Public Safety

 

  • ISU Department of Public Safety
  • Public Safety: 282-2515
  • Parking: 282-2625
  • Bengal Card Services: 282-3618
  • Email Public Safety
Image Placeholder
ISU Public
          Safety

Parking Board Agendas & Minutes - 1999

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, January 13, 1999 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Parking In North Loop At Holt Arena - Waiting for approval

II. New Speed Limit on Bartz Way - Waiting for approval

III. Making R02 Meters Visitors Only - Waiting for approval

IV. Traffic on Carter & Memorial - Waiting for approval

V. Regulating Bikes On Campus

VI. Ticketing For Disabled Parking

VII. Parking for ISU Credit Union's Repossessed Cars

VIII Parking Spaces For Service Vehicles

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, January 13, 1999

Members Present at the Meeting

Deb Pein, Chairperson & Applied Tech Faculty Member
Nora Gotfredson, COPE Member
Jeff Evans, CEC Member
Lin Sherman, Academic Faculty Member
Missy McElprang, Academic Student Member
Erwin Swetnam, Academic Student Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Parking/Security Supervisor
Carol Prescott, Public Safety (taking minutes)
James Woody, Student Visitor

The meeting was called to order at 3:10 p.m. In the Minutes, we changed Old Business #4 to read Traffic On Carter & Memorial, instead of MLK & Memorial. Minutes were then approved.

Steve Chatterton introduced James Woody to the Board, and asked that they let him speak first, before we went on to other business. Mr. Woody is a student. He resides in the Ridge Crest Housing at the top of Bartz Field. He came to the board meeting to express his concerns regarding the yield sign at the bottom of Bartz Way where it comes off of the southeast side. It comes down and around, and joins up at the base of Bartz Way (into R6/G10 lots). He stated he has had several close run-ins with people that come down off Bartz Way and run the yield sign. Mr. Woody stated he had his 7th run-in last night. He has a two year old son & his wife is 5 months pregnant. Last night he narrowly missed a Toyota pick-up that ran the yield sign, and he stated you couldnít have put a sandwich in between them. Mr. Woody hit the breaks going up the hill. If he hadnít hit the breaks he would have hit them right in the driverís door. His family was in the car with him. He is asking that we put a stop sign in this spot, in place of the yield sign. He also asked that they put out fliers announcing the change, and have Public Safety patrol this area until people get used to the stop sign.

Mr. Woody doesnít feel the speed needs to be changed (it is currently at 25 mph). He feels if people are aware of the stop sign they will start to slow down, then theyíll stop, look both ways and proceed on from there. He felt it would change things, and make it safer. He stated itís usually when heís going up, and the other people coming down ignore the yield sign.

It was noted by all that the traffic will be increasing in that area, due to the LDS Stake and in the future, the Performing Arts Center.

The Board recommended we put a stop at the bottom of Bartz Way, to replace the yield sign.

Old Business

I-IV. All these items are waiting from approval from either the President, Presidentís Council or the City

Public Safety will make sure info on R02 meters being changed to visitors, the speed limit on Bartz Way and the stop sign at Bartz Way gets put in the News & Notes, and the Bengal Newspaper.

V. Regulating Bikes On Campus

Deb Pein stated she had some people interested in serving on a Committee. Missy wondered if it should be a Sub-Committee of the Safety Committee. Steve stated that the Safety Committee has passed this issue on to the Parking Advisory Board, as they felt it was a traffic issue. So itís up to the Parking Board to set up a separate or Sub-Committee. Steve stated since the last meeting, he took a grant to the President for his signature for bicycle paths up on the 90 acres of ground we have by Alvin Ricken Road. They will be submitting the grant proposal to the State Parks & Recreation asking for $25,000.00 to improve bicycle paths in that area. This will be more of a recreational benefit, however.

Steve also stated they will be receiving a grant application for bicycle paths in urban areas, which we will write a grant for ISU, in conjunction with Bannock Planning Organization.

At this time the sentiment is that we do not keep bikes completely off campus. The proposal is to remove the parking on MLK (starting at 8th St. going up on right hand side to Terry St). Weíd make 4 lanes. The 2 outside lanes would be designated as bus & bike lanes only, and the 2 inner lanes would be motorized vehicles only. Then once they come down across 8th St., a bike path will be made out of pavers. It will run on the other side of the lights, from the sidewalk, cut across, then it would fork. Part of it would run to the SUB, and the other would come around the other three sides of the quad. This way they are away from pedestrians, and the sidwalks, and they have their own path. There are bike racks at most of the buildings. The students helped purchase some new bike racks, and we are still in the process of getting those put up. This would be our grant proposal. Whether MLK is vacated of vehicles or not, will not impact what we write our grant for.

Some people were asking what the impact would be to remove parking along MLK. Steve stated he spoke to Ron Peterson, and parking for East Hall residents is a problem right now anyway. This summer we received $50,000.00 from Public Works to modify, resurface and change Redhill Road a little bit, so we hope to expand the parking up there, so the Residents of East Hall will use the new parking area, and we will also create some disabled spaces for residents of East Hall.

Deb Pein wanted to know where the input came from. Steve said he had asked for input from different people. The Planning Committee, the Safety Committee, and heís called several people and asked them. None of really committed to helping. They either want bicycle paths, or they want the bikes off campus. Those were the only two choices he got. Steve and Scott Campbell came up with the idea to create bicycle paths around the core of the campus that are separate from pedestrians. They will look nice, the pavers look nice. They can easily be taken up if we decide not to allow bikes on the core of campus. Easy to widen or narrow, you can use different colors, different schemes, so there wouldnít be a straight white cement sidewalk going down the middle of the quad. Scott is designing some angles to the pathways, but the will still be convenient. Steve said they had to have something fairly soon, if they were going to do the grant proposal. Theyíve presented to the Safety Committee because it was an agenda item on their agenda, and has been for quite some time. They felt this was a good proposal, but asked him to bring it to the Parking Board to get some feedback.

Steve stated 2 things have to occur fairly quickly; asking the city to take parking off of the street. He would like to accomplish that before next fall, so people would have the summer to get adjusted to it. He said the main people that park on that street are faculty and staff, Applied Tech and Dental. That will be the biggest impact. So he needs to take to the Presidentís staff and get their approval, and then to the city. That will take some time. He has to have the grant proposal to Bannock Planning by the end of February, then they have to submit for approval by the end of March.

Steve mainly wanted to get the Boardís thoughts on the bike path idea. The curves will be minimal. It will not be an eyesore. It will still allow them access to the buildings around the quad. It is not possible to run the bike path on the outside of the buildings. It would cost more to make the path through that area, because the sidewalks would have to be moved out. People would be more likely to use it if it went through the quad area. Steve said he would try to get some drawings from Scott, so we could finalize this at the next meeting.

The Bicycle Safety Week will be sometime in the spring. If anyone is interested in helping, they are welcome. As far as a committee for Bicycle Safety? Or Sub-committee for the regulation of bicycles on campus. Missy felt it should be a committee (not a sub-committee), because the bicycle population is increasing, and something more permanent should be set up. Deb Pein says she has had bicyclists as well as joggers/pedestrains interested in the bicycle safety committee idea.

VI. Ticketing for Disabled Parking - This issue was referred to Bob Campbell

VII. ISU Credit Union Repossessed Cars - They agreed to buy 2 permits

VIII. Parking Spaces Designated for ISU Service & Maintenance Vehicles

Rich Ropicky has not given us a list of the spaces. We should have that information from him for the next meeting.

Meeting was adjourned.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, February 3, 1999 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Maintenance/Service Vehicle Parking Spaces

II. Visitor Parking in North & South Loops at Holt Arena

III. Speed Limit on Bartz Way

IV. Making R02 Meters Visitor Meters Only

V. Regulating Bikes On Campus

New Business

There was no new business at the time this Agenda was completed.

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, February 3, 1999

Members Present at the Meeting

Deb Pein, Chair & Applied Tech Faculty Member
Nora Gotfredson, COPE Member
Jeff Evans, CEC Member
Lin Sherman, Academic Faculty Member
Nate Sierra, Academic Student Member
Missy McElprang, Academic Student Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Parking/Security Supervisor
Carol Prescott, Public Safety (taking minutes)
Doug Milder, Visitor
Rich Ropicky, Visitor

The meeting was called to order at 3:10 p.m. Minutes approved.

