Public Safety

 

  • ISU Department of Public Safety
  • Public Safety: 282-2515
  • Parking: 282-2625
  • Bengal Card Services: 282-3618
  • Email Public Safety
Image Placeholder
ISU Public Safety

Parking Board Minutes and Agendas - 2002

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, January 9, 2002@ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Parking Vehicles In Campus Lots With For Sale Signs In Them

II. More Specific Information On Appeals Process

III. Parking At Rendezvous Building

IV. More Handicap Parking

V. ISU Foundation Visitor Passes

VI. Clarification From Parking Board On How To Administer R02 Meters

VII. The Safety Issue Blocking Off Parking Lots For Events

New Business

I. Designated Parking In The G01 Lot For The Barber Shop And Bake Shop

II. Department Request For More Parking Spaces

III. Ticket Violations Where The Prices Were Not Raised Ex: Official Business Spaces

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, January 9, 2002

Members Present at the Meeting

Nandita Das, Academic Faculty Member
Eddy Durfee, College of Technology Faculty Member
Glenn Alford, COPE Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Jane Mangum, Secretary
Ernie Naftzger, Associate Dean of Students

The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m. Minutes from last meeting will need to be approved at the next meeting.

Old Business

Item number 5 from the Agenda, ISU Foundation Visitor Passes, was removed.

I. More Specific Information on Appeals Process

Glenn wants all the Parking Regulations on the internet, including appeals process. He said that all of the regulations are not currently available on the internet. Glenn asked Jane to bring a ticket to the next meeting and show him where the appeals process is at on the tickets. Eddy said the detailed appeals process needs to be on the internet. There was discussion between the members about the need to have the regulations on the internet. This item is tabled until the next meeting.

II. Parking at Rendezvous Building

This issue was tabled until next meeting.

III. More Disabled Parking

Glenn and Eddy explained they feel we are not in compliance with federal laws for the number of disability spaces in all of our lots. Glenn especially feels the R02/R03 lot does not have enough disability parking. Jane gave the members a copy of the disability space survey that was conducted by the ticket writers at the end of November and beginning of December. Jane explained the survey was not a very good one because it was at the end of the semester, going into Dead Week, etc. Jane offered to do a new survey and explained she could have it for the March meeting. Eddy asked where it is in the law that people that possess a state disability permit must buy an ISU disability permit. Jane told him it is in the parking regulations that all vehicles will have an ISU permit. This included disabled parking. Eddy asked that we bring a copy of the regulations to the next meeting and put this issue on the next agenda. This item was tabled until next meeting.

IV. Clarification From Parking Board on How to Administer R02 Meters

This item was tabled until the next meeting.

V. The Safety Issue of Blocking Off Parking Lots for Events

Eddy felt we should give better information to people when a lot is being blocked off for an event. The board members discussed what changes could be made in the current practice of turning students and others away when a lot is blocked off for an event. This item was tabled until the next meeting.

New Business

I. Designated Parking in The G01 Lot for The Barber Shop and Bake Shop

Ernie Naftzger addressed the Parking Board Members about specific parking spaces designated for the customers of the barber shop, bake shop and bookstore. He said he spoke with the barber shop manager and her desire was not to have specific spaces set up for them, due to the need to have someone patrol those spaces at all times, to ensure they would stay available for customers. He said he spoke to Terrilee Hancock about it and she said perhaps better enforcement of the existing metered spaces would help solve the problem.

Steve Chatterton explained that the metered spaces in the G01 lot are for anyone to use and the only ones that we have that say they are not for use by faculty, staff, students or Official Business Passes are the meters on Dillon Street. Steve also explained that we need to look at putting up additional meters in the G01 lot that are not for faculty, staff, students or Official Business Pass use.

Eddy asked how many people are complaining. Ernie explained the businesses are complaining. Eddy says he doesn’t know if the students should lose those parking spaces. Ernie explained that the loss of the public revenue would have to be subsidized and made up from the students. Ernie explained that if the businesses were to pull out, the revenue loss from the rent to these businesses would have to be made up by the students in fee increases. Glenn said he understands the need to provide parking for the public.

