While You're Away
Statistics show that a burglary occurs every 10 seconds. To protect yourself, and your belongings, make your home look occupied while you are away. Purchase good locks, lights and an alarm system for safety.
Here are more specifics you can do to make your apartment, duplex, house or condo safer while your'e away!
- Leave a radio set to a talk show station to give the impression that someone is home.
- Purchase a timer at Lowes/Home Depot for your lights, radio and television. Set the timers on lights and radio/tv during the evening to give the appearance that someone is at home.
- Don't forget to have mail and newspaper delivery stopped. Nothing says "no one's home" better than a stack of old newspapers in the driveway.
- Do not have your answering machine message say you are out of town and when you will be returning.
- If you neighbors or a friend will be home while you are away, ask them to keep an eye on your place and call the police if anthing looks suspicious. Ask them to park a car in front of your home or in the driveway. Do the same for them while they are away. Nothing deters crime better than an aware neighborhood.
- Take your valuables with you, if possible. Leave your computer in the trunk while you are at your parents.
- Ask your landloard/management company what security precautions will be taken during holidays (If you live on campus contact ISU Campus Security about Vacation House Checks or visit our website for the Vacation House Check online form). Also, ask your landlord/management company what precautions you should take in case of freeze warnings while you are gone (i.e., leave water dripping, etc.).
- Double check all window and door locks before leaving, even if it's just for a few minutes.