Posted June 15, 2007
The Idaho State University Summer Theatre program has announced its scheduled workshops and performances titled the Summer Theatre Repertory Festival running June 21 through Aug 4.
The festival format is new to the program and presentations include children’s workshops and productions, a community musical and two theatre company performances, all family friendly.
The new festival allows patrons to see a variety of plays without waiting weeks to do so, said Erin Joy, L.E. and Thelma E. Stephens Performing Arts Center Box Office manager. Modeled after the Utah Shakespearean Festival, main-stage productions will be staggered every other day so viewers can see all in one weekend.
“An audience member can go to the theatre three straight nights and see a different show every night,” said Chad Gross, Summer Theatre general manager.
In addition to plays, the festival will offer weeklong workshops at the Stephens Center for students from kindergarten through senior high. These workshops will present training from ISU theatre staff with a “show-n-share” for parents and friends at the week’s end. Every participant will receive tickets to all three main-stage productions. Workshops are scheduled July 9-13, with grades K-6 meeting from 9 to 11 a.m. and grades 7-12 meeting from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Registration information and forms can be obtained from Jamie Romine at (208) 282-2907.
The festival schedule is as follows:
• June 21: “African Folk Tales,” Children’s Readers’ Theatre, Samuel H. Bennion Student Union Building, Idaho Falls, 2 p.m., tickets $2 at the door.
• June 22: “African Folk Tales,” Children’s Readers’ Theatre, Chick and Diane Bilyeu Theatre, Frazier Hall, Pocatello, 2 p.m., tickets $2 at the door.
• July 9-13: Theatre Workshops, Stephens Center, grades K-6 meet 9-11 a.m., grades 7-12 meet 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• July 19: “School Daze,” Children’s Readers’ Theatre, Bennion Student Union Building, Idaho Falls, 2 p.m., tickets $2 at the door.
• July 20: “School Daze,” Children’s Readers’ Theatre, Bilyeu Theatre, Frazier Hall, Pocatello, 2 p.m., tickets $2 at the door.
• July 25, 28, and Aug 2, 6: “Greater Tuna,” James E. and Beverly Rogers Black Box Theatre, Stephens Center, 7:30 p.m., matinee 2 p.m. July 28.
• July 26 and Aug 1, 4: “The Complete Works of Shakespeare,” Bilyeu Theatre, Frazier Hall, 7:30 p.m., matinee 2 p.m. Aug 4.
• July 27, 28, 30 and Aug 3, 4: “The Secret Garden” (community musical), Beverly B. Bistline Thrust Theatre, Stephens Center, 7:30 p.m.
The Box Office will offer family package options and summer season tickets as well as group rates for main-stage productions. For more information on tickets prices and purchasing, contact the Box Office at 282-3595 or online at www.isu.edu/tickets. Box Office hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday during the summer.