Idaho State University admission deferment policy
Idaho State University encourages high school seniors who may choose to delay their enrollment at ISU in order to perform voluntary service (church mission, U.S. military, or other government or non-profit agency) to apply during their senior year AND before the annual scholarship deadline of February 15.
- When applying for admission, applicants should select the fall semester immediately following their high school graduation. (Example: Students graduating from high school in the Spring of 2014 would apply for the Fall 2014 semester.)
- Applicants who are offered admission will be considered for academic scholarships if they apply before February 15.
- All other forms of financial aid require the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which must be submitted annually.
An admitted student who decides to delay their enrollment at ISU may submit a one-time request to defer their admission to a future semester that is up to six subsequent semesters (not including the summer semesters) after the semester they were offered admission. (Example: A student admitted for the Fall 2014 semester could request a deferment up to and including the Fall 2017 semester. See the table below for additional semesters.) This deferment assumes that the student:
- will remain a first-time freshman upon enrollment
- will enroll at ISU as a first-time freshman upon return from their volunteer service, and
- will not enroll at another postsecondary institution prior to their enrollment at ISU.
The Admission Deferment Request form must be submitted to the Office of Admission by August 1 before the fall semester for which the student has been admitted. (Example: For students admitted for Fall 2014 semester, the form must be received by August 1, 2014.) See the table below for deadlines for additional semesters.
- The deferment guarantees admission to ISU but not necessarily admission to a particular academic major and/or program of study.
- If an admitted student is offered a scholarship from the ISU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office, the deferment will also reserve their scholarship offer until they enroll at ISU. ISU guarantees the terms of the scholarship (dollar value, duration, and renewal criteria) initially awarded to the student, provided that the scholarship program awarded to the student is still active and funded when the student returns to enroll.
- If the scholarship program is modified or discontinued during the deferment period, the student will be evaluated for scholarship consideration based on the criteria of the new scholarship program.
- Deferral of scholarships awarded by other departments, agencies or organizations will need to be addressed directly with the appropriate department, agency or organization.
- If an admitted student is awarded financial aid and plans to defer their enrollment, the student must cancel their financial aid with ISU Financial Aid by calling 208.282.2756 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will need to reapply for financial aid for the semester in which they plan to enroll and meet the appropriate deadlines at that time.
It is the admitted student's responsibility to:
- Submit the Admission Deferment Request form to the Office of Admissions by the appropriate deadline.
- Submit the ISU Applicant Information Release form only if a student would like to have a parent or family member to be able to access ISU information related to their admission, scholarship(s), and financial aid. This Release may be revoked at any time.
- Update ISU on any change of address or contact information prior to their volunteer departure.
Admitted students who decide to pursue volunteer service after starting their enrollment at ISU and plan to return to ISU must work with their academic advisor and the staff in Financial Aid and/or Scholarships regarding the impact on their future enrollment.
This "Admissions Deferment Request" is available for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. International student applicants should contact the International Programs Office. Information on the international applicant deferral request can be found at http://isu.edu/ipo/defer/
Semesters, Deferment and Deadlines:
|Session admitted:||Can defer admission until:||Deadline for ISU to receive Admissions Deferment Request form:|
|Fall 2014||Fall 2017||8/1/2014|
|Spring 2015||Spring 2018||12/1/2014|