Eddy said if there were parking set aside just for these businesses there would have to be a way to validate that the persons using the parking spaces were customers to one of the businesses. Ernie said he would gladly to try and found out as much as he can about public use of the spaces. Steve suggests that the members present be prepared to make a recommendation that can be taken to Darrell Buffaloe and then on to President Bowen. This issue was tabled until the next meeting.

II. Department Request for More Parking Spaces

Donna Johnston requested this item to be put on the Agenda, however, she was unable to attend today’s meeting. This item was tabled until the next meeting.

III. Ticket Violations Where the Prices Were Not Raised Ex: Official Business Spaces

Jane explained that the Parking Office is seeing a lot more Official Business Space, Maintenance Vehicle Space and Service Vehicle Space violations, and when the other violation prices were raised those violations were not raised. Jane explained that the Parking Office is getting a lot more complaints from maintenance and people wanting to use official business spaces because students are parking in these spaces to avoid the higher fines.

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 6, 2002 at 3:00 p.m.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
February 6, 2002, Wednesday, @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Parking Vehicles In Campus Lots With For Sale Signs In Them

II. More Specific Information On Appeals Process

III. Parking At Rendezvous Building

IV. More Disability Parking

V. Clarification From Parking Board On How To Administer R02 Meters

VI. Safety Issue Blocking Off Parking Lots For Events

VII. Designated Parking In The G01 Lot For The Barber Shop And Bake Shop

VIII. Ticket Violations Where The Prices Were Not Raised Ex: Official Business Spaces

New Business

I. Department Request For More Parking Spaces

II. Find Information In Regulations About Having To Purchase An ISU Disability Permit

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, February 6, 2002

Members Present at the Meeting

Lance Stevenson, Chairperson, Academic Student Representative
Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Glenn Alford, COPE Representative

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Jane Mangum, Secretary

The meeting was called to order at 3:30 p.m. Board Members present to approved the minutes from last meeting.

Steve Chatterton suggested to the board members that were present that they make recommendations on the agenda items and have Jane email those recommendations to absent members. This way if the absent members agree with the recommendations those issues could be removed from the agenda and referred to Darrell Buffaloe.

Old Business

I. Parking Vehicles In Campus Lots With For Sale Signs In Them

Steve said he would put some verbiage together for the next meeting for the members to read and make a recommendation on this issue.

II. More Specific Information on Appeals Process

Glenn wants all the Parking Regulations on the internet, including appeals process. He said that all of the regulations are not currently available on the internet. He said he especially wants some more information about the appeals process and official business pass use and rules, put on the internet. He would like to have it added that people appealing a ticket can appear in person when the Appeals Committee meets. Steve said he will have Jane check with Carol to make sure all the regulations are on the internet. There was some discussion between members about the regulations that are currently on the internet. Steve said he will have someone go line by line and compare the hard copy of the regulations to those that are on the internet. Glenn recommended that the chair of each committee be the person that contacts individuals that want to appeal in person to the appeals committee. Glenn will email his suggestions to Jane and she will forward them to all the board members.

III. Parking at Rendezvous Building

There was some discussion about whether or not there will actually be parking at the Rendezvous Building. Steve explained that the engineers, the administration and the physical plant all know we are strongly urging that parking be added. If they choose not to do so then they choose not to. Lance recommended this item be taken off of the agenda and the other board members present agreed.

