Mental illness, suicide and bullying statewide videoconference on May 9
April 13, 2012
The Idaho Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health, together with the Idaho State University Institute of Rural Health, have scheduled a statewide videoconference May 9 to increase awareness and understanding of the mental health needs of Idaho’s children and teens.
As part of Children’s Mental Health Week, May 6 -12, and Children’s Mental Health Day on May 9, the free videoconference from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. MDT (2-5 p.m. PDT) will be accessible at the offices of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare in all Idaho regions.
Pre-registration is required. To pre-register, go to www.isu.edu/irh. Seating is limited so participants are advised to pre-register early. Certificates of completion will be offered to professionals to submit to their licensing boards.
Three presentations on bullying, stigma associated with mental illnesses, and art therapy are scheduled. Ann Kirkwood, MA, director of Idaho State University’s youth suicide prevention project at the Institute of Rural Health, Meridian Health Science Center, will discuss “The Consequences of Mental Illness Stigma: Impacting Help-Seeking for Children and Teens” (3 p.m.). Judy Herman, M.Ed., LPC, a Meridian School District counselor, will present “Bully Blocking… Anyone Can Be A Hero” (4 p.m.) Lisa Williams, ATR, LCPC, an art therapist at the Warm Springs Counseling Center in Boise will present “Art Therapy: A Hopeful Method of Recovery” (5 p.m.).
The videoconference will be offered at the following locations.
- Region One - 2195 Ironwood Court, Coeur d'Alene - Main Conference Room
- Region Two - 1118 "F" Street, Lewiston - 1st Floor Conference Room
- Region Three - 3402 Franklin Road, Caldwell - Room 226 (Owyhee)
- Region Four - 1720 Westgate Dr., Suite A, Boise - Conference Room 131
- Region Five - 823 Harrison, Twin Falls - Room 116
- Region Six - 421 Memorial Drive, Pocatello - Room 225
- Region Seven - 150 Shoup Ave., Suite 17, Idaho Falls - Room 240
- State Hospital North - 300 Hospital Dr., Orofino - Room 234 and State Hospital South - 700 E. Alice St., Blackfoot - Adm. Bldg. Room A09
For information about the videoconference, contact the Federation of Families at 208-433-8845. For questions about pre-registration, contact Kirsti Beck at ISU-IRH, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 208-282-4436.
For more ISU-Meridian news, visit the News Archive.