Transferring Records to University Archives
Before preparing an Approval to Transfer Records to University Archives form, it must be determined that the records you want to transfer qualify as permanent. Refer to the State Board of Education, Higher Education Records Retention Schedule of the Records Management Guide, or contact the Records Manager if you have questions.
Preparing the Records
- Use Standard-Size Boxes
- Records must be placed in a standard record box. Box size is 15" X 12" X 10".
- Organize Records in Folders
- Files should be organized in labeled file folders and the folders listed on a Box Contents Form.
- Content List
- A contents list (Box number, succinct folder title reflecting the contents of the folder with all acronyms spelled out, date range of documents contained in the folder), is required for each box transferred to the University Archives. Records will not be accepted without a list. Be sure to keep a copy of content list for future office use.
- Box Labels
- Once each box contains a contents list, label the boxes in the same language as found in the State Board of Education, Higher Education Records Retention Schedule of the Records Management Guide . Be sure to list the box label information on the matching content list.
- Approval for Transfer to University Archives Form
- The Approval for Transfer Form must be completed by the departmental Records Coordinator prior to transfer. Boxes will not be accepted without both Contents forms and a manager's signature of this Transfer form.
- Contact University Archives
- You must contact the Records Manager to schedule a time for records to be dropped off. Departments must arrange for record transportation to the archives.