Public Safety

 

  • ISU Department of Public Safety
  • Public Safety: 282-2515
  • Parking: 282-2625
  • Bengal Card Services: 282-3618
  • Email Public Safety
Image Placeholder
ISU Public
          Safety

Parking Board Agendas and Minutes - 2003

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, February 5, 2003

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Barb Cunningham, COPE Representative
Ivan Bullock, Applied Tech Faculty Member
Rachel Aughney, Academic Student
Dev Sasser, Applied Tech Student
Nandita Das, Academic Faculty Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Operations Manager, Public Safety
Linda Deck, Director, Idaho Museum of Natural History

Old Business

I. No discussion of old business was required.

New Business

I. Museum Parking

Linda Deck from the Idaho Museum of Natural History was present to discuss problems with the current parking arrangements for the Museum. Nine parking spaces are currently designated for museum parking. They are adjacent to the general lot and parking in those spaces is continuallyviolated by students, faculty & staff using them for general parking and ISU Official Vehicles that are parking in them. Ticketing does not seem to deter people from parking there. Visitors have let the museum staff know that the reason they do not return is because of the inability to find parking. These visitors would have paid admission, and so this results in a loss of revenue for the Museum. An increased interest in the Museum is anticipated this spring with the opening of “Dinosaur Times in Idaho.”

She suggested that a possible solution would be for the museum parking to be designated and signed with the same fines and towing enforcement as the client parking used for the Cosmetology patrons. Also, that the signs be changed to state what the increased fine is.

A vote was taken and approved to increase the fines to $30.00 for the first offense with the fine amount stated on the sign with the additional information that violators are subject to the fine plus being towed. Also, that any changes that are implemented be advertised.

The second problem she addressed was that there are no parking spaces designated for those having business with the Museum, such as vendors and contractors. There was some confusion about the actual number and location of Official Vehicle Spaces.

This problem was not addressed so will be put back on the agenda for the next meeting of the Parking Board.

II. Handicap Parking Regulation Changes

Steve Chatterton explained the procedures now being used by the Parking Office in regards to determination of qualification for and issuing of handicap permits. It was determined that enough information was not provided to take a vote on changing the actual wording in the regulations.

The motion to change the regulations was held until additional clarification of what the intent is can be obtained.

III. Idaho on the Move

Barbara Cunningham explained that more information would be provided at a later date about the program being implemented on campus called “Idaho on the Move.” Also, that they were hoping to make step counters available for sale on campus.

IV. Fine Boxes

There are four fine boxes currently on campus. They are not being utilized very much and Public Safety would like to take them down. It was decided to approve taking three of them down and leave the one in front of Public Safety where it is.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, April 2, 2003@ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Museum Parking
II. Disabled Parking

New Business

I. Letter from students regarding Disabled Parking
II. Parking for participants in CW HOG

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, April 2, 2003

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Barb Cunningham, COPE Representative
Rachel Aughney, Academic Student

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety

Old Business

I. Fine increase for Museum Parking

Steve Chatterton reported that the increase had been approved by Darrell Buffaloe and President Bowen. Public Safety is in the process of having signs made to state the new fine amount and they will be installed as soon as they are complete.

II. Fine Boxes

The fine boxes have been removed and the Information Desk at the Student Union was advised so they can answer questions and direct people drop them in the Campus Mail.

III. Handicap Parking

Donna Johnston reported that she had talked to Todd Devries. He was going to write something up and come to a Parking Board meeting, but she has heard nothing more.

IV. Idaho on the Move

Barbara Cunningham reported monthly meetings are being held but progress is slow, so she had nothing new to report.

New Business

I. Letter From Student Regarding Disabled Parking

A letter from Charloette Kissel was discussed. She thinks that ISU Disabled Parking permits should not be required or that they not be charged for. She also feels that the $40.00 a year charge is too much. It was explained that this is the same price as a general permit and similar to what other universities charge. The question was discussed as to whether students with disabilities are asking for preferential consideration or if they want to be treated like everyone else. It was explained that this matter has been discussed with previous parking boards and it was decided that they are students, staff and faculty and should be subject to the same rules. Also, it is a significant savings for them to purchase a disabled permit because it allows them to park in any reserved lot for $40.00 a year, where anyone else has to pay $75.00 for a designated reserve lot permit. Also, they have many of the prime parking spaces. It was also explained that visitors who have state disabled permits are not ticketed and can park in any space.

No vote was taken as there was not enough board members present.

II. Letter from CW HOG

This was not on the agenda, however it addresses similar issues regarding disabled parking. CW HOG sponsors programs at the Gym for which participants pay a fee when they register for the class. Even though they pay a fee to participate most of them are not registered students, they only pay the participation fee. They all have state disabled parking permits, and are parking at the gym without ISU parking permits, therefore, they are being ticketed. Most participants in CW HOG do not have access to other funds to help offset additional fees. Public Safety is willing to have CW HOG collect the tickets and send them to the parking office.