Old Business

I. Maintenance/Service Vehicle Parking Spaces

Rich Ropicky reiterated points he brought up in the last meeting regarding parking for his people at various locations on campus. He would like to have spaces designated for maintenance/service vehicles only in various lots on campus. His biggest problem was at Reed Gym.

Doug Milder stated many faculty/staff members abused the Official Business Spaces, by using them to come to the gym and work out, or even go to classes or work. He stated many of the coaches think itís personal coaching parking, all day long. Secretaries who have J Lot passes or general parking passes, will use these spaces and go to work. There are constantly people working on our building. Itís a very old building, so maintenance people, carpenters, etc. come in to work on the building. If they canít find parking they pull up on the patio on the west side. The oil drips from the trucks, and makes it look bad. Mr. Milder has walked out to the maintenance people and told them they canít park there, because it just doesnít look good. He would like to see the Official Business spaces there completely taken out.

Steve Chatterton suggested we not take away any of the Official Business Spaces, but create additional maintenance vehicle only spaces. The attached map shows the lots and number of spaces Mr. Ropicky wants designated service/maintenance vehicles only.

Lin Sherman made the motion to recommend that maintenance and service vehicle parking be created at the designated spots, per the recommendation of maintenance, and that at Reed Gym, in addition to the 2 maintenance/service spaces, an additional space for loading, be established, and the number of Official Business spaces be reduced to 1. Nora Gotfredson 2nded the motion. Motion passed. Steve will work out the details with Rich Ropicky, and with respect to Reed Gym, Doug Milder also.

II Visitor Parking in North & South Loops

This was approved. Steve stated letters have been sent to both Howard Gauthier & John Novosel asking them when they want us to start enforcing this. We have had no response, as of this meeting.

III Making R2 Meters Visitor Meters Only

Deb Pein was concerned this would take away from Official Business Spaces. Steve stated this would not impact the Official Business Spaces. Steve stated we are reviewing the parking in C1V, where Family Medicine patients parked (Family Medicine has moved). This lot is still used by Student Health Center, Counseling & Testing. We will be doing a usage survey, to see what we need to do with that. C1V will not be completely eliminated.

Steve stated what we want to do is where there are already meters, we want to put signs up stating they are for visitors only, and faculty, staff and students will not be allowed to park there. We are having problems with visitors to the Admin. Bldg. who canít park at the meters, because faculty, staff and students are plugging the meters, and going to class or work.

Regarding issue II - Speed Limit on Bartz Way. The stop sign portion of this was left off the agenda. Darrell approved putting up the stop sign also.

IV Regulating Bicycles On Campus

Deb Pein stated she had a couple of faculty members from Applied Tech. Paul Naas, ext. 4527, Pat McQueary ext. 3092. Nora had a COPE member who was interested, Teena Rhoads. These people would be interested in being on the committee for bicycle safety.

Steve just wanted a consensus from the Board to remove parking on MLK for bicycle & bus traffic on campus, and that the idea of bicycle lanes down MLK and the bicycle paths on the quad, were good ideas. The Board approved removing parking on MLK, and placing bicycle/bus lanes on MLK and the bicycle paths on the quad. Steve will keep the Board updated on the progress in this matter. All members need to bring names of people to be on a bicycle committee to the next meeting.

New Business

I. Restructuring R8 & Adding A Bus Lane

Steve Chatterton distributed three different maps. One showing 83 parking spaces in that section of R8. The others showed the lot with 100 spaces, one with a bus lane, one without. Steve said he reviewed the designs for upgrading lighting. R8 is a lot they will be upgrading the lighting in this summer. He asked Scott Campbell to look at the parking scheme we had there, and see if we could re-arrange that and get more parking spaces, before we put the light poles back. The old light poles that are there now, and the bases, have to be taken out. The base will not accept the new lights, they have to tear the whole thing out. The spaces will go from angle parking to parallel parking. It will be tighter, but we gain 17 parking spaces, 13 with the bus lane. It will be about $20,000.00 to do this. Some Board members wanted to know if we would take out all the meters in that lot. Steve explained those meters were put in at the request of the Dean of Applied Tech. They can come out the same way they were put in. The ones along Memorial will go away, but the ones in front of the building will remain. If they want the ones in Memorial put back, we can put them back someplace else in the lot.

Missy wanted to know if 17 spaces was worth $20,000.00. Steve explained the island ends at each parking lot have really deteriorated. They cement that separates them has deteriorated, and heís put off pulling that out, because of the cost, but it really looks tacky. The lighting is coming out of a different pocket. However, at some point in time weíre going to have to fix the cement, and the asphalt islands at the end that are all crumbled up. This just provides the opportunity to get rid of those islands, change it around. Now is the time to do it, because if we donít do it now, and we decide to do it later, then we have to move the light poles twice, and it will cost a lot more.

Missy asked in using the same concept, is it possible to do the same thing in G01 Lot, by the SUB. If you took out the sidewalks, and made the spaces straight, instead of crooked, would that add parking there? Steve said yes. Steve will have Scott look at what that would do. The reason he hasnít really gone after that is the city doesnít like our cars coming out of the lot on to the street, and they want us to stop doing that. They want the circle to be internal in our parking lots. If we do that weíll lose about 20 parking spaces in that lot. Youíd come in on Dillon and circle all the way around, and not be able to get out again until Dillon Street. Steve felt if we started modifying that lot, they would come in and say this is the time to make that internal. However, Steve will have Scott do up a design and see what the number of spaces can be created, etc.

With the second map, that contains the bus lane, you lose 4 spaces, so you get a net total of 13 new spaces. Lin Sherman said when we made the changes in R1 lot, it made a great difference. Steve stated in the long run, if you spend $20,000.00 and you gain 13 parking spaces, 5 to 10 years from now we canít afford to gain those 13 parking spaces. And in over a 20 year period of time the Parking Office will gain the $20,000.00 back in revenues. The University will continue to grow, with more students and faculty at Applied Tech, so 13 parking spaces is quite a few parking spaces, and it will make a difference. This also a lot where student are able to get permits.

Nate Sierra liked the proposal with the bus lane. He uses the bus, and it used to take only 7 minutes to get from the SUB to Health Professions, now it takes 10-11 minutes. If we can get this little bus lane in there, he felt it would cut back on the extra time we lost before. Steve stated we were getting such good use out of the bus transportation, our bus rider ship is up to over 2,000 a year. Steve stated that what is happening is we are backing up traffic on Memorial, and making it not only dangerous, but a serious irritant to the motorists there. Weíve already designated money this year to make a bus turnout on Memorial Drive at Gail Life Science, and we will build that so the bus pulls right out of the traffic lane, loads its people and then comes back into traffic. Steve has asked BRMC to entertain the possibility of allowing us to build a bus turnout on their side of the street, and if they give us approval we will do that. The same thing occurs at the corner of Memorial & MLK. If weíre able to pull the bus right out of the traffic lane, get them in there to load and unload students, and then if that outside lane on MLK is busses only, then the traffic thatís making the turn, will go to the middle lane, and the bus can just pull right out into itís lane and go straight on down. However, instead of 17 spaces, youíll only gain 13 spaces. This would be a total proposal to the President suggesting that we take parking off the inside lanes.

Nora made the motion to recommend expanding R8 Lot to include the bus lane. Lin 2nded the motion. Motion passed.

Meeting was adjourned.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, March 3, 1999 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Making R02 Meters Visitor Meters Only

II. Regulating Bikes On Campus

III. Maintenance/Service Vehicle Parking Spaces

IV. Restructuring R8 & Adding A Bus Lane

New Business

I. Bicycle Safety Week

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, March 3, 1999

Members Present at the Meeting

Deb Pein, Chairperson & Applied Tech Faculty Member Nora Gotfredson, COPE Member Jeff Evans, CEC Member Nathan Sierra, Student Member Missy McElprang, ASISU Vice-President & Student Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety Terrilee Hancock, Parking/Security Supervisor Carol Prescott, Public Safety (taking minutes)

The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m. Minutes were approved.