IV. More Disabled Parking in The Reserve Lots

Glenn asked Steve who is in charge of handicapped parking, the parking Advisory Board or Safety Committee. Steve explained it was a shared responsibility among various entities on campus. If the board is requesting more disabled parking then the correct forum for that is the Accessibility Committee. Steve told Glenn if he had a direct question about disabled parking he would try and answer it, or if Glenn just wanted to know if we comply with the disabled spaces required by the state. Glenn explained he did not feel that having only one disabled space at the administration building was in compliance of state law. He also didn’t feel that one space was adequate for the number of spaces in the R02-03 parking lots. Steve said we are in compliance with ADA in all of our lots. He explained that Glenn may be looking at individual lots, however, we look at parking areas. Steve explained the number of disabled spaces that are in the adjoining lots of R03 and R05 meet the requirement for the number of spaces required. Steve said if you include the disabled spaces on the street we have more than are required by law. Steve also explained that though there is only one designated disabled space in R02 at the administration building, persons with disabled permits can park in any of the reserved spaces in the lot. Steve said if the board feels we need to recommend to the Accessibility Committee to add more disabled spaces in R02 he would be happy to present that to the committee. Steve explained that they would need to develop a justification for the request. Glenn was concerned with whether or not visitors would know they could park somewhere else, if the one space was taken. Steve reminded the board that most people that possess a state disabled permit do know they can occupy other spaces. Donna asked if any person with a handicapped tag that is a visitor could park in any reserve lot on campus. Steve replied yes. Glenn gave a count of R02 and R03 parking spaces and said he doesn’t feel one disabled space is enough. Steve explained that he wants to comply with ADA and he would be happy to check and make sure we do comply. Steve said he works closely with Diane Jenkins. Steve will report back at next meeting about this issue.

V. Clarification From Parking Board on How to Administer R02 Meters

Donna told the members about the 20 minute meters that were put in the R08 lot up at the RFC building. Donna explained that this has helped with the students parking in those metered areas. Steve explained the booth personnel can regulate the metered area in R02. Steve explained that he did not feel 20 minute meters would work in that lot. Steve recommended “Visitor Only” signs for those metered spaces. The signs would help the booth person regulate those spaces. The members present agreed with the signs. This item has been removed from the agenda.

VI. The Safety Issue of Blocking Off Parking Lots for Events

Donna explained that there was a function at Frazier Hall one night and they told a girl that she couldn’t park in there and she had to park off campus. Glenn explained that he felt the issue was raised because of poorly lit areas that students may have to walk through if they could not park in that lot. Steve explained she did not have to park off campus, she chose to park off campus. She could have parked in any other lot on campus. Steve explained the quad is well lit, the lots are well lit and there are emergency phones at various locations on campus. Lance said that maybe the attendant at the lot should have just given more complete information. Donna asked if people having permits for a lot being used for an event would also have to park somewhere else. Steve said the permits are only good until 4:00 pm. Steve said if the board wants to make a recommendation that was fine he would take it to the administration. It is an administrative decision how we handle events. If the lot is not blocked off that parking lot will fill with students and there will be no parking for the patrons. Steve said that the attendants will be told to give better information and explain the parking options, as well as escort options, to people that are turned away. The board members present felt this should be sufficient and recommended this item be removed from the agenda.

VII. Designated Parking in The G01 Lot for The Barber Shop and Bake Shop

Donna asked how many meters are in the G01 lot. Glenn said there are none over there for the barber shop and bake shop. He explained Ernie Naftzger came to the January meeting he said the barber shop and bookstore had raised the question about having designated spots for their patrons. The board members discussed special passes and how parking would be enforced for these businesses. Steve explained that it would be difficult to do anything that would guarantee designated spaces would stay open for the business patrons. Steve said he sympathizes with them but does not know what to do for them. The board members discussed the situation and agreed there is nothing they can do to better the situation at this time. This item has been removed.

VIII. Ticket Violations Where the Prices Were Not Raised Ex: Official Business Spaces

Jane explained that the Parking Office is seeing a lot more Official Business Space, Maintenance Vehicle Space and Service Vehicle Space violations because when the other violation prices were raised those violations were not raised. Jane explained that the Parking Office is getting a lot more complaints from maintenance and people wanting to use official business spaces because students are parking in these spaces to avoid the higher fines. The board discussed and compared the other fine amounts. The members present recommended raising these spaces to $25.

New Business

I. Department Request for More Parking Spaces

Donna Johnston received this request from the Center for New Directions. She said the Center for New Directions felt if Cosmetology could have their own spaces they would like to have designated spaces for their patrons also. The board discussed the situation and agreed there was nothing they could do about this issue. The board felt they should not start to designate parking for all these entities. This item has been removed from the agenda.

