Idaho State University Cultural Affairs Council
Minutes of 12/2/05 Meeting
The following dates were scheduled:
• The next meeting will be Friday, January 20 at 3:30 p.m. Come prepared with ideas for potential spring semester speakers/performers.
• Deadline for mini-grant applications: Monday, April 3, 2006.
• Meeting to review grant applications: Friday, April 21, 3:30 p.m.
Rudy distributed several handouts:
• meeting agenda
• list of council members and email addresses
• list of council members and affiliations
• last year’s (2005 - 2006) Mini-Grant Application
Committee members introduced themselves. Laura Woodworth-Nye was excused as she was giving a presentation out-of-state. Carlene Paarmann served as a sabbatical replacement for Kristin Calley. Lowell Richards and Leo Herrmann were not in attendance at this meeting.
II. Orville Schell
His presentation on China, sponsored by the Council this fall, was very good.
III. Dr. Henry “Fritz” Schaefer
The Department of Chemistry (Robert Holman, Chair) approached Rudy about sponsoring Dr. Henry Schaefer on April 10 or 17, 2006. Their request is for his $500 honorarium. The request fits the criteria for funding; i.e., free to the public, of interest to the general population, etc. Because of the speaker’s reputation and the minimal cost, Rudy approved their request.
IV. Mini-Grants 2004-2005
Rudy explained that the total budget for this council is approximately $20,000 per year, $2,000 of which is allocated to mini-grants. Four mini-grants were awarded for this academic year:
1. Laura Woodworth Nye (Idaho Yesterday)
2. Department of Sociology (Sid Crue and Gesine Hearn)
3. Foreign Language Department – Don Quixote – BYU Golden Age Theater
4. Department of Anthropology (Tony Stocks) – money was not yet spent because the approved speaker raised his original price (“he got mean”). He would like to find a substitute speaker.
V. Mini Grants 2006-2007
Members reviewed last year’s application form for the mini-grants. Rudy asked for corrections or changes. Only the deadline date will be changed (deadline date: April 3, 2006).
A meeting date was established for committee members to review mini-grants: Friday, April 21, 2006 at 3:30 p.m. Copies of the applications will be distributed ahead of time so members will have an opportunity to review the proposals prior to the meeting.
VI. New Business
Rudy suggested that the committee meet again right after spring semester begins to discuss spring speakers. The next meeting date was scheduled for Friday, January 20 at 3:30 p.m.
Potential activities to sponsor this spring were discussed. Dave Adler would like the committee to consider sponsoring speakers for the Bush Presidency Conference that will be held in April (?). After some discussion, the committee agreed that sponsoring the keynote speaker would be more keeping in line with the mission of this council. Dave would like to invite Tom Cronin to present the keynote address. The cost for his expenses would be approximately $2000.
Melanie also had a few suggestions for speakers and performances (Arvndhati Roy, Joe Good Performance Group). Rudy explained that some activities (e.g. performing arts) could require a minimal admission charge to help offset the cost of the program. He also told the group that planning of some performances may take more than a year. Everyone is to be thinking about ideas for spring speakers to discuss at the January meeting.
Dave and Melanie will find out more about the costs and availability of their suggested speakers/performers before next meeting and will report again in January.
Approved by CAC: January 20, 2006; Approved by Faculty Senate: February 13, 2006