Old Business

I. Making R2 Meters Visitor Only - still waiting for approval.

II. Regulating Bikes on Campus

Grant is being finalized, but will not be implemented until the year 2001. Steve will be taking some money out of the safety budget to make a partial bike path on MLK to 8th, and there will be a partial path built. Bus lane will be done this summer. Once all the names for the Bicycle Safety Committee are received Carol Prescott will arrange for the first meeting to be set up.

III. Parking spaces designated for ISU Maintenance/Service Vehicles

Has been approved, sign ordered, signs just need to be put up.

IV. Restructuring R8 & Adding A Bus Lane

This is moving ahead. We will retain T&T meters. They will take the meters out along Memorial, but all others in R9 lot will remain. Deb Pein & Nora Gotfredson are going to see about having all meters removed, except the T&T meters, which are not even designated as visitor meters, but they would like to keep.

New Business

I Bicycle Safety Week

Missy just wanted to let the Board know that she has set up Bicycle Safety Week for April 12 through 16. She feels that by then it will be warmer then, and more people will be out riding their bikes. She has reserved a table at the SUB for that week. She has had problems getting a hold of the Public Safety officer who is supposed to help. Terrilee stated she would just assign this to Wayne Ellis & Josh Gillmore. It was suggested that Missy use some of the Bicycle Safety Committee members to help out that week, also.

II Motor Pool Vehicles Checked Out To Departments - Taking Up Permit Parking Areas

Nathan Sierra stated he was concerned about a couple of cars in G06 lot that were always parked there. They were ISU vehicles, plate numbers T84 & T85. They never seem to move. They were parked there last semester & are still there this semester. Heís had many students ask him about this situation, as they are taking up general parking spaces. Terrilee Hancock said she would have it checked out. She stated ISU vehicles that are checked out to certain departments, they park them wherever, but they usually have official business spaces. Because they are University cars they really donít have a time limit, but if itís a car thatís not being used, and is creating a parking problem, we call the department and try to work with them, but if they arenít using them, we will try to get them moved.

III PRT Bus Problem on 8th Street

The CEC asked Jeff Evans to see what could be done about a problem they are seeing with the PRT busses. Apparently they are getting held up and causing problems in the lot. People are having to wait until they all leave in order to pull in or out of the lot, and they are causing back ups. Jeff was wondering if we could take the island out, or if we could make the bus stop on the other side, or any other place they could do that, and exit out on to the road in a better spot. Terrilee said she had thought this had been looked at by Scott Campbell, when they did that. The reason it was done in the first place was to get the busses off the street, as they were causing a hazard when stopping on 8th St. Jeff felt the problem now was when they tried to get back on the road, and were getting backed up in the lot. It was also thought that there had been some discussion of putting a light there. This issue will be addressed to Steve, to see if he can look into it.

Missy had a question she wanted us to ask Steve about. It was regarding changing G01 lot, in much the same manner as R08 lot is being changed. She just didnít want that to be forgotten about. She was curious to see what he had found out. Carol Prescott said she would ask Steve to call Missy.

Meeting was adjourned.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, April 17, 1999 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Making R02 Meters Visitor Meters Only

II. Regulating Bikes on Campus

III. Restructuring R08 Lot & Adding a Bus Lane

IV. Bicycle Safety Week

V. Motor Pool Vehicles Checked Out to Depts. - Taking Up Permit Parking Spaces

VI. PRT Bus Problem on 8th Street

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, April 7, 1999

Members Present at the Meeting

Deb Pein, Chairman & Applied Tech Faculty Member Lin Sherman, Academic Faculty Member Jeff Evans, CEC Member Nate Sierra, Academic Student Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety Carol Prescott, Public Safety (taking minutes)

The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.

Old Business

I. Making R2 Meters Visitor Only - Still waiting for approval.

II. Regulating Bikes On Campus

Steve stated they had submitted the grants for the bicycle paths. The Bicycle Safety Committee met and liked the idea of closing off MLK to parking and making bus/bicycle lanes on MLK, and they liked the idea of the paths on the quad. The Bicycle Safety Committee members also felt we should have some regulations governing bicycles on campus. Theyíve suggested registration of bikes, enforcement and education programs to regulate bicycle usage on campus. Meaning speeding tickets, and stop sign violations, those kinds of things. Steven is going to send each of them a copy of our Human Powered Vehicle Policy. So there are regulations that we have right now that govern a lot of the things they are talking about, driving too fast, failure to yield to pedestrians, and all those kinds of things. So the Bicycle Safety Committee will meet again in the future.

Steve thought that at some point, the Parking Board might want to address some of those issues, such as registering bikes, or whether we want the Parking Board to establish a fine schedule for bicycle violations. Lin Sherman felt because of security reasons, the registration of vehicles and having them place stickers on them sounds like a good idea. Steve stated that for the most part we have very few bicycles that are registered on campus, and if they get stolen, none of them have serial numbers. If they register them with us we record the serial number. But they wonít register them voluntarily. We need to sell them on the idea that it would be to their benefit to register them.

Steve said what he wants to do this summer is if he can squeeze enough money from different budgets, he will go ahead and build the path from 8th Avenue around to the Student Union (past Admin & Graveley to the bike racks by SUB). When we get the grant money, the rest of the path will be completed.

II Restructuring R8 Lot

Steve stated they were still moving ahead with it. Deb Pein stated that Nora Gotfredson spoke with Deb Thompson & Ranaye Marsh about the possibility of removing those meters. Steve stated we would do whatever they want. Deb said Steve might want to talk to Nora little bit more about the details, but they were in agreement with removing those meters, but retaining the two(2) in front of the Trade & Tech Building. With the re-structuring, the meters along Memorial will be coming out anyway. The ones they want taken out are the ones along the front of the RFC Bldg. The meters were originally put in for visitors to RFC, but students, faculty & staff members are using them, and visitors cannot find parking. She said the suggestion was made to make them Official Business spaces (something along the lines of Cosmetology parking).

Deb said the other issue Nora discussed with Deb Thompson and Ranaye Marsh the exit leaving R8 lot onto Memorial Drive, the possibility of widening that. We had discussed this previously. The problem is when you try to go out onto Memorial, and you are trying to make a left turn, it is very hard to get out, because of the traffic. It is also very hard to make the right turn from Memorial into this lot, especially when there are vehicles backed up trying to get out (because itís not very wide). Deb Pein suggested meeting with Deb Thompson and Ranaye Marsh to get a better idea of what they want done.

Lin Sherman suggested since we were removing the meters along Memorial, maybe we could move the entrance down a little bit. Steve said he would have Scott Campbell take a look at it.

IV Bicycle Safety Week

Carol Prescott said Missy wanted them to know that for Bicycle Safety Week Josh Gillmore and Wayne Ellis would have a video for that week. She will also put an article in the Bengal regarding Bicycle Safety Week, and there will be various games going on all week regarding Bicycle Safety Week.

V Motor Pool Vehicles Taking Up Permit Parking Spaces

The vehicles in question were from Geology. Terrilee spoke with the Geology Department and they will probably not move them at this time, but since they will be moving up to Turner, they will move them then. Deb Pein suggested since they didnít use them on an ongoing basis, maybe they should be stored down at Motor Pool.

VI PRT Problem on 8th St.

Jeff Evans said some CEC members wondered if there was anything in the works for this, they didnít really have any solutions, such as a stop light or something. Steve said what they did was a solution for a previous problem. The problem now is cars parked at the meters where the busses come in canít get out. That is also the loading/unloading zone for books, etc. Then the busses get backed up because of traffic when they canít get back out on the road. Lin Sherman suggested we take all the parking out and make it a bus loop only. Steve stated we looked at it a couple of times. We changed it to the way it is now, because we thought it was the best alternative to the way it was before. He stated it used to be one way through there, but we changed it to 2-way, so you can turn around and go back out, and we are going to try and widen the roadway up here a little, so itís a little safer. That way the people who are down there, instead of going out one way, they can turn around and come back out this way. But as long as we allow traffic to enter or exit here to the back of the Administration Bldg, and as long as we allow parking right here, it will always be a problem. There is no way to correct it.

Someone suggested taking parking out so cars could get around the busses. However, Steve felt that cars might go charging around the busses, and get hit. He felt making cars wait behind the busses was safer. Lin Sherman suggested taking some of the metered parking out, and cut it in a little bit more, maybe you could run a bus lane in there. Then the cars could come around, and the bus would just merge back in. Steve said thatís what we used to do, but it created so many problems, that we moved it out on the street. Steve stated he dealt with all those issues.

