Cultural Affairs Council
Wednesday, January 21, 2004
Attendance: Rudy Kovacs (Chair), Dante Cantrill, Kristin Calley (Secretary), Nandita Das, Lowell Richards, and Beverly Ray.
Excused: Leo J. Herrmann, David Adler, Jenny Semenza
I. Approval of Minutes:
· MSC to approve minutes with revisions from the December 5th meeting. Minutes will be forwarded to Faculty Senate.
II. Mini Grants – 2003-2004:
· MSC to approve Dr. Steven Shropshire’s mini grant request
· MSC to approve Dr. David Adler’s mini grant request
III. Speakers and Artists
· Terry Gross, the radio host of “Fresh Air”, is confirmed to speak on April 20, 2005. Dante Cantrill and Rudy Kovacs will write a grant to the Idaho Humanities Council to supplement honorarium.
· Sarah Vowell, oral essayist and radio speaker from “This American Life”, will speak on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 in the Chemistry auditorium at 8:00 p.m.
· The Brown sisters, will speak on “Brown vs. Board of Education” on April 6, 2004 in the Education Auditorium. The Department of Education will host a reception following the presentation.
IV. New Business
· Deadline for 2004-2005 Mini Grants is April 5, 2004
V. Meeting Times:
· Next meeting will be Wednesday, April 14th at 2:00 p.m.
VI. Action Items:
· Nominations for Committee Chair: MSC for Rudy to serve as Chair for a second term.
· MSC for Nandita Das to serve a second term on the Council.
Kristin H. Calley, Secretary
Rudy Kovacs, Chair