Public Safety

 

  • ISU Department of Public Safety
  • Public Safety: 282-2515
  • Parking: 282-2625
  • Bengal Card Services: 282-3618
  • Email Public Safety
Image Placeholder
ISU Public Safety

Parking Board Minutes and Agendas - 2005

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, January 12, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Changes to Regulations regarding Disabled Parking Permits were approved by Pres. Bowen.

II. Retiree Permits: Review changes to wording in regulations

III. University Place:
Make up of Parking Board
Time of regulation
Type’s of permits valid
Appeals committee

New Business

Parking Board Meeting

January 12, 2005 @ 3:00p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Members Present at the Meeting

Ivan Bullock - Applied Tech Faculty
Scott Jepsen - COPE

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director - Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock - Operations Manager, Public Safety
DeAnna Hopkins - Parking

Old Business

There were not enough members present to take any action on agenda items. They will be carried over to the next meeting.

New Business

A block of time was set aside for students to discuss parking concerns that had come up since the last parking board meeting. There were no students at the meeting. No action taken.

Meeting adjourned at 3:43.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Friday, February 18, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. University Place representation on the Parking Board

New Business

I. Parking Passes for Housing - Shari Klippenstein

II. Guest Passes on the Internet - Shari Klippenstein

III. Reserved Parking permits in General Lots - Martin Hackworth

IV. ELC Parking issues - Martin Hackworth

V. Reserved parking at the Performing Arts Center - Steve Chatterton

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, February 18, 2005

Members Present at the Meeting

Ivan Bullock, Applied Tech Faculty Member
Scott Jepsen, COPE
Martin Hackworth, Academic Faculty Member
Dayna Redman, Applied Tech Student

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director, Public Safety
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office
Shari Klippenstein, Housing Office

Old Business

I. University Place representation on the Parking Board: No one has been assigned at this time.

New Business

I. Parking Passes for Housing

Shari Klippenstein requested that some kind of special parking permits be issued for housing personnel. Steve explained that this is what the Official Business Passes are issued for.

II. Guest Passes on the Internet

Shari Klippenstein requested that Guest Passes for Housing Lots be made available on the internet. The main concern regarding this was controls on who could get the passes and the abuse of such. Also, the technical capability to make something like this available was discussed. Martin Hackworth volunteered to discuss this possibility with the Computer Center and report back at a later date.

III. ELC Parking Issues

Martin Hackworth stated that he had received requests to control the parking of Official or University vehicles in the ELC drop-off area. Parking will contact the ELC and find options to deal with this problem.

IV. Reserved Parking permits valid in General Lots

Martin Hackworth requested that the Board look at the possibility of allowing Reserved parking permit holders to use there permits in General Lots. Steve Chatterton explained that this was the way it was in the past. This was a big issue with students who felt that this was not equitable as General permits were not allowed in Reserve lots. Steve also explained that the use Official Business Passes was started to alleviate the problem of faculty/staff having to do business on other parts of campus where their permit was not valid.

V. Reserved Parking at the Performing Arts Center

Steve explained that several individuals had requested that the small parking lot at the PAC be made into a Reserved parking lot. A sufficient response had not been received from individuals that this would impact to make a recommendation at this time.

There were not enough board members present at this meeting to vote on any of the above items. Meeting adjourned at 4:06 p.m.

Agenda

Friday, March 25, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library teleconference room 313

Old Business

I. Reserved parking at the Performing Arts Center.

New Business

I. Summer ticketing at University Place - Connie Gomez

II. Ticketing at times classes are not in session - Scott Jepsen

Parking Board Meeting

Friday, March 25, 2005

Members Present at the Meeting

Ivan Bullock, Applied Tech Faculty
Scott Jepsen, COPE
Connie Patchin, CEC
Martin Hackworth, Academic Faculty
Dayna Redman, Applied Tech Student
Cameron Homer, Academic Student
Connie Gomez, University Place

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director, Public Safety
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office

Old Business

I. Reserved Parking at the Performing Arts Center

A proposal was made to make the small parking lot on the southwest side of the Performing Arts Center a reserved lot. A query was made of faculty and staff that are at the center. The results were 7 yes, 2 no and 1 no response. A vote was taken and approved to recommend this lot be made a reserve lot with the designation of R-12.

New Business

I. Summer Ticketing at University Place

Connie Gomez, made a motion that parking regulations be enforced during the summer at University Place. All members voted to recommend approval of this action.

II. Ticketing When Classes Are Not In Session

Scott Jepson asked about the policy of ticketing during times that classes are not in session. It was explained that even when students are not in classes, faculty and staff are still on campus. The current Parking Regulations were reviewed and no changes were recommended.

III. Amendment of By-Laws

Ivan Bullock requested consideration be given to change the By-Laws to allow for a simple majority to make recommendations. This was presented as a result of not being able to take action on items that needed attention because there were not enough members present at the past two meetings to take a vote under the current By-Laws. It was discussed and voted on and approved to make the change with the stipulation that at least four entities be present before a vote could be taken.

