issuance of a parking citation for improper permit display.

Under the heading Hang Tag Permit: Failure to display your hang tag in the above manner may result in the issuance of a parking citation for improper permit display.

A motion to amend as stated was made, a vote taken and the motion carried.

An additional proposal was made to add the following under Appeals:
   
Appeals will be reviewed by the Public Safety Operations Manager, or a designated full time employee of Public Safety.  The Operations Manager, or designee, will determine if there are special circumstances and whether or not the appeal should move forward or be handled administratively.  These special circumstances may include, but are not limited to the following:

  1. Appeals that qualify for a hang tag warning
  2. Appeals that address an issue outside the standard procedures followed by the parking office
  3. Complaints that are submitted on an appeal’s form and address issues other than the validity of the ticket
  4. When tickets have already been settled, i.e., paid, warned or voided

A motion to amend was made, a vote taken and the motion carried.

II.    Request to Increase Parking Permit Fees

Joseph Han presented information regarding the need to increase parking permit fees and the over all financial situation of the parking budget.  There is a need to establish a Sustainability Fund to maintain and develop parking.   Currently parking maintenance is in competition for Public Works funds which takes away from other Public Works projects.   He explained the need to develop funds for possible future parking structures.  No specific recommendation was addressed at this time.

III.    Use of Official Business Passes

Joseph Han discussed the use of Official Business Passes and the impact they have on the over all parking situation. 

   

The following issues were brought forward:

  1. A permit must be purchased to qualify for an Official Business Pass

  2. Departments would be allowed a specific number of free passes with the option of purchasing additional permits if needed

  3. Use a different kind of permit for individuals from the community that serve on advisory committees

  4. The number of passes issued each year  (1,146 for 2008/2009)

Tabled until next meeting

IV.    Campus Bus Service

A very brief discussion about the Campus Shuttle service was presented by Joseph Han.  He stated that he felt it should be continued but funded in a different manner, not from parking fees.  Tabled until next meeting.

V.    Special Assigned Parking Spaces

The item regarding special assigned parking spaces was tabled until the next meeting.

Meeting adjourned.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Thursday, September 24, 2009 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Room B-32
University Place Room 314

Old Business

I.    None

New Business

  1. Official Business Passes/Guest Passes: Joseph Han.
  2. Official Business Pass: Change in regulations to require users of Official Business Passes to purchase a permit.  To be addressed with item I.
  3. Set day & Time for future meetings.
  4. Faculty/Staff reserved lot permit sales - current holders preferential sales: Carma Madsen

Parking Board Meeting

Thursday, September 24,2009  @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Room B-32
University Place CHE 314

Members Present at the Meeting

Connie Gomez, University Place
John Fitzen, Applied Tec Faculty
Holly Bullock, Academic Student
Phil Deaton, Univ. of Idaho Faculty
Dustin Mortimer, ISU Student at Univ. Place

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director - Public Safety
Joseph Han, Assoc. Vice President - Facilities Services
Linda Tobias, Management Assistant - Public Safety
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office

Old Business

I.     None

New Business

I.     Review of Bylaws:

This was not on the agenda, however Joseph Han requested the By-Laws be reviewed to make sure we are in compliance and for clarification of the role of the Parking Board   He explained that the purpose of the Parking Board is to make recommendations and comments, which are then sent to the Associate Vice President of Facilities Services who in turn forwards it on with comments to the Vice President of Finance and from there to the President for a decision.

Phil Deaton stated that the Local Operations Committee (LOC) needs to be involved.  Joseph advised the board that any concerns that affects University Place or the University of Idaho are taken into consideration prior to a decision being made.  He also stated that the approval of the LOC was not required but they would be kept informed and comments, suggestions and recommendations were welcome at any time.

II.    Official Business Passes/Guest Passes:

Joseph Han discussed the proposal made to the Deans, Department Chairs and Directors, that was sent out August 31st, and stated that it was still out for review.  Most of the board members had not seen the proposal.  The parking office will forward a copy to each board member for members to review with the group they represent.  Comments and recommendations are to be emailed to Connie Gomez, who will make a formal recommendation at the next meeting.   

Phil Deaton had a concern about how parking funds were used.  Joseph explained that parking funds are considered an auxiliary, and are used primarily for maintenance of parking facilities.  He said that if Department of Public Works funds are used for parking infrastructure it takes away from other needs in areas that can not generate funds from other sources.   The final decision of how funds are expended is made by the University President.  Joseph also advised the board that the State Board of Education regulates where student fees are used.

III.    Date and time of future meetings:

The board decided to meet the third Thursday of each month at 3:30, for the remainder of the semester.  This is contingent upon the availability of tele-conference rooms being available.  DeAnna will check and advise the board by email.   

