Armed Individual or Shooter On Campus
If you see an
armed individual or a shooter on campus at any time,
immediately call 911 and ISU Public Safety at 208-282-2515
with your location, if possible.
If you cannot get through by phone an have email or test capability, contact Public Safety through firstname.lastname@example.org providing our dispatcher with the following information:
- Your name
- Nature of the incident
- Location of the incident
- Description of person(s) involved
- Number of persons who may be involved
- If shots have been fired
- Injuries to anyone, if known
- If it is possible to flee the area safely and avoid danger, do so.
- Notify anyone you encounter to exit the area immediately.
- Evacuate to a safe area away from the danger and take protective cover. Stay there until assistance arrives.
- Dial 911 and call Public Safety at 282-2515 with your location, if possible.
- If instructed to lock down and stay inside, go to the nearest room, office or core area of the building if safe to do so.
- Lock and barricade doors and block windows.
- Close blinds and turn off all lights.
- Silence cell phones but continue to keep them on in order
to receive emergency messages.
- Keep occupants calm, quiet and out of sight.
- Place signs in exterior windows to identify the location of injured persons, if safe to do so.
- Do Not Approach Emergency Responders - Let them come to you.
- Remain where you are until an "All Clear" by either the ISU Alerts notification system or an authorized known voice.
- If you do not recognize the voice that is giving
instructions, do not change your status (stay put). Unknown
or unfamiliar voices may be false and designed to give false
- Figure Out - what actions give you the best chance to survive.
- Get Out - If you can safely do so, get out and run to safety.
- Call Out - to 911 and Public Safety at 208-282-2515 and advise them of your room number and estimated number of people in the room.
- Hide Out - If you can't get out, then find a place to hide. Lock the door if you can. Turn out lights and be silent. Put cell phones on silent. Don't peek out - wait for the police, Public Safety, Building Coordinator or other first responder personnel.
- Keep Out - If the door can't be locked, then barricade the door with whatever you can. If the door opens out, then use belts to tie the door to heavy objects, if possible.
- Spread Out - DO NOT huddle together. Remain calm
and stay focused on survival. Develop a plan together on
what you are going to do.
- Take Out - If the shooter enters your area, assume their intentions are lethal. Fight or do whatever it takes to survive...Your life depends on it.
- If you encounter police, keep your hands elevated with palms open and visible, and obey all police instructions.
Last Modified: 03/04/15 at 03:04:35 PM