Music Audition Day
The Music Audition Day is usually scheduled each year for the last Saturday in February. This audition is for scholarships and/or admission to the department as a music major or minor. Auditions may also be scheduled by appointment. Here is the downloadable audition application form (word processing document). You can also call the music office at (208) 282-3636 for the audition application form. Questions about admission requirements can be answered by the music office. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Patrick McKnight Memorial Scholarship (new for 2011-12). Selectively awarded to an exceptional incoming music student from the immediate area (Greater Pocatello and surrounding). **NOTE: Application process for the McKnight is through the audition application form, not the scholarship application form which applies to students who are already currently enrolled.
Music scholarships are awarded to majors and non-majors on the basis of musical ability. Many scholarship awards are given to students who participate in band, choir or orchestra. Piano scholarships are also available. Applications for all music awards may be obtained from the Music Department. Please state specifically your performance area when making scholarship inquiries in order to channel your request to the proper director. Students who wish to be considered for scholarship assistance in the next academic year should return their applications by March 1. ISU will utilize every possible source to help students finance their study. Some assistance is also available through the Office of Financial Aids.
In addition to Band, Choir, Orchestra, and Piano Accompanist awards, the following endowed scholarships are available. Only one application form is needed in order to be considered for all endowed scholarships. Specific requirements and the scholarship application form can be downloaded (word processing document), or obtained from the music office. Incoming freshmen and transfer students are eligible for all of these scholarships except the Ruth S. and E. Chilton Phoenix Memorial Scholarships.
- Josephine H. Berryman Music Scholarships. Awarded only to full-time students. Financial need will be considered.
- Ruth S. and E. Chilton Phoenix Memorial Scholarships. Awarded only to full-time music students who currently participate in musical activities at ISU.
- Kathryn Grayson Scholarships. Awarded only to full-time vocal music majors.
- Russell & Jeanette Anderson Vocal Music Scholarship. Awarded only to full-time vocal music majors.
- R. David Missal Band Scholarhip. Awarded only to full-time music majors or minors who participate in the ISU Symphonic Band.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir Scholarships. Awarded only to full-time vocal students.
- ISU Marching Band. Available to full or part-time students who participate in the Bengal Marching Band and the Basketball Pep Band.
- Spaulding Foundation Jazz Scholarships. Available to full or part-time students in the jazz bands.
- Patricia Kwiat Piano Scholarship. Awarded only to full-time piano majors.
- Music Department Endowment Scholarships. Available to full or part-time music students.
- University Recognition Awards in Music. Available to full-time music students.
The Pocatello Music Club also regularly offers scholarships to ISU students through competitive auditions administered by the Music Department. These auditions are held on campus each semester for currently enrolled full-time music majors who have at least a 2.0 grade point average. The first place winner in each category (vocal, piano, instrumental) receives the Mark Neiwirth Scholarship and the second place winner in each category (vocal, piano, instrumental) receives the Pocatello Music Club Scholarship. The previous semester winners are not eligible for the next semester's audition.
The Idaho Federation of Music Clubs grants scholarships through an annual statewide audition.