ISU Records Center (NOW CLOSED)
Many ISU departments must retain records related to their operations for extended periods (5 - 40 years) before they are eligible for destruction. These types of records are considered temporary records.
As of July 2015, ISU began to utilize the State Records Center (SRC) for the storage of inactive, non-vital records; this as it provides cost-effective secure storage for ISU records. By moving inactive records to the SRC, departments will recoup valuable floor space available. The SRC provides other essential services such as: retrieval of University records , and the destruction of the records onsite when they reach the end of their retention period. The cost of the destruction will be the responsibility of the originating office. Benefits are: more space for active ISU records, enhanced records security, fire protection and environmental controls while reducing operating expenses. The ISU Records Manager is responsible for the transfer, storage, retrieval, and destruction of records stored at the SRC. All requests for records going to/from the SRC will be initiated by the department Record Coordinator and submitted to the Records Manager.
Access to the SRC must be coordinated through the Records Manager.
The SRC is located in Boise, Idaho.
Transfers of Records
In order to transfer records in/out of the SRC please complete the Records Transfer Form. The RM will, prior to shipping the boxes to the SRC, will enter the box inventory data into the SRC-RITS database and submit a transfer request to the State Records Manager for approval. After the request is approved by the SRC, the RM will contact the department RC to facilitate the transfer.
- Records should be transferred into NARA approved record boxes which may be ordered through Jesus Gonzales from the Ready One Industries website (www.readyone.org/packaging). You may also purchase them from the Records Manager, at $2.75 per box.
- To make it possible to retrieve files efficiently, all files in boxes must be labeled and listed on a Box Contents List. A Contents List form is available at the Forms and Documents Webpage, or you may use your own list. Note: Each file folder or individual item (no binders) must be listed. Departments should retain a copy of each list for future reference and retrieval requests
- Each box must be labeled to identify the origin of the enclosed records. Once the box is labeled, and the Contents List enclosed, fill out a Request for Records Transfer Approval form, get your manager's signature approving the transfer, and route to the Records Manager at Campus Box 8089.
- Once the request is received the Record Manager will review. After request is approved, boxes are to be mailed to the SRC. Once your boxes are received at the SRC , they will be assigned shelving number identifiers. This information will be shared with you to keep on file with your box lists. With this information, you can request retrieval of a file(s) at a future date.
If you have questions please contact the Records Manager, Monte G. Asche 208-282-3045
- Records storage box, stock #8115-00-117-8249 - 14 3/4" x 12" x 9 1/2", White, corrugated, fiberboard box has lapped joints secured by wire stitching. This box meets National Archives standards.
- Alternate containers will be used for electronic data storage
When the retention period for your records is met, a notice will be sent to the Records Coordinator for the office of origin requesting final destruction approval.
Records Destruction Expense:
The cost of final destruction of records stored at the SRC will be the responsibility of the department of origin. This is subject to change depending on the FY16 Records Management budget.
For more information on the SRC, please contact the Records Manager, Monte G. Asche, @ 208-282-3045, or email email@example.com