Cultural Affairs Council
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
Attendance: Rudy Kovacs (Chair), Alok Bhushan, Kristin Calley (Secretary), Dante Cantrill, Lowell Richards.
Excused: Leo J. Herrmann, Beverly Ray, David Adler, Jenny Semenza
I. Approval of Minutes:
· Members approved minutes from December 1, 2004 meeting and minutes have been forwarded to faculty senate.
II. Idaho Humanities Council Grant:
· The Idaho Humanities Council approved the grant application requesting $3500.00 to help support Terry Gross's presentation on April 20, 2005. Terry Gross is the radio host of the nationally syndicated talk show "Fresh Air."
III. George Winston Concert:
· George Winston will be at Idaho State University on Monday, February 7, 2005 at 8:00 p.m. in Goranson Hall. Tickets will be $8.00 for faculty, students and staff and $12.00 for the general public. All proceeds from CD and audio tape sales will be contributed to the Pocatello Food Bank. Tickets can be purchased at the ISU SUB information desk.
IV. Terry Gross:
· Terry Gross, the radio host of the nationally syndicated talk show "Fresh Air” will speak on April 20th 2005 at 8:00 p.m. in the Bistline Theater. The theater will seat 450 people. The presentation will be free to faculty, students, staff and members of the community.
V. Mini Grants – 2004-2005:
· Bonnie Frantz a member of the Human Rights Committee,
recognized the Cultural Affairs Council as a contributing sponsor of events
during Human Rights week.
VI. Mini Grants – 2005-2006:
· Applications for mini grants were distributed campus wide. Deadline for grant submission is April 4, 2005.
VII. Schedule for Next Meetings: Meetings times have changed to Tuesday at 11:00 am.
· March 22nd @ 11:00 p.m.
· April 26th @ 11:00 a.m. (mini grant review) (tentative)
VIII. New Business
· Speaker suggestions:
· Seamus Heaney, award winning poet and 1995 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize for literature (Steven Barclay Agency) is not accepting engagements for 18 months.
· Maureen Dowd, columnist on The New York Times and winner of the 1999 Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary. DA has written a letter to Maureen to inquire if she would consider a speaking engagement at Idaho State University and is waiting to receive a reply.
· Orville Schell, author and historical expert on Asian history (Steven Barclay Agency).
Kristin H. Calley, Secretary
Rudy Kovacs, Chair