IV. Parking Pass for CEC Employee of the Year

Connie Patchin, CEC representative, requested a free general parking permit be made available to be awarded to the CEC Employee of the year. This was approved by the board.

V. Concerns About Linking Plates To Students

Cameron Homer addressed the issue of linking plates to students when they don’t register a vehicle to a permit. Steve explained that when a vehicle is linked to a student the parking office sends a letter to that student or other individual advising them of that fact. This gives them an opportunity to come in and talk to parking about the citations.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Friday, April 22, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library - Room 30

Old Business

I. Changes to By-Laws

New Business

I. Parking vehicles with trailers attached - Connie Gomez

II. Training - Connie Gomez

III. Procedures for suspending ticketing at University Place - Connie Gomez

IV. Littering - Steve Chatterton

Parking Board Meeting

Friday, April 22, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library - Room 30

Members Present at the Meeting

Ivan Bullock, Applied Tech Faculty Member
Scott Jepsen, COPE
Connie Gomez, University Place
Jason Walker, ISU Student Body Pres. For University Place

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director, Public Safety
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office

Old Business

I. None

New Business

I. Parking Vehicles With Trailers Attached

Connie Gomez from University Place ask for clarification regarding allowing vehicles with trailers to park in university parking. The current parking regulations were reviewed and a recommendation was made and approved to add the following to the current regulations: “Parking in more than one space is prohibited.” This is to be added under Section VI - General Regulations. The current regulations already address the requirement of having a permit for the attached object.

II. Training

Removed from agenda by Connie Gomez as this was not a parking board issue.

III. Procedures for Suspending Ticketing During Events at University Place

This was discussed and the current procedure of using the calendar to post events would continue to be used for the time being. Also, if 49 or less attendees were expected guest passes would be issued. It would be the responsibility of the person in charge of the event to issue the passes. If 50 or more were expected, ticketing would be suspended with the stipulation that students attending classes would still be cited.

IV. Littering

Steve Chatterton discussed adding a provision to the parking regulations for citing individuals who deliberately litter on university property. This is in reference to individuals tearing up citations and throwing them on the ground. No action was taken as one member of the board left early.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Room 66

Old Business

I. Littering: Steve discussed adding a provision to the parking regulations for citing individuals who deliberately litter on University property. This is in reference to individuals tearing up citations and throwing them on the ground. No action was taken as one member of the board left early.

New Business

I. Students parking in visitor spaces at Univ. Place -Connie Gomez

II. Law Library spaces signed for immediate tow.- Gene Warren, by memo

III. Provision for issuing summer permits for Reserved Lots. - Steve Chatterton

IV. Additional DISABLED parking spaces in the R-01 lot. - Steve Chatterton

V. Short term parking for summer programs. - Doug Milder

VI. Additional meters by Reed Gym. - Doug Milder

VII. Number of R-07 permits allotted to the Credit Union - Steve Chatterton

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 @ 3:00pm
Library - Room 66

Members Present at the Meeting

Ivan Bullock, Applied Tech Faculty
Debbie Dahlquist, COPE
Saran Bloom, Academic Student
Connie Gomez, University Place

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director, Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Operations Manager, Public Safety
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office
Douglas Milder, Campus Recreation
Joel Webb, Campus Recreation

Old Business

I. Littering: Steve Chatterton

Not discussed, put on agenda for next meeting.

New Business

I. Students Parking in Visitor Spaces at University Place

Connie Gomez brought up the problem of students using the visitor spaces in front of the Bennion Student Union Building. In the past they have allowed students to use the spaces for 15 minutes to drop off or pick up items from the BSUB but that is no longer working as they stay past the allotted time. There are no meters and individual spaces are not signed. It was recommended that individual spaces be signed specifically for visitors, with no faculty/staff or students allowed. Also, that 2 or 3 spaces be signed specifically to allow students or faculty/staff to have 15 minutes to do business at the BSUB. This recommendation was voted on and approved by the members present.

II. Law Library Spaces Signed For Immediate Tow

Gene Warren from the Library requested that the spaces reserved for patrons of the Law Library be signed with immediate tow signs, the same as Museum and Cosmetology patron parking are. The board agreed with this recommendation and voted for approval.

III. Provision For Issuing Summer Permits For Reserved Lots

This was carried over until the next meeting to give the individual parking board members a chance to discuss it with the groups they represent.

IV. Additional Disabled Parking Spaces in The R-01 Lot

Steve explained that there were more disabled spaces than required by law and that individuals with disabled parking permits were allowed to park in any legal space whether marked or not. The board discussed this with a recommendation that no action be taken.