II. Information In Regulations About Having To Purchase An ISU Disability Permit

Jane explained that board member Eddie Durfee, who was not present at this meeting, wanted information on why people have to purchase an ISU disabled permit when they have a state disabled permit. Donna said she had some input from Carol Prescott about this issue. Steve explained this issue comes up at least once a year. He said the answer to that question is universities are allowed to make people pay for parking including disabled. He explained that disabled persons can park in any regular parking space as well as the disabled spaces. Steve again explained that the university tries to make sure they are accommodating to the needs of disabled persons. He said most of our lots have more disabled spaces than required by law, depending on their usage. The University determined that they will charge everyone to park on campus. If a disabled person is faculty, staff or a student, then they are covered by university rules which apply to all students, staff or faculty making it fair and equitable. Steve explained the board can make a recommendation about this issue if they want. He explained visitors to campus do not have to have an ISU permit, their state permit is fine. Glenn said he thought we should add something in the regulations that persons requiring a disabled permit must purchase one but at a reduced rate and visitors to campus can park anywhere on campus displaying their state permit. Lance recommended this information be added and the other board members agreed. This item has been removed from the agenda.

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 6, 2002 at 3:00 p.m.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
March 6, 2002, Wednesday, @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Parking Vehicles In Campus Lots With For Sale Signs In Them

II. More Specific Information on Appeals Process

III. More Disability Parking in The Reserve Lots

New Business

I. Raising Tow Limit Amount

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, March 6, 2002

Members Present at the Meeting

Lance Stevenson, Chairperson, Academic Student Representative
Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Glenn Alford, COPE Representative
Scott Stephens, College of Technology Student Representative

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Jane Mangum, Secretary

The meeting was called to order at 3:30 p.m. The minutes from the last meeting were approved. Donna Johnston asked to have a Parking Advisory Board member list faxed to her.

Old Business

I. Parking Vehicles in Campus Lots With for Sale Signs in Them

Steve apologized for not having information on this issue at the meeting. He had copies of the City Ordinance that prohibits parking vehicles on roadways for the sole purpose of selling them. He explained that he wanted to change the wording to include roadways and parking lots on campus. Steve asked Jane to send each member a copy of the city codes. He explained this was basically the verbiage that would be used for campus. This issue was tabled until the next meeting.

II. More Specific Information on Appeals Process

Glenn explained that he emailed his suggestion to Jane, prior to the meeting, and it basically said people appealing tickets had the right to appear in person. Jane forwarded his suggestion to all other members, prior to this meeting. Donna stated she didn’t like the idea of people being present at appeals meetings. She said she felt there were a lot of unanswered questions on this issue like; how long do they get to talk, who contacts them, how many times can they reschedule? Scott asked if appearing in person counted for students as well as faculty/staff. Donna stated it couldn’t be opened up to one and not the other. Donna said she felt there was a real potential for conflict of interest and other problems. Lance said he agreed. He felt that it would consume too much time with the Appeals Committees. Glenn said he thought people had the right to appear in person. Steve said we could include it in the regulations if they want to appear in person, and then we could include the process involved, if need be. Steve will discuss the appeal process with Brad Hall. Glenn volunteered to check other school websites, and see how they handle this issue. This issue was tabled until the next meeting.

III. More Disability Parking in The Reserve Lots

Steve thanked Glenn for bringing up the disabled parking issue. Steve said it was found that the university is deficient in some areas of disabled parking on campus. Steve explained how the spots are differentiated by ADA. Steve said he met with the Accessibilities Committee last week and gave them a copy of our list of spaces in the campus lots. They are in the process of deciding if changes need to be made. Their suggestions will go to the engineers. Any changes needed will be made this summer. This item was removed from the Agenda.

New Business

I. Raising Tow Limit Amount

Lance felt the tow limit needed to be raised due to the raise in ticket prices last year. He felt the $50 tow limit was too low. Steve explained that a person who hits $50 in fines is not automatically towed. After a vehicle reaches the $50 limit, they receive a tow warning if the vehicle is on the tow list, and the ticket writer finds their vehicle. Then the parking office sends out a tow letter to let them know they need to contact the office regarding the fines, and that their vehicle could be towed. If the ticket writer finds the vehicle parking on campus again, and the vehicle is on the tow list, they will call it into dispatch. Dispatch has a Tow Checklist, and the vehicle must meet all criteria on the form before it can be considered for towing. If the vehicle meets all requirements, dispatch takes the form to a supervisor who makes the final decision whether or not to tow the vehicle. Public Safety must go through this entire process before a vehicle can be towed.