Nate suggested maybe blocking off certain meter spaces during business hours, and cuts down on the congestion. Lin suggested take them out. But you still have to block them. Maybe make the island bigger? Steve said that was a solution. Steve said they talked about that but the Student Union does not want to lose anymore parking, or loading/unloading.

Lin Sherman wanted to know what the long range plans were. He heard they may either expand the SUB or build a new one. He felt that would determine the parking there. Steve said they were doing expansion work, but no plans for a new SUB. Steve stated the long term goal is to close 8th St. to through traffic, and route them a different way. Deb Pein said she guessed he could take their concerns and see what he could do with them.

New Business

I Need Official Business Spaces in U2 Lot (between Fine Arts & Pharmacy)

Deb Pein stated since we agreed to put in 2 maintenance spaces in U2, and took out Official Business spaces, there were no OFB spaces in that lot at all. Deb wanted to know if we could put in an Official Business Space. Steve said he would have this corrected.

II Parking At The Diesel Shop

Deb Pein stated she teaches down at the Diesel Shop. Right next to the Diesel Shop is a lot that is unpaved, and thereís a bunch of ruts, and potholes. Apparently Beverly----- owns the lot, ISU does not, but the ISU students park in there. She has tried to park down there, but there are just so many ruts. Deb Pein was wondering that if sheís nice enough to let ISU use that lot, if thereís any way that lot could be maintained, or graded. Steve said he would get with Darrell Buffaloe and discuss it.

Meeting was adjourned.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, May 5, 1999 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. Making R02 Meters Visitor Only Meters

II. Regulating Bikes On Campus

III. Restructuring R08 Lot & Adding A Bus Lane

IV. Bicycle Safety Week

New Business

I. Parking For Physical Science Personnel Temporarily Located at Garrison Hall

II. Changing Citations On Moving Violations

III. Senior Health Clinic Visitor Parking

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, May 5, 1999

Members Present at the Meeting

Deb Pein, Applied Tech Faculty Member & Chairperson
Lin Sherman, Academic Faculty Member (Last Meeting)
Nora Gotfredson, COPE Member
Jeff Evans, CEC Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Linda Tobias, Representing Steve Chatterton
Carol Prescott, Public Safety (taking minutes)

The meeting was called to order at 3:10 p.m. Minutes from last meeting were approved.

Old Business

I. R2 Visitor Meters - Still waiting for approval.

II. Regulating Bikes On Campus - Going forward with paths, etc.

III. Restructuring R8 Lot & Adding A Bus Lane

Nora Gotfredson had some more concerns she wanted to discuss with Steve. She will get a hold of him.

IV. Bicycle Safety Week

This was Missy McElprangs thing. She was not at meeting today, so we had no input on this. As far as we know, there was a Bicycle Safety Week.

New Business

I Seniors Health Clinic Visitors Only Parking in R9

Bobbie Branch from the Nursing Department stated they started their Senior Health Clinic last fall, in the Beckley Nursing Bldg. They need some parking for the patients. All the patients they see are elderly patients, some are not disabled, and do not want to take up disabled space. However, they need something close to the Bldg. Their only choices at this time are Holt Arena, and thatís a bit of a distance for some of them to walk. Even the visitor meters in R9 are taken up by students, faculty and staff, leaving no parking for visitors. She would like to get some spaces lined up with the handicap spaces. South of the Bldg. there are about 12 parking spaces, 6 of which are handicap. They would like the other 6 made for the Seniors Health Clinic. Her proposal is to take some spaces from the meters, and make those reserve, then take the 6 reserve spaces next to the handicap, and make them for Clinic visitors. The reason they are asking for 6 is because since fall they have grown quite a bit, and they anticipate having more and more patients.

The handicap spaces are well used by Speech/Path, students, etc. Board Members expressed concerns as this is a small lot, and because people from Physical Science are moving up in that general area, giving away reserve spaces, would take away from their parking. It was stated that the plan was to expand R6 across from the Education Bldg. to accommodate people from Physical Science. Deb Pein asked Bobbie if this situation had been discussed with other faculty/staff members who parked in R9. They had not discussed this with other faculty/staff members in that lot. Bobbie stated the lot is usually full, and lots of times they are not permit holders for that lot. The visitor meters are there, but students, faculty and staff usually park there. Lin Sherman suggested we take into consideration that we reduce the H08/H09 housing lots and make some faculty/staff parking in there for faculty/staff being forced to move. He stated that since they only had students in Turner Hall, students didnít need as much parking by the dorms, and besides, there was plenty of parking for them in the general lots. Itís not like they donít have access. Of course, the same could be said for faculty/staff members, and the students were also forced to move. Lin stated that when he was in Virginia, student did not park even near their apartments. Carol Prescott stated it was kind of nice that ISU could do that for their students.

Deb Pein suggested taking some of the meter spaces away, since there was quite a few, and especially since they had the same problem with students, faculty and staff using the meters, instead of visitors.

The Board Members approved removing 3 meters spaces, and making them reserve, and then taking 3 reserve spaces by handicap, and making 3 Senior Health Clinic spaces. They also asked that a memo be sent to faculty/staff members letting them know of the situation.

II Parking For Physical Science Personnel Temporarily Located At Garrison

Jeff Evans submitted a memo dated 4/29/99 from staff members of Physics, Geology & Math (enclosed) asking for approximately 30 reserve spaces to be created to accommodate their move to Garrison. They suggested making part of R7 general spaces in return for 30 extra reserve spaces, during their relocation.

Since Steve was in Idaho Falls, he asked us to page him so he could discuss this issue with the Parking Board. We got Steve on the phone, and Lin explained the situation to Steve. Lin asked Steve what his plans for R6 were. Steve said whatever they need, we will expand R6 by that amount. Deb Pein asked him about his plans for the Garrison/Turner Lot. Steve said it will stay the same, and be solely set aside for students. Regarding spaces in R1 & at the Redhill Bldg for loading and unloading, the Board felt they could get by with Official Business Passes for those needs.

Lin made the motion that per the requests of Physics, Geology & Math, that 30-40 parking spaces be designated as reserve in G10 lot beginning at Martin Luther King, and moving back until the accommodation is made, and that the remaining spaces in R7 that have not been purchased be re-designated as general parking until such time as Physics, Geology & Math can return to their building. Nora seconded the motion. Motion passed.

Nora said she had a complaint from a person who works in the T&T Building stating there are 2 ISU vehicles taking up reserve spaces in R4. They never move. They are between the Library and T&T. This will be checked out, and the cars will be moved.

III Changing Citations For Moving Violations

Carol said Steve wanted to know about making a whole new citation for moving violations only. He wants to separate them from the parking citations. Linda stated that moving violations are dictated by Idaho Code, whereas parking violations are regulated by our regulations. Moving Violations are a flat fee of $25.00. This will keep them separate from the parking violations. This was approved by the Board. Later, in speaking with Steve he stated what he really wanted was to change the amounts for each moving violation, and he will bring this up at the next Board meeting.

IV Memo From Miles Friend to President Bowen

Memo enclosed. This was referred to the Parking Board to look into the matter. Apparently he has arthritis, and that we took away his parking in the lot between Fine Arts and Pharmacy. It was stated there are 2 ISU Maintenance spaces, as well as several Official Business Spaces, and that he has plenty of parking in there. The Parking Board requested we direct a memo to Dr. Friend informing him there is still plenty of Official Business space parking in U2 for him.

V Changing Speed Limit On Road in Gl0 going up to Bartz Way

Carol stated that Steve said the road going along the outer edge of G10 up to Bartz Way is going to have curbs and gutters put in, making it even more of a road, and requested we be able to change the speed from 15 to 20 miles per hour. Lin Sherman wanted to know about the parking along there, because he stated there is parking in that area. Lin stated we could only do it if we take the parking out. Lin also stated there is a curve up at the top, and people come in and out of there, so if we raise the speed limit, weíre going to have to put in a yield sign, to get people to stop, because of oncoming traffic. This was approved with these stipulations.

Meeting was adjourned.

