The local Social Security Administration (SSA) Office is located at 1246 Yellowstone, Suite F, Pocatello. Their phone number is 208-637-2534. If you do not have transportation, you may take the city bus. Go to the Pocatello Transit website to obtain transit times.
Please note that your social security application cannot be processed until you have done the following:
- Been in the U.S. for at least 10 days.
- Obtained an on-campus job AND HAVE BEGUN WORKING
- Completed the Social Security Employer Letter. This must be completed and signed by your employer and an IPO advisor.
- Officially reported to ISU. Your SEVIS record has to have been officially registered. In order for this to happen, you must have checked in with the IPO office, registered for classes and paid your fees.
- Updated your U.S. physical address in BengalWeb. Go to your BengalWeb portal, log in and add or update the "Resides At" address type. Note that this is different than the "Mailing Address" type.
Once you have completed all of the above, you must visit the SSA Office in person to apply. Be sure to take with you all of the following:
- Valid passport
- I-94 card - this is the white card inside your passport
- Social Security Employer Letter (above) signed by your employer and an IPO Advisor
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Receipt of payment to ISU for full-time registration
- Completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5). This form can also be obtained at the Social Security Administration Office.
- For question #3 check "Legal Alien Allowed To Work"
- For question #8 write "N/A" unless your mother has a US Social Security Card
- For question #9 write "N/A" unless your father has a US Social Security Card
- For question #17 check "SELF"
Important: The SSA will verify your status using the SEVIS system. If you are not registered for classes and have not paid your fees in full, then your SEVIS record will not be registered and your Social Security application will be rejected.