Scott asked Steve how many vehicles get towed. Steve told him we tow a couple a week. Jane explained that people are given the chance to contact the Parking Office, both with a tow warning and a tow letter. Lance asked if there was any plan to expand in reserve lot one. He said he felt more meters could be beneficial in that lot. Steve explained there are plans to expand in that lot which would allow for more meters. This issue was removed from the Agenda.

II. Camper and Trailer Storage at Holt Arena

Steve explained that there is a problem with neighborhood people parking their trailers and campers in the free parking area at Holt Arena. Steve said they have asked the people three or four times to move their trailers. Steve said the copy of the City Ordinance mentioned previously also had the information about trailer and camper storage. It also had a couple of exceptions, and these exceptions could be written in for the university. Jane will e-mail the ordinance out to all members. This issue was tabled until the next meeting.

III. Raising Ticket Prices in Maintenance, Service, and Official Business Spaces

Glenn made a motion to raise the ticket prices in these areas to $20. This motion was unanimously passed. Jane will type a letter to Darrell Buffaloe with the board’s recommendation.

IV. Official Business Pass Abuse

Donna Johnston asked to bring up an item that was not on the agenda, and the board members agreed to hear her issue. Donna said she had a lot of people bring parking complaints to her, and most of them were in regards to abuse of official business passes. She said there are two in particular right now that have College of Education passes. One is a student and the other may be an employee. Steve told her that someone should call our office with that information. Donna agreed to call the next time she notices this problem.

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 3:00 p.m.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, April 10, 2002 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Parking Vehicles In Campus Lots With For Sale Signs In Them

II. More Specific Information On The Appeals Process

III. Camper And Trailer Storage At Holt Arena

New Business

I. License Plat Numbers Being Duplicated

II. Three & Eight Hour Parking Meters

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Glenn Alford, COPE Representative
Nandita Das, Academic Faculty Member
Scott Stephens, College of Technology Student Representative

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.

Old Business

I. Parking Vehicles In Campus Lots With For Sale Signs In Them

Steve and the Parking Advisory Board members discussed adopting the information that was emailed out to each board member. Members present agreed to adopt the verbiage from the Idaho code and put the adopted information into the parking regulations. This is the proposed verbiage:

Parking For Certain Purposes Prohibited

No person shall park a vehicle (to include campers, trailers & boats) upon any roadway or parking lot within the campus district for the sole purpose of displaying such vehicle for sale.This item was removed from the agenda.

II. More Specific Information On The Appeals Process

Glenn explained that Sandi Sheets from Brad Hall’s office researched this issue and her opinion was not to change the appeals process at this time. All members present agreed. This item was removed from the agenda.

III. Camper And Trailer Storage At Holt Arena

The board members present agreed to adopt the information from the Idaho Code in issue number one with some changes in the verbiage. This is the proposed verbiage:

Parking Restrictions On Certain Vehicles

Motor Vehicles on which any dimension is greater than the following: eight feet (8') in width, twenty one feet six inches (21'6") in length, nine feet (9') in height shall not be parked on any roadway or parking lot within the campus district for a period longer than one hour, except vehicles engaged in loading or unloading purposes.

This item has been removed from the agenda.

New Business

I. License Plate Numbers Being Duplicated

Steve explained to the members that after a license plate has been abandoned, for a certain period of time, the department of motor vehicles can re-issue that plate. What that does with our system is:

Glenn asked about putting something in the News & Notes about the duplications. Steve said he would get with Linda and see where we are on the fix before we alert everyone. He said he would like to be able to say this is what we have done to correct the problem. The board members agreed to have the parking office work with the computer center and report back.