Agenda

Parking Board Meeting
Wednesday, September 29, 1999 @ 3:00 p.m.
Public Safety Conference Room

Old Business

I. R02 Visitor Meters

II. Regulating Bikes On Campus

III. Restructuring R08 Lot

IV. Senior Health Clinic Visitor Parking

V. Parking For Physical Science At Garrison Hall

VI. Changing Prices of Each Moving Violation

VII. Changing Speed Limit On Road in G10 Up To Bartz Way

New Business

I. Raising Permit Prices

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, September 29, 1999

Members Present at the Meeting

Christy Lauer, Chairman & COPE Member
Jeff Evans, CEC Member
Eddy Durfee, Applied Tech Faculty Member
Jenny Xiang, Academic Faculty Member

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Parking/Security Supervisor
Carol Prescott, Public Safety (taking minutes)
Chris & Kimberly Wilcox, ISU Students

The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.

It was noted that there was no student representation at this first meeting. Christy Lauer volunteered for the position of Chairman of this yearís Parking Advisory Board.

Before going on with other business on the agenda, it was decided to let Chris & Kimberly Wilcox speak. First Terrilee Hancock explained why they were there. She explained the abandoned vehicle tow policy. She stated it basically says that a vehicle that does not have a campus permit, is not displaying license plates, up on blocks, weeds growing around it, etc. is considered abandoned. The officers make a list of these vehicles. Terrilee stated that we try to identify the vehicleís owner, through Pocatello Police Department, or the Department of Transportation in Boise, Idaho. We make every attempt we can to identify the vehicle. We put a tow warning on the vehicle, then we send a letter to the owner, if weíve been able to identify the owner. In this particular case, everything was done according to our policies. The letter was sent to what Pocatello Police showed as the registered owner, a Steve Eaton. He called and told us he had sold the car, and only stated it was sold to an ISU student names Chris. We went ahead and towed the vehicle, not realizing that Mr. Eaton had called. However, Mr. Eaton could only give us a first name. The vehicle was parked in the visitor area at Ridge Crest, an unpaved area. Terrilee then introduced Chris Wilcox to explain his part of the story.

Chris Wilcox showed the Members where his vehicle was parked at Ridge Crest, in the visitor parking area. Steve explained that area is graveled and flattened, and designated as visitor parking, with curb stops to designate each space. Chris stated this is where his vehicle was parked, next to a white Ford Taurus, which is still parked there today. There was also a Mazda RX7, also parked on the right hand side. Chris stated heís had his vehicle parked there since last Christmas. He stated that he parked it there, because it was visitor parking, and it wasnít in any of the designated parking places for other apartments. He stated he had no prior knowledge of the ISU abandoned vehicle policy. Chris stated Kimberly noted that this policy was implemented way before Ridge Crest was even built. Chris stated it was a totally different scenario compared to a person parking at Pulling Courts, on the streets or taking up a parking place around the Library.

Terrilee explained the intent of the regulation was for two reasons. One reason was for parking space, and the other reason was so that we wouldnít have a bunch of cars sitting all over campus, that people were working on, for cosmetic reasons.

Chris Wilcox stated his vehicle does run. He needs to finish up work on the transmission, and he doesnít drive it around. He stated as soon as he finished the transmission work on it, he would be selling it.

One of the members asked Chris what it was he wanted. Chris stated he wanted to get his vehicle back. He then stated the reason why they were there was so everybody here at the meeting will understand there is now a little bit different scenario going on. Although he wasnít driving the vehicle, it wasnít abandoned. Steve Chattertonstated there were not tickets placed on the vehicle, but a tow warning was placed on the driverís side window. It was stated that the view of the sticker was obscured by another vehicle that was parked there. Steve stated under our regulations that is where we place the tow warning, but under other circumstances, we can put it on the rear window, where they can see it.

Jeff Evans asked what the procedure was in getting the vehicle back. Steve Chatterton stated that someone has to pay the tow fee, and the storage fee.

Terrilee stated what Chris is asking is that he be allowed to keep the vehicle up there, under his special circumstances, or to change the regulations so that others that are in the same situation at Ridge Crest, can keep their vehicles up there. Chris stated he is not working on the vehicle up there. When he does work on it, he takes it to a friendís house. He just wants the Board to let him store it there. Kimberly wondered if an exception could be made just for Ridge Crest. She didnít feel it was a problem, unless someone complains.

Eddy Durfee wondered how we would regulate who is parking their vehicle up there, and just leaving it. He stated we had certain rules for certain reasons. We didnít make the rules just to punish the Wilcoxís. Chris didnít think people would be parking there vehicles up there and going to class. But that was not the problem the Board saw, it was people leaving their vehicles up there.

Ron Peterson stated he did not have a problem with students leaving their vehicles in the visitor spaces, but felt it should have some sort of ISU Parking pass on it, for identification purposes. Ron stated he sure sounded and looked like an abandoned vehicle. If we know who it belongs to, we can at least identify who it belongs to you. Kimberly Wilcox stated they had not gotten a permit for it, because they had not licensed it yet, and needed a license plate number to get a permit. Terrilee stated we have registered vehicles by VIN numbers, but itís usually on a temporary basis.

Steve Chatterton stated he felt we had two issues. The primary issue is how the campus is going to look, and how we are going to regulate the vehicles that are being stored on campus. If Ron is willing to let them be stored up there, then how long do we allow them to be stored, and under what condition. There could be a liability issue too. But the immediate issue is that every day Mr. Wilcoxís vehicle sits out at the wrecking yard, itís another $5 or so. Ron Peterson stated he would work that out with Mr. & Mrs. Wilcox. However, he stated the reason he did not want to let them store cars up there is because it can tend to start looking like a junk yard. Then with the youth population up there, you may have a situation with them messing with those vehicles.

Chris stated his only intention with the vehicle is to fix so he can get it sent down the road (sell it). Terrilee asked him how long that would be? Chris said he wasnít sure.

Steve thanked them for coming in. They wondered what the decision would be. Christy Lauer stated that if Ron Peterson was willing to pay the cost of getting your vehicle out, that was one issue he could take care of. She asked that they come in and register the vehicle with the Parking Office and get a parking permit. Christy stated the other issue (storing vehicles on campus) would need further discussion.

Christy Lauer asked Ron how he felt about people storing vehicles up there, like recreation vehicles. Ron stated there are some vehicles with campers, etc. already parking there. Ronís issue was if we start having abandoned cars up there, it can get rather unsightly. Steve said if it was alright with the Board, we need to have our officers go up and look at those vehicles again, and weíll put the tow warnings on the back windows of all of them, if we canít identify them, and get these people to contact us. If they donít contact us, and weíve made a reasonable effort, then we should be able to tow them. Christy Lauer stated she would talk to Brad Hall about this issue to see if there would be a liability in storing vehicles there, causing damage, or a kid getting hurt.

Old Business

I. R02 Visitor Meters

Steve stated basically what we were looking at there is the meters on the 8th St. side of the Administration Building. Most of our meters on campus say ďVisitors Only, No Faculty, Staff or StudentsĒ can park there. We know that they do anyway, but this way we can write them a citation. We write them a citation to control student parking in various places. At those meters there, we are having a problem with staff people, who go out there and feed the meters. Then the visitors to that lot canít find a place to park to go visit. The Parking Board looked at whether we should put a sign on those meters saying ďVisitors OnlyĒ so we could write parking tickets to faculty, staff and students, even though they had fed the meters. Then there was a question from Darrell Buffaloe to look at the visitor parking for that whole area, because Family Medicine was moving. They have moved, and that has freed up some parking, but now Student Union is looking at some of those parking spaces to accommodate visitors to the Student Union. The Safety Board is looking at that area, and discussing whether or not they want to remove all parking from the theater end of that lot. They can make the decision for recommendation, but then that recommendation needs to come to the Parking Advisory Board for our concurrence. The Safety Board is concerned about the traffic there. They asked Steve to put some arrows there, and make it an entrance only where the bus turns in, and not an out. So weíll probably put an arrow there, but Steve does not see that as a major safety problem if people go out the entrance, as long as they donít block the bus. Student Health also uses visitor spaces over there.

Steve stated the only issue we need to really deal with is whether to put up those visitor signs. That is what those meters were designed for was visitors. But they are usually filled with faculty, staff and students, who feed the meters. This is the only place on campus we donít have those signs up. The Parking Advisory Board agreed that we should put up the signs. Steve said he would pass this information on to Darrell Buffaloe.