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, May 7, 2003

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC
Ivan Bullock, Applied Tech. Faculty
Dev Sasser, Applied Tech. Student
Nandita Das, Academic Faculty
Rachel Aughney, Academic Students

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Terrilee Hancock, Public Safety Operations Manager
DeAnna Hopkins, Parking Office

Old Business

1. Disabled Parking
No new information was available. A vote was taken not to change the way the rules were written.

New Business

1. Changes to Parking Regulations Regarding Towing Procedures

Recommended changes were discussed. Changes were recommended as proposed, with the exception of adding the AutoTech/Collision Repair restricted parking to the areas that would be subject to immediate tow.

2. Parking at AutoTech/Collision Repair

The problem of students parking in the restricted area that is reserved for vehicles that are being worked on was discussed. It was recommended that this area be added to the Parking Regulations as one of the areas subject to immediate tow. It was also recommended that the area be signed to warn individuals of the consequence of parking there with notification sent to Dave Treasure, Bob Jenkins, Russell Butler, and Deb Thompson of the decision made.

3. Use of Motorized Vehicles on the Quad

The memo from Peter Joyce to Steve Chatterton regarding the use of motorized vehicles on the Quad was discussed. It was suggested that maybe this was an issue for the Safety Committee rather than the Parking Board. It was decided that student officers from Public Safety should conduct a survey to determine the extent and scope of the problem.

4. Loading Zone Parking on South side of Hold Arena

There is no Loading Zone parking on the South side of Holt Arena. It was explained that the road right next to the arena is a Fire Zone. It was discussed and voted on that no changes would be recommended at this time.

5. Parking of Maintenance Vehicles

This was put on the agenda at the request of Jess Scruggs & Rich Ropicky. As they were not in attendance it will be placed back on the agenda for the next meeting.

6. Linda Burke

Linda had advised the parking office that she could not attend this meeting. Contact will be made prior to the next meeting and see if she still desires to be present.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Tuesday, September 9, 2003@ 2:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Linda Burke
II. Parking For Maintenance Vehicles

New Business

I. Guest Parking in Housing Lots
II. Parking Permit - Ken Bosworth
III. Letter from ISU Early Childhood Partnership School
IV. Items Sent to Donna
V. Date and Time For Future Parking Board Meetings

Parking Board Meeting

Tuesday, September 9, 2003

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Nandita Das, Academic Faculty Member
Todd Scheurman, Applied Tech. Student

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Operations Manager

Old Business

I. Linda Burke was unable to attend so will be included on next meeting agenda.

II. Jess Scruggs did not attend and will be notified for next meeting.

New Business

I. Shari Klippenstein requested that Housing be allowed to request Guest Passes that can then be issued to visitors. The Parking Board has given the Parking Office the authority to take care of this.

II. Ken Bosworth petitioned for special parking consideration on the days he has to be in Idaho Falls. The situation was discussed and it was determine that he either needed to purchase a parking permit, buy a day pass on the days in question or arrive early enough to park on the street next to his work place.

III. The Parking Office will review the situation regarding the request by the ISU Early Childhood Partnership School for special parking permits or stickers for parents dropping children off and report back at the next meeting.

IV. No items were submitted to Donna for consideration.

V. Donna Johnsonton will contact board members and set up a date and time for future meetings.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, October 15, 2003 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Date and time of future Parking Board Meetings. II. Letter from Early Childhood Partnership School.

New Business

I. Elect Chairperson for current year.
II. Linda Burke
III. Violation for a vehicle stopped, standing or blocking a bus turn-out on campus.
IV. Situation in R-08 - Donna

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC Member
Nandita Das, Academic Faculty Member
Ivan Bullock, College of Technology Faculty Member
Barb Cunningham, COPE Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Terrilee Hancock, Public Safety Operations Manager
DeAnna Hopkins, Secretary

Old Business

I. Date and Time of Future Meetings

It was agreed upon by all members present that future meetings will be held on the second Wednesday of each month, with the next meeting scheduled for November 12, 2003.

II. Parking for Parents at the Early Childhood Partnership School

Public Safety will get with them to see if something can be worked out for them to issue parking stickers that will allow them to park for up to 15 minutes in the G-10 or V-01 lots while dropping off or picking up children. Individuals parking for longer period of time will be ticketed. Public Safety will report results at the next meeting.

New Business

I. Elect Chairperson for Current Year

Donna Johnston was elected as chairperson for the year 2003/2004.

II. Linda Burke

She did not attend and was dropped from the agenda.

III. Violation for a Vehicle Stopped, Standing or Blocking a Bus Turn-out on Campus

It was proposed and voted on that all bus turn-outs on campus be signed to indicate that bus turn-outs are an immediate tow zone. Also, vehicles in violation can be cited or towed if necessary. They voted to leave it up to Public Safety to set the fine amount.

IV. Situation in R-08 Regarding Construction Equipment and Loss of Parking Spaces

It was decided to have Public Safety determine how much longer the construction vehicles were going to be taking up spaces and how many actual parking spaces will be lost because of the construction of the bus turn-out lane being added on the corner of that lot.

No other meetings were held for 2003.

Last Modified: 01/30/09 at 02:52:40 PM