II. Three Hour And Eight Hour Meters

Donna Johnston had someone at the CEC meeting tell her there are three hour meters at Frazier Hall. Donna said she felt meters should be for visitors. Steve explained that several years ago the issue was brought to the Parking Board that the students wanted some meters there so that they could drop off papers. There are only eight meters there. Some of them were designated for visitors. The visitor meters are two hour meters and the others are thirty minute meters. Steve explained that the eight hour meters are over by the ELC. These meters are not generally used by students except for a couple of hours at a time. It is costly to park at these meters for eight hours a day. Steve said he will have Terrilee gather information on the meters on campus for the next meeting.

III. Non Faculty/Staff/Student Appeal

The parking board reviewed a non faculty/staff/student appeal. They decided to give the patron half off the original price of the ticket.

Next meeting scheduled for Wednesday May 9, 2002.

Meeting for May 9, 2002 was cancelled.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, October 2, 2002 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Three Hour And Eight Hour Meters

New Business

I. Reserve Lot 10

II. New Knowledge Adventures Parking

III. Letters From Students

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, October 2, 2002

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Barb Cunningham, COPE Representative
Casey Eglinton, Applied Technology Faculty Member
Rachel Aughney, Academic Student

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety

Donna Johnston was elected as the chair person. Minutes from the previous meeting were accepted as written.

Old Business

I. Three & Eight Hour Meters

The concern is 3 hour and 8 hour meters. Why do we have 8 hour meters? Visitor don’t have a place to park if the 8 hour meters are taken up by students. Steve explained that 8 hour meters were put in at the student union at their request for conferences that are held in that building. No action taken.

New Business

I. Reserve Lot-10

Steve explained that when R-10 was first made a Reserve lot not a lot of people were buying reserve permits, so the lot was quite empty. There was pressure to open it up for other people to park in there. Therefore, reserve parking signs were put in front of all spaces that were reserved. The rest was designated General. That has now become a real problem with conflict between general parking and reserve. At this time there are more people who are willing to pay the reserve lot price and a lot more people are working in that building. It would eliminate a lot of conflict we are having with people driving in there and then parking in a reserve lot space if we eliminate the general lot spaces all together. A motion was made to change it to an all Reserve Lot without any general spots at all. Voted on and approved.

II. New Knowledge Adventures Parking

Senior citizens, usually on a fixed income, who don’t go to classes very often, are looking for some kind of reduced rate parking. A total of about 115 members, with about 30 attending any one class. They wanted to try to park in the free parking but have to park so far away and try to get to the bus, that it is hard for some of them to negotiate that distance. Even the $10.00 for a reduced parking pass to park in the Reduced Area is a significant amount to them. Options discussed were having them stop by the parking office or information booth for a guest pass; parking in the reduced and riding the bus: just giving them a temporary hang tag . Donna suggested having someone from NKA program come talk to the parking board.

A motion was made to give them a pass for the reduced area or general lot and leave it up to the discretion of Public Safety as to what is actually issued for them, a hang tag or make up guest passes. This was voted on and approved.

III. Letters From Students

A. A suggestion for students that don’t buy parking passes written by Clancy Erickson. Free, reduced and general parking areas around Holt Arena were discussed. Steve advised that at one time all the area around Holt Arena was general and that past parking boards have reviewed this and came back with the free, reduced and general lots as they are now. The board noted that options are available and different areas are signed. Steve advised that the free lot is usually only three quarters full. A suggestion was made that maybe something could be done to get the information out that free and reduced parking is available. It was decided to just respond to the letter and for the parking office to come up with some suggestions on how to get the information more widely distributed about the free and reduced parking available and have this available for the next meeting of the parking board.

B. E-mail letter from Ralph Woolsey. A copy of his ticket information revealed that the citations in question were for, no parking zone, a meter violation and improper permit display. Only the $4.00 citation was paid with the remainder either warned or voided. A decision was made to respond in writing with an explanation of why the citations were issued.