II Regulating Bikes On Campus

Steve stated he had his officers out doing radar surveys on bikes on campus. The highest speed theyíve seen is 19 mph. He stated weíve had numerous complaints from faculty, staff and students who are on the sidewalks, and bicycles just come zipping by at excessive speeds. Most campuses regulate bikes. They either walk them, or they can only ride them at 5 mph. Our average speed that weíve seen in the past couple of weeks has been 9 mph. The highest speed is 19, the lowest was 3. Eddy Durfee said he the problem heís seen is how they ride their bikes. They donít seem to believe they have to follow the same rules as everyone else, flying through parking lots, or riding on sidewalks. He felt we should talk to them about the safe operation of bicycles.

Steve Chatterton stated we had put in for 2 grants. One to build bicycle paths on campus, and one for the 90 acres we have on Buckskin Road. We did not get either one of those grants. We will reapply for them again this year, and see if we can move up a little higher on their list. But the last Board felt we should put bicycle paths on campus to separate the bikes from the pedestrians. So we are still working towards that.

Christy Lauer asked if we were still thinking about closing or narrowing down the traffic that parks on Martin Luther King? Steve said yes, we would like to do that. Weíve asked a couple of times to have that parking removed. We did not do it last year, because we were expanding the parking at Owen/Redfield to accommodate the residents that live in East Hall. We did that this year. We put another 17 parking spaces up at Owen/Redfield, so we can now go back and ask to take parking off of that street.

There was a sub-committee on the bicycles. They wanted to see more signage, they wanted us to get a study on that, and they want us to see about getting separate bicycle paths. Those are all long-term things. They did not want to regulate speed at this time.

Jeff Evans asked about skateboarders. Steve stated our officers deal with them if theyíre obviously violating our human vehicle policies. Basically, our human vehicle policies follow Idaho Code that says youíre not supposed to jump over things, or run into things, etc. We donít regulate their speed, but if they are jumping on things, then we deal with them on an individual basis. We make contact with them, tell them what the rules are, and give them a copy of the rules. If we catch them a second time, we give them a written warning. If we catch them a third time, we ban them from campus. Thatís why we have our officers on bikes, to make them more accessible to these people.

Christy Lauer asked if we had a speed limit on campus for bicycles, etc. could we enforce that? Do our officers have the equipment to enforce it? Steve Chatterton stated yes they could. We have radar units. Thatís what they are doing the speed surveys with right now. And our guys can catch them on their bicycles. If they are on ISU property, we can cite them. Jeff Evans didnít see any problem making a 5 mph speed limit on campus, because thatís still going to get you around campus a lot faster than getting in your car and trying to drive somewhere on campus.

Steve stated we were still in the fact finding stage, unless you feel you have enough information to say right now we want to establish a speed limit for bikes. Steve stated that by next month he hoped to have a pretty good list of speeds on campus. The Board will wait until this information is in.

III Restructuring of R08 Lot

Steve stated this one had been completed. We added another 32 spaces up there, and installed new lighting up there. Eddy Durfee said one problem he saw up there was not having the parking blocks. People were just zipping through the parking area, and there looked like a potential for problems with maybe accidents, etc. Steve stated said they had the same type of situation occurin R01 lot when they first made the switch over there. They got used to that after awhile. So before we make any strong decision on making any change up there, Steve would like to give it a year, and see if everybody gets the idea. If not, we can certainly do some other things.

IV Senior Health Clinic Visitor Parking

Steve stated we did as the Board directed us, and we have a first letter of complaint regarding that decision. A copy of this letter was given to each of the Members. Steve stated the problem seemed to be that these spaces were underutilized. The memo of complaint suggests we cut the spaces back from 3 to 2. Christy Lauer thought maybe it would take them awhile to get the clinic up and going. We should visit with Bobbi, and see how long she anticipates seniors to start using the clinic. Steve stated we would follow up with that. We will send Bobbi a copy of the complaint memo and ask them to respond to it, and get their input.

V Physical Science Parking At Garrison

Steve stated we were instructed to increase the parking over in G10, so we added another 30 reserve parking spaces to R06. That was completed.

VI Changing Amounts Of Each Moving Violation

Steve stated we talked at the last meeting about increasing them. For all moving violations, we have a $25 fine. We talked about whether the Board wanted to look at that, and set a fee structure for all of the other different types of violations. The Board, at that time, felt that theyíd just leave it at the $25.

VII Changing Speed Limit on Road In G10 Up To Bartz Way

Steve stated we talked about whether we should raise that speed limit from 25 mph to a higher rate of speed. We raised the speed limit from where you enter the lot on Terry Street by Reed Gym from 15 mph to 20 mph. Then as you get up past the dorms, and start up the hill, then itís 25 mph from that point on. Some of the residents up there felt that 25 mph was too slow. Theyíre doing 35 to 40 mph. Our officers are catching them routinely going 35+ mph. We are getting a few people who are doing 40-50 mph. They get tickets. The ones at 35 are getting warnings. Steve didnít think we should change it. The last Board decided not to change it.

Steve stated he didnít think it should be changed. We have people who walk their dogs or jog up there. There are kids who play up at Bartz Field. Most of your residential streets are 25 mph, and this is a family residential area. Steve stated Ron Peterson was comfortable with the 25 mph speed also. The speed will stay at 25 mph.

New Business

I Raising Permit Prices

Christy Lauer stated our last fee increase was in 1991. Steve stated we implemented it in 1992, and it was fully implemented in 1995. Steve said he just wanted to bring some information to the Parking Board. The urban transit system operates on federal monies that are supplemented by governmental entities. So the City of Pocatello pays about 35% of the total operating costs for this system. The rest of it comes from the federal government. Ron Bingli, the Transit Manager, would like to see ISU participate to the same amount of 35%. Not of the total budget, but 35% of what it costs him to operate the bus system on campus. Right now we are paying a little bit less than that. When we first implemented the new parking fees, we were paying about $20,000 a year for the bus system. Just to put it in perspective Boise State University pays $100,000 for their bus system. They fund that bus system from parking fees. They pay $100,000, they have approximately 100,000 riders a year. Our ridership on the bus system, we havenít got the final figures from last year. Ron Bingli estimates that it will be over 300,000 riders a year. Right now we pay, itís gone from $20,000 to $32,500. That amount of money we pay comes out of the parking budget, which impacts our ability to do parking lot repairs and all of that kind of stuff. Ron Bingli would like to see us come up to $42,120, which would be 35% of the cost that it costs him to run the bus system on campus. Every time we increase the bus service on campus, right now weíve asked the transit system to pick up the diesel students and bring them up, and take them back. They are doing that at no extra charge. At some point in time, they may ask for a charge on that. So who pays that? Ron is doing that right now, because it fits fairly close to a route he already has, so itís not a major problem. If we ask for another bus on campus, itís going to be another $20,000. If youíre on those buses, some of them are full. So, at some point in time, we are probably going to ask Ron for some help. Particularly if we build more housing units up on Bartz, or once the Performing Arts Center gets built up there and they hold classes.

Going from $20,000 to $32,500 is $12,000 that Steve wonít have to spend on parking lot maintenance. Parking lot maintenance costs are also going up. When we first started using the money, we used the money to resurface the parking lots. However, he hasnít got all of the parking lots resurfaced now, that need to be resurfaced. And the ones that we did resurface, if we donít do something with them, theyíre going to be in the same condition they were before. Then heís got to spend more money to resurface them. So, itís cheaper to seal coat and crack seal them now. But we donít have enough money to crack seal and seal coat, and resurface the other lots that still need to be done. This also leaves us without contingency money for the bus service, if we want to expand the bus service. If we want more bus service, it will come out of parking. Other universities charge more for parking, so they have the ability to do that.

Christy Lauer asked what BSU and other universities charged for their permits. We told her we would find out.

Terrilee Hancock stated she teaches a first year seminar class at Reed Gym from 1pm to 2pm, and rides the bus. She stated the bus is full, and sheís heard students say we need more buses during certain times of the day. Steve stated last year we added more buses during the period of the day, and that is costing us more money. Steve said we were getting ready for the 2001 Centennial celebration, and it would be nice to have some of our parking areas look a little bit better, but we canít do that without more money. He said he is looking at grant money and some other things to try and do that, so we donít need a fee increase right now. What he wants to do is generate some thoughts here on how we want to take care of buses in the future, and the increased usage of bus transportation on campus.

