Advice for Stat majors
- See your Math Department faculty advisor every semester for advice about classes and degree requirements. The advisor can be of your choosing, but the default assignment is the department chair (Dr. Fisher).
- Get started on the Calculus sequence immediately.
- Get through the common Math/Stat core courses efficiently and early.
- Take at most three Math/Stat classes per semester.
- If you are interested in grad school in statistics, Math 4423-4 is recommended.
- Statistics major often minor in fields were analysis of data is practiced: for example, business, biology, sociology, psychology, economics. In some cases a class from another department is approved for credit in the statistics major.
- If you want to get a job in industry, take English 3307 (Professional and Technical Writing).
Sample Course of Study (This is only a sample; variations are possible.)
|Freshman year||Sophomore year||Junior year||Senior Year|
|Fall term||Math 1170
|Spring term||Math 1175
Math Department prerequisite tree
- ISU Math Club
- Career center, American Statistical Association
- Careers involving probability and statistics, University of Texas, Austin
- Actuarial careers
- Careers in mathematics
- Research experiences for undergrads
- The Graduate Record Exam and the Graduate Record Exam subject test in mathematics
- Mathematics Association of America
- American Mathematical Society
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- ISU online Undergraduate Catalog
- Math Department scholarships