Posted March 7, 2014
The fourth annual Celebrate Idaho State, a CommUniversity event, will feature more than 120 groups providing a variety of free food, entertainment, art, culture, information, and scientific displays and demonstrations Tuesday, March 18, from 4 to 7 p.m. in and near the ISU Pond Student Union.
“Idaho State University and the communities of Southeast Idaho are closely linked and we again want to continue to celebrate that relationship,” said Valorie Watkins, Celebrate Idaho State co-chair. “We invite the community to come to the Idaho State University campus to learn more about this great institution and enjoy free food, entertainment and educational exhibits.”
CommUniversity is a joint effort by volunteers from local communities and Idaho State University to connect, support, and foster a strong spirit of mutual support, according to organizers.
Events planned are too many and too varied to list here, but highlights include:
• Scientific and educational exhibits, geared towards children and their families;
• More than 20 ISU College of Technology booths where the public can learn about that college’s many programs;
• Free food, which will begin being served at 4 p.m., includes hotdogs, cookies, lemonade and a potato bar;
• 1,000 T-shirts will be given away on a first-come basis;
• Performances by students from ISU music and theater departments;
• Tours of Idaho Museum of Natural History exhibits;
• Announcement of three Celebrate Idaho State $1,000 scholarship winners;
• An appearance by Benny the Bengal;
• Free bowling in the Pond Student Union Games Center; and
• Parking for the event is free at the Pond Student Union and Frazier Hall parking lots.
The entertainment schedule is as follows: saxophone quartet, 4:05 p.m.; ISU Jazz Band, 4:30 p.m.; string quartet, 5:10 p.m.; Portneuf Valley Drumline, 5:45 p.m.; and dance performances, 6 p.m. Costumed actors will perform after 5 p.m. throughout the venues.
“This incredible celebration would not be possible without our event sponsors,” said Jim Johnston, Celebrate Idaho State co-chair.
Event sponsors include various Idaho State University departments, the Idaho State Journal, KPVI Channel 6, ISU Chartwells, ISU Credit Union, Driscoll Farms, COSTCO, KORR 104, KZBQ, KID-FM, Star 98, KPKY – The Rock and the Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce.
For more information on Celebrate Idaho State, contact Valorie Watkins, 238-1278 or the ISU Office of Marketing and Communications, 208-282-3620 or email@example.com.