If we raise the parking fees $5, that generates $30,000. If we raise the parking fees $10, itís $60,000. Some members wondered what other universities charged. U of I is very restricted parking. Carol Prescott will get some figures. Steve said Ron is not pushing for the extra money at this time. But if he gave him the $10,000 now, weíd be out of the parking repair business.

Christy asked how many buses we had. Steve stated we had 2 buses primarily, and the make rounds about every 7 minutes, depending on the traffic flow. During the peak hours, they put 2 more buses on.

Terrilee also brought up the fact that itís not all people who donít buy permits. A lot of it is people who donít want to lose their parking spot, and will ride the bus around campus. There is a student in the Public Safety office who will parking in our lot, then ride the bus to their classes. Which is a good thing, because we want to reduce the amount of traffic on campus. So the bus system is a good system. We want to encourage buses and bikes. We donít want to leave an impression that itís just people without permits riding the bus.

Steve stated this is an issue weíll have to deal with at some point in time. Right now itís not a crisis, but that could change just about any time. What Steve wanted to do is generate some input. If we want to do something for the campus, and people are willing to entertain that for a short period of time, say a 1 year increase, thatís one thought. But we are looking at other ways to gain some money to do some things for the 2001 Centennial. The bus thing will not go away.

Eddy Durfee asked what the time line was for when we wanted to do these fee increases. Steve said Ron is not going to push us for what he thinks our percentage should be. But if we jump up and ask for another bus, heís going to say heíll do it, but heíll want the $20,000. We may not need the fee increase now, but we need to come up with a plan. Nobodyís ever said weíre going to fund the bus system through parking fees, and weíre going to increase our fees to accommodate that. Steve said that is what heís asking them to look at. If thatís what we want to do, then we should have some concurrence. Then the Parking Board would maybe make a recommendation that we want to start charging more to pay for the extra bus service. We want the Parking Board to have the ability to raise the parking fees. But Steve said he would like the Memberís constituents to hear this issue, and start thinking about whether they are willing to pay more, and how weíre going to do it. We have the authority right now to recommend it to Darrell and President Bowen. But if the Memberís constituents understand the problem, and concur, then itís a smoother process. Unfortunately, we did not have student members present, and they will have the greatest impact. We are not in a situation where we have to make a decision this month, or even this year. But we want to get some ideas on when and how we want to do this. All members agreed to discuss this issue with their constituents, and more discussions will be held when student members are present.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:00 p.m.

Parking Board Meeting

Wednesday, December 1, 1999

Members Present at the Meeting

Christy Lauer, Chairman & COPE Representative
Jenny Xiang, Academic Faculty Member
Ed Durfee, Applied Tech Faculty Member
Jeff Evans, CEC Representative
Scott Morgan, Grad Student Representative

Non-Members Present at Meeting

Stephen Chatterton, Director Public Safety
Terrilee Hancock, Parking/Security Supervisor
Carol Prescott, Public Safety (taking minutes)
Linda Tobias, ISU Public Safety

The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.

Old Business

I. Abandoned Vehicle Policy

Christy explained the reason why this issue was on the agenda for Scott Morganís benefit. She stated we had 2 students from Ridge Crest that came with a request for the Parking Board to get their car out of storage. It had been towed away. It had been up at Ridge Crest for several months. They stated they were working on the vehicle, and trying to get it operational. They parked it in the visitorís parking area, and it received a tow warning on one of the windows, but it was obscured by one of the other cars parked there, and they did not see it until after it was towed away. We took care of the immediate problem which was to get their vehicle back. However, it still left us with the issue of whether we want to let them park vehicles. They felt they should have a little more leniency since they were clear up on Bartz Way, and should be able to store vehicles up there. Steve Chatterton stated that Ron Peterson had agreed to let them store vehicles up there unless it becomes a problem. Then we would coordinate with him, if it starts looking too trashy.

Christy stated she spoke with Brad Hall, University Counsel, and there is the .....nuisance issue that would get us into some liability problems, if we had some kids go up there and mess around with the vehicles stored up there. There is no shortage of parking for residents up at Ridge Crest, everyone has 2 parking spaces assigned. This was a third vehicle issue, where they were working on it to sell it. They werenít doing the work there, but they were moving it back and forth.

Ed Durfee said he didnít feel we should allow these two people to do this, as then we would have a problem with others wanting the same consideration in other areas of the campus.

It was decided we would have Ron Peterson come back in and set up a policy on this issue. Steve Chatterton will have Ron formalize what he wants to allow up there, and go from there.

II Regulating Bikes On Campus

Steve Chatterton stated they had completed the speed surveys. The highest speed they recorded was 18 mph. The speeds ranged from 5 to 18 mph. This was on the sidewalk and in the Quad. We surveyed approximately 20 bikes. The average speed was about 12 mph.

We are also going to submit a bicycle grant in December and see how that goes, for bicycle paths. It was suggested we enforce a speed limit on the sidewalks. Steve said he would check to see if we had jurisdiction to enforce this. He thought we could enforce with students, faculty and staff. He will check into it. It was explained we are looking at this from a safety issue. We can regulate speed. The question is do we want to and at what level. We had a Bicycle Safety Committee set up last summer. They were a subcommittee of the Safety Committee. They met and talked about it last summer. Steve stated we can bring those people back together again with a recommendation to them, from the Parking Board, that we establish some reasonable rules governing the use of bicycles on campus. Or the Parking Board can just recommend to set up some rules.

The members of the Board were given copies of the minutes of the last Bicycle Safety Committee meeting. It didnít look as if they had discussed speed limits. Steve suggested we get the members of that subcommittee back together again, and be more specific. Have them generate some rules and regulations that they as bicycle users would feel were appropriate on campus. The Parking Advisory Board agreed to this. Steve noted they talked about mandatory bike registration. We donít do that, and that falls under the purview of the Parking Board, so we could implement that if necessary. We will have them formalize some enforcement areas.

III Senior Health Clinic Parking

We had a request from someone in the Nursing Department to set aside some spaces for the Senior Citizens use of the clinic there. Then we had some other responses from other faculty in the Life Science area, that felt these spaces werenít being utilized. We wrote a note to Bobbie Branch, but got no response as of November. Christy stated she has called her three times, and has received no return call yet. Steve Chatterton said we could comply with the other faculty members request to remove the signs, and see if Ms. Branch responds. We had set up 6 spaces, and the complainants asked that we remove 3 of them. Jeff Evans suggested we remove 3, and see if we get a response from the Nursing Department. If the 6 spaces arenít being used, then we should reduce it. Linda Tobias said we could let her know that the signs will be coming down by such and such a date. We would have the 3 spaces reverted back to reserve 9 spaces. Steve stated he will have Carol Prescott send Ms. Branch and email that the signs are going to go down on such and such a date, and that if she wants them back up sheíll need to contact the Parking Board.

IV Raising Permit Fees

Christy explained we had discussed financing more city bus use on campus through raising permit prices and we had asked for more information on what other institutions and universities in our area are charging. That information was passed out. Jenny Xiang had taken this issue to the Faculty Members. Some of them felt they should not have to pay extra for their permit in order to finance extra bus service. Christy Lauer said she got a lot of the same responses. She stated some of her constituents felt we should charge .25 cents to the students who ride the bus. Jeff Evans stated when they talked about it at CEC, they suggested that maybe at some places they sell permits, when you go in and itís for $5.00, you have a permit, and you just show the permit when you get on the bus. If you use the bus, you have to have the permit. Steve Chatterton stated the Transit Authority is not interested in those types of things. Their recommendation is that we donít, because of the significant delays these would cause. Steve stated we have 277,000 people riding the bus. If we do anything, whatever we do should be done to facilitate getting more people on the bus rather than anything that would incline a person to not use the bus.

Christy stated right now we are not in the whole, but we are looking at needing more buses. Weíve been approached about paying a larger percentage of the bus system. Right now itís covered by the federal government. Right now we are paying $20,000, and we would need to be up to about $40,000 to carry what the Transit Authority would be our fair share. Then if we add any other buses to the route, itís approximately another $20,000 per bus. Right now that is coming out of the parking budget that was for the upkeep of parking lots. Steve stated the other universities were doing this two different ways; through parking permits or through a student fee in the registration fee. Since there is no rush at this time, the members decided to come back next time with some ideas of how we might be able to do it differently if we donít go through permits.