IV. Additional Business Not on the Agenda

In response to an e-mail received by Donna Johnston from Grounds employees, Steve explained that the area where employees who work at the Physical Plant were originally parking along Dunn Street, which was a city street. ISU now leases that area from the City to park about 30 trucks and vans that were taking up general parking spots to free up these general parking places for students. Their concern was that now they have to park in a lot and walk to their place of work. Steve explained they usually all arrive about the same time and can walk together or request an officer escort on dark mornings. They are requesting to be allowed to park in an area closer to their building. Steve explained that the area in question has been cleared to park heavy equipment in. A decision was made to e-mail Judy Hadley and invite her to discuss this at the next board meeting, which is scheduled for November 6, 2002.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, November 6, 2002 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Changes to R-10 Lot

II. Parking for “New Knowledge Adventures”

III. Lettters from Students

New Business

I. Parking for Grounds Employees

II. Early Learning Center Temporary Parking for Parents

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, November 6, 2002

Members Present at the Meeting

Donna Johnston, CEC Representative
Barb Cunningham, COPE Representative
Casey Eglinton, Applied Technology Faculty Member
Nandita Das, Academic Faculty Member
Dev Sasser, Applied Tech. Student
Rachel Aughney, Academic Student

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Judy Hadley & other grounds employees

The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.

Old Business

I. Changes to R-10 Lot

The recommendation of the Parking Advisory Board was forwarded to Darrell Buffaloe, Director, Physical Plant and approved.

II. Parking for “New Knowledge Adventures”

Temporary, hang tags were issued for all participants.

III. Letters from Students

A response was sent, copies in file.

New Business

I. Parking for Grounds Employees

Judy Hadley and a group of Grounds employees presented a proposal to allow them to park closer to the maintenance building. Their concerns are personal safety because of the early hours they are required to work and the distance they have to walk, most of them now park on 5th Street. There are eight permanent employees. Steve explained that additional lighting is already planned for the area that they would have to walk. There is also a concern regarding the big equipment that is moved around in that area, and the possibility of injury to employees and vehicles parked there. The personal safety issue is one that needs to be addressed by the Safety Committee in conjunction with the future plans that the Physical Plant has for that area. Grounds employees work for the Physical Plant and the entire area is a Physical Plant area. It was also explained that there is a general lot by the Physical Plant that they could purchase a permit to park in and be closer to work than on 5th street. There are other employees on campus that have to park and walk some distance to where they work, whether they choose to purchase a permit and park in a lot or not. Any plan needs to meet existing state and recommended business standards for width of roadways and distances from equipment. It was determine that the issues would be taken to the physical plant management and safety officer. The issue for the Parking Board on this matter is what to charge for the parking permit, if the Physical Plant approves a parking lot. A motion was made to meet on an emergency basis if necessary after the matter was presented to the Physical Plant. Steve agreed to take the matter to the Physical Plant and report as soon as possible to board members by e-mail.

II. Parking for Parents at ELC

Material for this presentation was to be dropped off at the parking office and was not received. Parking regarding the ELC buses was explained by Steve. They are parked where the ELC requested that they be parked. The parking of the buses is not a Parking Board issue, it is an ELC-Dean of Students office issue. There are still spaces designated as child drop-off/pick-up spaces. No action taken.

III. Additional Business Not on the Agenda

A. The procedure for blocking off reserve parking for the different organizations with events at the SUB was discussed. It was explained that an official request must be made, usually by the reservations people, stating that they want a designated number of parking spaces reserved for this activity. The parking office charges for reserved parking spaces and depending on the number of anticipated spaces needed, does not ticket a given lot.

B. Steve explained that an issue involving parking would be on the Presidents agenda at the annual general staff meeting coming up. The question is: Can the University designate parking spaces for faculty and not charge them? It was explained that parking does not make money from operating parking lots. Existing parking lots cannot be maintained with the amount of money received from the sale of parking permits, additional money has to come from other sources. No action taken.

Addendum to Parking Board Minutes

November 18, 2002

Re: Parking for Grounds Employees

Representatives from the Physical Plant & Grounds met and determined that parking would be allowed along the fence, between the grounds building and the cemetery. This would be designated as reserved parking. This information was e-mailed to members of the Parking Board and an e-mail response was received approving the proposal, with five members of the Board responding. A memorandum will be prepared and forwarded to Darrell Buffaloe for approval.

Last Modified: 01/30/09 at 02:55:58 PM