Mission, Vision & Guiding Values
The mission of the IRH is to improve the health of communities through research, education, and service.
Our programs increase access to healthcare; enhance quality of care and health outcomes; improve the professional quality of life for providers; and seek to close the gap in health disparities— particularly among rural populations— by enhancing access to technology, endorsing a diversity of ideas, and encouraging cultural competency.
- Encourage improved health among rural residents through politically neutral approaches without bias or prejudice.
- Empower racial, sexual, ethnic, and linguistic minorities and people with disabilities in a culturally sensitive manner to promote good health.
- Diminish healthcare inequalities among rural populations by addressing health disparities and provider shortages that negatively impact overall health.
- Improve the quality of life and health of rural populations through research in a variety of fields.
- Encourage attitudinal and behavioral change through educational programs that include implementing the latest scientific theories and evidence.
- Acknowledge that providing services and education and conducting research complement each other in enhancing healthcare delivery.