Connie Gomez recommended a change of Article VII of the By-Laws regarding the day meetings are to be held, to state “Meeting  time and date will be as agreed upon by common consensus of the Board members at the first meeting of the Academic year.  Meetings will be held monthly or as needed.”  A vote was taken with unanimous approval.   

IV.    Faculty/Staff reserved lot permit sales:

This was held over as Carma Madsen was not present.

Meeting adjourned.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Thursday, October 15, 2009 @ 3:30 p.m.
Library Room B-16 in Pocatello
CHE Room 314 at University Place

Old Business

I.     Approve minutes from last meeting

II.    Faculty/Staff Reserved Lot permit sales - current holders preferential sales -
       Carma Madsen
 

New Business

I.    Human Powered Vehicle Polict - Steve Chatterton

II.    Oversell R-01 Lot - Steve Chatterton

III.    Consider a 2 to 4 hours work session for overview of parking - Joseph         Han

IV.    Official Business Passes/Guest Passes/Lot closure fees - Joseph Han



Parking Board Meeting

Thursday, October 15, 2009  @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Room B-16 in Pocatello
University Place CHE 314 at University Place

Members Present at the Meeting

Connie Gomez - University Place           
Carma Madsen - CEC
Melissa Moon - COPE
John Fitzen - Applied Tec Faculty
Jenny Semenza - Academic Faculty
Phil Deaton - U of I  Faculty
Dustin Mortimuer - University Place  Student
Eliza Law - U of I Student
Holly Bullock - Academic Student
Sara Messenger - Academic Student

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director - Public Safety
Linda Tobias, Management Assistant - Public Safety
Shandra Roessler - University Place Security
DeAnna Hopkins - Parking Office

Old Business

Prior to the start of any discussion of items on the agenda, Connie Gomez, Parking Board Chair, asked  the members to keep in mind that they are an advisory board only and their function is to make recommendations.  Also, she stated that the By Laws do not address the question regarding changes to the make-up of the board or any other amendment to the By Laws.  It was noted that the agenda and a copy of the prior meeting minutes have not been forwarded to members three days prior to the next meeting as stated in the By Laws. 

The following changes were proposed with a motion to amend, a vote taken and the motion carried:

1.    Under Article III - Membership

Add:  One representative from the ISU-Meridian campus.

2.    Under Article VII - Meetings - Regarding agenda items -

Add:  At the start of the meeting a motion to amend the agenda may be made by any member.

Remove:  There is a limit of one agenda item per board member per meeting.

A copy of the minutes of the previous meeting, along with a copy of the current agenda will be forwarded to each board member three days prior to the next scheduled meeting.  (Minutes are also available on the Public Safety web page five day after the last meeting.)

I.     Minute from previous meeting were approved.

II.    Faculty/Staff Reserve Lot permits

A proposal was made by Carma Madsen to allow faculty who have purchased a reserve lot permit for the current year to reserve the same pass for the next year ahead of others.  Currently all lots, with the exception of R02/R03 are available for purchase on May 1st each year on a first come first served basis. Reminder notices are also sent by the parking office prior to that date.  In the next year the parking office should have new software that will allow better reports to allow them to possibly implement this type of request.  It was agreed by the board to wait to make a decision until after the new software is in place.

New Business

I.     Oversell R-01 Lot

Kellie Law, College of Business,  was present to make a request that the R-01 lot be oversold in excess of the 5% allowed by the parking regulations.  She was requesting that additional permits be made available for herself and one other individual who had returned to campus after all R-01 permits had been sold.   It was noted that the 5% oversell allowed goes to new hires first and that there were other new hires on the R01 waiting list who had not been allowed to purchase an R-01 permit. A motion was made to table this request until it could be determine how many individuals were on the waiting list and what their status is, i.e., new hires, current faculty/staff, etc., and to continue the lot survey. A vote was taken and the motion carried.

II.    Human Powered Vehicle Policy

A recommendation was made by the Safety Committee to add the proposed  Human Powered Vehicle Policy to the parking regulations.  The Safety & Bike Committees have both approved this in the current form and recommended the parking board approve as submitted.  Most board members had not had an opportunity to review the recommended policy, so this was held over until the next meeting with a request for Public Safety to establish a proposed fine schedule to be included.
   

III.    Work Session to Review Parking

This was on the agenda at the request of Joseph Han, who was not in attendance.  Members of the board agreed this was needed.  Connie Gomez will work to set this up.

IV.    Official Business Passes/Guest Passes/Lot Closure Fees

Joseph Han was requesting that the Parking Board comment and make recommendations for the proposal that he was preparing to be sent to the administration for approval.  As he was not present to answer questions, it was recommended that a memo be prepared by Connie to advise that they were not prepared to give options at this time.  It was determined that further discussion was necessary with Joseph and that recommendations would be complied after the work session discussed in item III.


Meeting adjourned.



Last Modified: 12/02/09 at 01:14:42 PM