ISU Policies and Procedures ISU Home | A to Z Listing of Web Sites | Search
Home |

Part 4. Personnel Policies

Section II. Appointment

C. Student Employment (Updated 5/02)

1. General

a. Hourly or Contractual Employment

The University may employ students on an hourly or contractual basis in accordance with the needs of the various departments, units, and the availability of funds. Student employment confers no rights to an expectation in continued employment.

b. Limitations on Student Employment

No student employee may be assigned to duties which are for personal and private gain, require partisan or non-partisan political activities, or involve the construction, operation, or maintenance of any part of any facility which is used for sectarian instruction or religious worship. No supervisor may solicit or permit to be solicited from any student any fees, dues, compensation, commission, gift or gratuity of any kind as a condition of, or prerequisite for the studentís employment.

2. Graduate Assistants

a. Graduate Teaching Assistant

A Graduate Teaching Assistant is a student who has been admitted to the Graduate School; recommended for teaching duties by the department to which he/she has been admitted and approved for appointment by the college, the Dean of the Graduate School and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

b. Graduate Research Assistant

A Graduate Research Assistant is a student who has been admitted to the Graduate School; recommended for research duties by the department to which he/she has been admitted, and approved by the college, the Dean of the Graduate School, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the President.

c. Fellowship

A fellowship is a scholarship award including a stipend which may vary in amount and requires no services on the part of the recipient. Fellowships may be supported by grants from outside agencies or University funds. Fellowship students are not considered employees of the University.

3. International Student Employment

a. Definition

Among the Universityís international student population, there are three non-immigrant student classifications:

F-1 (academic)

M-1 (vocational-technical)

J-1 (exchange visitor/scholar)

For these students, employment is defined as the rendering of services on either part or full-time basis for compensation (financial or otherwise), including self-employment. On-campus employment which is undertaken pursuant to the terms of a scholarship or assistantship is considered to be part of the studentís program of study.

b. Eligibility

(1) In general, international full-time students who are in good standing may be eligible to accept two types of employment while a student:

(a) Work on or off campus as a result of economic necessity due to unforeseen circumstances arising since the most recent entry (or re-entry), or subsequent change to student status is limited to twenty (20) hours per week while school is in session. Full-time work is permitted during the studentís vacation periods if the student is eligible, and intends, to register for the subsequent academic term.

(b) Practical training, which is employment in an area related to the studentís program of study providing training not available to the student in the country of the studentís foreign residence, is usually obtainable only after completion of the course of study, although F-1 students may apply for permission nine (9) months after beginning a program of study.

(2) An M-1 student may not accept employment or engage in business except for practical training after completion of the course of study. Application for practical training is initiated through the International Student Advisor.

(3) An F-1 student may accept on-campus employment (performed on the schoolís premises) without permission of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). F-1 students cannot accept employment or engage in business off campus during their first calendar year (12 months) as an F-1 student but, after this time, may accept off-campus employment if INS has granted prior approval (initiated through the Director of International Programs and Services). INS approval is given for an exact period of time, and the work-permission time frame is noted on the I-20 ID card carried by the student.

(4) J-1 students may be authorized to accept on or off-campus employment if approval is given in writing by the Responsible Officer or, in his/her absence, the Director of International Programs and Services.

(5) After completion of a course of study, on or off-campus employment for F-1 and JĖ1 students is not permitted unless practical training permission is authorized by the INS (or the Responsible Officer for JĖ1 students).

(6) Specific questions regarding international student employment may be directed to the Director of International Programs and Services, or the Responsible Officer for J-1 students.

[ Table of Contents ] [ Back to Part 4 ] [ Back to Part 4 Section II ] [ Previous Section ] [ Next Section ]