Get To Know The IPO Staff
Shawn was raised in the high desert of southern California and has lived in Idaho since 1992. He has a wife, three boys and a daughter. Shawn gained an appreciation and love for international education while attending Idaho State University. He received his bachelor's degree from ISU in 2006 and has been working at ISU for over 10 years. He is currently the Interim Assistant Director of the International Programs Office and thoroughly enjoys watching and helping international students succeed in their pursuit of higher education.
- Favorite song/music genre: Classical and Country
- Favorite part of job: Role as advisor in the International Student Association
- Favorite color: Blue
- Favorite movie: Any adrenaline inducing movie...suspense, action, etc. BBC dramas are great too!
- Lifelong dream: To travel the world and to raise my children to be successful, contributing members of society.
Omar was born in Esteli, Nicaragua and came to the United States at the age of six. He has lived in Houston, Texas and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. As a young boy, Omar and his family constantly traveled to Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras and Spain. Omar received his bachelor's degree from Idaho State University in 2011 majoring in General Studies with a strong emphasis in the Performing Arts. He has represented Idaho State University at the Regional and National American College Dance Conference for three consecutive years. Omar is highly involved with student organizations on campus, and believes that mentoring others is the key for students to succeed.
In 2008 Omar joined the International Programs Office and found his passion in international recruitment education. Currently he focuses on international recruitment services and study abroad and has a passion for languages and culture. Since joining the International Programs Office Omar knows he has found his true calling and could not imagine working anywhere else. “I fell in love with Idaho State University when I stood on the top of Red Hill and saw the Mountains”.
- Favorite song/music genre: Jazz, Blues, Salsa, Merengue, Dance, Electronic, Come on, I love to dance. I love it all!
- Favorite part of job: When I see the International students arrive to ISU and how appreciative they are to be at ISU.
- Favorite color: Green and Blue
- Favorite movie: Anything that makes me laugh
- Lifelong dream: Travel the world, live to be 100 years old, and never stop learning from those around me.
Jesse came to Idaho State University after serving thousands of international students and refugees from more than hundred different countries. He Joined the International Program Office in June 2011. His professional career includes extensive experience in international students advising on immigration issues, and academic advising. He has enjoyed working with current and new international students and helping them make the transition to this great University.
Jesse is excited to be one of the newest International Programs Office staff member at Idaho State University in Pocatello where beautiful mountains meet heaven. When not advising students at work, Jesse enjoys watching basketball, football, and soccer.
Should you have any questions or just want to say hello, his office is always open to students. He always wants international students to know that they are in good hands at ISU; hopes you enjoy your experience as a Bengal, and looks forward to helping students.
Outside of professional interests, he travels widely; he tries to play basketball, and volleyball, soccer, and guitar.
- Favorite song/music genre: Country, Reggae, Rumba
- Favorite part of job:
- Favorite color: Beige, Dark Red and Navy Blue
- Favorite movie: Left Behind You - please watch it
Gene, a native of southeastern Idaho, moved to Las Vegas, Nevada early in life. He studied electronic engineering technology and worked at the Nevada Test Site for 17 years. Gene has a Bachelor of Business Administration in Computer Information Systems from National University, San Diego. He began working in the Human Resources department and became the Information Systems administrator. He was then recruited as a consultant to implement HR and Payroll systems, traveling mainly in the mid-west. Returning to Idaho, Gene began a new career at Idaho State University. He has worked in the admissions field for over 8 years. Currently, he is the admissions specialist in the International Programs Office.
- Favorite song/music genre: Wide variety, including classical, easy jazz and soft rock
- Favorite part of job: Working with International students and co-workers. It’s fun to be part of International Programs office.
- Favorite color: Brown
- Favorite movie: Adventures and old classics
- Lifelong dream: To have a close family that loves to be together with each other (and especially be able to spend time with the grandchildren as they grow up)
Bridget came to Idaho at the age of 9 years. 4 of those years had been spent in Europe: two years in Germany and two years in England. While in Europe she had the opportunity to travel to France and Israel. She learned at a very young age that culture and diversity make life richer and ever more vibrant. Her experience traveling abroad inspired her to work in a field of the humanities. Bridget has a Masters degree in the Performing Arts. Her work as a director and performer have shown her time and again that empathy is the key to understanding another person, no matter where they are coming from. Bridget currently holds the position of International Admissions Specialist in the International Programs Office. She loves meeting new people and being apart of a community that values interconnectedness and diversity.
- Favorite song/music genre: Changes by: David Bowie, Ain’t No Mountain High Enough By: Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, Manchester by: Kishi Bashi, Let It Be By and All You Need is Love By The Beatles
- Favorite part of job: Working and communicating with the amazing IPO team and future ISU students.
- Favorite color: Purple
- Favorite movie: Hedwig and the Angry Inch and Wall-E