New Business

I Towing Vehicles From Housing Residents When Fines Are Over $50

Carol Prescott stated this issue concerned students parking at the housing residents, such as Garrison Turner, and they rack up tickets of $50 or more, and we are not towing them because they live at those residents. So if we take their cars from where they live..... Terrilee Hancock stated the residentís on campus have questioned whether we should tow their vehicles from their housing residents. The regulations say if you have $50 or more in fines, you get a tow warning and then your gone. But because they live their, they are questioning whether we can tow them. Steve stated they want a free zone; if we catch their car anywhere else on campus we can tow it, but if we catch their car at the resident hall, we canít tow from the resident hall. They want the housing area as a safe zone. It was noted they were racking up tickets all over campus, then leave their vehicle at the resident for the rest of the semester, and not make arrangements to pay the fines. Steve said our feeling that we should be able to tow them no matter where they are parked, as they are in violation of the regulations, just like everyone else. If theyíve accumulated over $50 we should be able to tow it, even if they are parked at their campus housing residence. They should be subject to the same regulations as everyone else. Jeff Evans noted that would be like having your car repossessed and saying you canít take it if itís at my house.

The Parking Advisory Board concurred that we be able to tow vehicles with $50 or more in fines, even when parked at campus housing residents.

II Conrad Gollob

Members of the Board were given copies of Mr. Gollobs appeal of a towing charge incurred through Custom Towing. Mr. Gollobís vehicle was towed from campus because he had parking fines over $50 on his vehicle. Linda Tobias explained that we had this vehicle on our tow warning list. Our records showed this vehicle had close to $200 in outstanding fines. The vehicle was linked to the registered owner, Jonathan Smith. As we were towing the vehicle away, this kid came out. He stated he had never received a tow warning. In checking our records to see if he did. In checking further on the screen, we showed at least 4 cars that were all linked to the same registered owner. What we did not know, was the car was linked to the father, and the father had 2 children in the household, and they all drove different cars. We had linked it to the registered owner, as opposed to each individual child. The car was towed, and the young man feels it was towed unfairly, and he wants a refund on the tow charge from Custom Towing, because this particular vehicle he had been driving at the time had not had a tow warning. A letter had been sent regarding the fines. Another interesting part about this was that the vehicle had Idaho license plate Idaho 1B 9733 and the one that did have a warning was Idaho 1B 9773. The vehicle was also displaying a general lot permit. When he was asked about this he said it belonged to his girlfriend. We checked her record, and found she had no permit. He then stated it might be her momís permit. We found no record of her mom having a permit. We finally found the permit under her father, who was given the permit free of charge, because he was affiliate faculty. Also, it was a general lot permit, and the vehicle was parked in a reserve lot, so the vehicle was parked illegally. At this point in time he has $188 in outstanding fines, and he wants us to refund his cost of the tow. Linda read the appeal written by Mr. Gollob. It stated, ďI was never notified of an abundance of parking fines. I should have received an orange towing violation warning me of my vehicle having a chance to be towed. A letter was never sent to my home informing me of the situation with my parking tickets. Last year I had a lofty amount of tickets, but could not pay until later, which I did. Iíve always paid my tickets, and feel there was not enough provisions taken to warn me of being towed.Ē It was stated a letter was sent to the registered owner. Terrilee stated per the Deanís office it didnít matter who was driving the car, if the registered owner received the letter, and he is responsible for those tickets. He stated he always parks in R01 lot, and will continue to do so, as he always pays his fines.

It was asked if he actually does pay his fines. Linda stated that was another mystery. He said he had all these fines, and we canít find any other fines. It could be the other vehicle is unidentified at this time. What we think may be happening is that he drives these other vehicles that are unidentified. The 4 vehicles from the household did not get tow warnings.

Steve stated the point of issue here is that the vehicle we towed did not have our orange tow sticker on it. So the reason we bring it to you, we said we would not refund the money, if you want it refunded you have to make an appeal, and let someone else hear the story. The fact of the matter is, it did not get a sticker on the car. A letter was sent to the home on that vehicle, but he may not have received that. From his statement, however, itís clear he understands the rules. The question is, because we did not follow our rules by putting the sticker on there, do you want us to refund the $40.00 tow charge.

Scott Morgan stated he may not have know the rules and procedures at that time, but he may have researched afterwards. We canít assume he knew the procedures even though he very well may have and is trying to manipulate the system.

Linda stated if an individual drives several different vehicles, they can essentially accumulate $45 in fines on all these vehicles, the driver remains the same, they are still in violation, do we essentially disregard? Do we accumulate the $50 or more in fines to the driver, or to the vehicle?

We have officially told Mr. Gollob, we donít care what vehicle heís driving, he is now on notification that we will tow his vehicle if he has $50 or more in outstanding fines. We can revoke his right to park on campus, and tow any vehicle he has. Also, the permit he was displaying was confiscated.

The Parking Boardís decision was to apply the $40.00 tow charge to his parking citations, and send him a letter to the effect, stating no further notice would be sent, and any and all of his vehicles would be subject to tow.

Motion was made by Jeff Evans that tow warnings would apply to the driver/registered owner of the vehicle, not the vehicle itself. This is so that if they were driving multiple vehicles, we would not have to slap a tow warning on each vehicle, when they have over $50.00 in outstanding fines.

The motion was 2nded by Ed Durfee. Motion passed.

III Reducing Maintenance Parking in R04 Lot

Dave Treasure had some issues on maintenance vehicle spaces in R04 lot. He was unable to attend the meeting today. Ed Durfee presented this item for Mr. Treasure. Mr. Treasure drew a poster showing the how the parking was set up in R04. East of the Library is the parking lot, then a sidewalk, and then the maintenance parking next to the T&T Bldg. Mr. Treasureís contention is that we have too many maintenance vehicle spaces. The way it is set up there are about 4 for maintenance and the rest for Telecommunications/Official vehicles. Treasure stated he talked to Darrell Buffaloe. He got a letter from Buffaloe stating ISU Maintenance only needs one space reserved for them. Treasure stated that Mark Norviel is the only one that uses the Telecommunications space. His issue is do we need all those maintenance/telecommunications spaces there. He wants to add more reserve spaces to R04.

Linda stated that Mark Norviel is not the only one who uses those spaces. It was noted Telecommunications does have a hub over in the Library. Linda stated Telecommunications has said they have a real problem parking close, especially with computers they have to haul. So they need at least 2, and maintenance needs at least 1. It was noted that Graphic Arts has about 2 spaces in the R04 area. Mr. Treasure does have an R04 permit, and does get in by 6:00 a.m. so there is plenty of parking available. Some members wondered if we should make changes like this on an individual basis, since it seems to be only one person who seems to have a problem.

The Members agreed since it has been a University use area we should keep it that way. It was suggested we move the Graphic Arts spaces up to this area, and open those spaces up as R04 spaces. Before a final decision is made, Steve Chatterton will talk to Mark Norviel about their Telecommunication spaces.

IV Blind Spot in G06

Jeff Evans stated he was approached by faculty and staff regarding an area in the G06 lot, near the garage or building right there on the corner. There have been quite a few near accidents right there, because you canít see until youíre actually pulled out, whether thereís anyone coming or not. By then itís too late. A couple of suggestions were made. One was putting a big two way mirror on the corner of that building so you could see oncoming cars, or somebody walking out from in front of that garage (the Instituteís garden shed). Or if they could just make it one way, and that would eliminate the traffic coming from two different directions. Scott Morgan felt most people would not use the mirrors or the sun would cause problems, and making it one way would be hard to enforce. Mr. Morgan suggested a stop sign or yield sign. Jeff said heís gone back there to load and unload stuff, and there are kids on skateboards come zipping through there, and you canít see them until youíre right on top of them. Itís not a problem of people speeding, but they canít see whatís coming around that corner there. The members decided they would all take a look at this area, and get back on the issue at the next meeting.

Meeting adjourned.

Last Modified: 01/30/09 at 02:55:57 PM