V. Short Term Parking for Summer Programs

It was determined that this was really an administrative issue. Campus Recreation will meet with the Operations Manger at Public Safety to come up with some specific recommendations that can then be presented to the board.

VI. Additional Meters at Reed Gym

This was requested by Doug Milder from Campus Recreation. The board discussed this with no specific recommendations made.

VII. Number of R-07 Permits Allotted to the Credit Union

In the past the Credit Union has been allowed to purchase R-07 permits for their employees on the first day that Reserved Lot permits go on sale. Over the years the number of employees has increased until they buy about 28 of the available 32 permits. It was presented to the board to determine if they felt they should be allowed to continue or a limit should be set for the number they can purchase. It was determined that the individual board members needed input from the groups they represent and it would be discussed at the next meeting.

The next Parking Board Meeting is scheduled for October 13, 2005 at 3:00pm in the Oboler Library, Room 66.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Thursday October 13, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library Room 30

Old Business

I. Littering - Steve Chatterton
II. Disabled Parking - Steve Chatterton
III. Number of R-07 permits allotted to the Credit Union.
IV. Provision for issuing summer permits for reserved lots.

New Business

I. Meters at Reed Gym - Steve Chatterton
II. Memo from Paul Link.
III. Parking at the Performing Arts Center - Connie Patchin

Parking Board Meeting

Thursday, October 13, 2005
Room 30, Library

Members Present at the Meeting

Ivan Bullock, Applied Tec Faculty
Connie Patchin, CEC
Debbie Dahlquist, COPE
Martin Hackworth, Academic Faculty
Sara Bloom, Academic Student
Connie Gomez, University Place

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Terrilee Hancock, Parking/Security Supervisor
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office

Old Business

I. Littering

Steve Chatterton requested that a provision be made for citing individuals who deliberately litter. This is in reference to individuals tearing up citations and throwing them on the ground. It was recommended and approved by Board members present that a littering violation be added to the citation with a fine amount of $20.00.

II. Disabled Parking

After a report on the survey made regarding the number of disabled parking spaces available in R-01 and G-11the Board recommended that no changes be made at this time.

III. Number of R-07 permits allotted to the Credit Union

This was put back on the schedule for next meeting to allow for a report on what status credit union employees have as ISU staff.

IV. Provision for Issuing Summer Permits for Reserved Lots

This was brought up by the parking office as some of the reserved lots are not used to capacity during the summer sessions. Students were requesting to be able to purchase permits in these lots for the summer. The Board discussed this and decided not to take any action at this time. They felt that there was enough faculty and most staff on campus during the summer who had reserved lot permits that it would be unfair to issue additional permits.

New Business

I. Meters at Reed Gym

As a follow up to the concerns of Douglas Milder, Campus Recreation, the Board voted and approved that the existing meters be signed as “visitor only” meters, with no faculty/staff or student authorized to park in these spaces.

II. Memo from Paul Link

He was requesting that reserved lot permits be valid in general lots and that faculty with permits should only be given warning citations. Terrilee explained that the current reserved lot regulations are in place because of a prior agreement with faculty and the ASISU student body. The Board agreed no action was necessary.

III. Parking at the Performing Arts Center

Connie Patchin expressed a concern of CEC that visitors to the new Performing Arts Center were receiving tickets because the parking lot is a general lot and permits are required. It was explained that if an event is going on during regular ticketing hours we do not cite vehicles in that lot during that time. Also, the parking office will provide guest passes that can be issued at the PAC for individual visitors.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Thursday, December 8, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library - Room 30

Old Business

I. Number of R-07 permits allotted to the Credit Union

New Business

I. Motorcycle Parking - Martin Hackworth

Parking Board Meeting

Thursday, December 8, 2005 @ 3:00 p.m.
Library - Room 30

Members Present at the Meeting

Ivan Bullock, Applied Tec Faculty
Debbie Dahlquist, COPE
Martin Hackworth, Academic Faculty
Noah House, Academic Student
Connie Gomez, University Place
John Fenstermaker, ISU Student from Univ. Place

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Steve Chatterton, Director, Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Operations Manager
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office

Old Business

I. Number of R-07 permits allotted to the Credit Union

In the past the ISU Credit Union has been allowed to purchase R-07 permits for their employees on the first day that Reserved Lot permits go on sale. Over the years the number of employees has increased until they purchase most of the available 32 permits. It was determined that credit union employees are not paid by the University but have some privileges on campus. The board recommended that they be limited to10 spaces when permits first go on sale. They would be allowed to purchase any additional available spaces on the first day of registration, prior to permits in that lot being made available to students. This recommendation was voted on and approved.

New Business

I. Motorcycle Parking

Martin Hackworth discussed the lack of clear signs and paint indications that are designated for motorcycle parking. It was determined that he would get with Public Safety in the spring to do a survey of the entire campus and make specific recommendations to the Board at that time.

Last Modified:03/18/09 at 11:36:33 AM