Cultural Affairs Council
Friday, December 5, 2003
Attendance: Rudy Kovacs (Chair), David Adler, Dante Cantrill, Kristin Calley (Secretary), Beverly Ray, Lowell Richards, Nandita Das, Jenny Semenza
Excused: Leo J. Herrmann
I. Introductions of New Members: Lowell Richards, Director of Pond Student Union
II. Approval of Minutes:
· Members approved minutes and all minutes have been forwarded to Faculty Senate.
III. Mini Grants:
· Cultural Affairs council was not acknowledged as a financial contributor for the keynote speaker during the Idaho Conference on Health Care.
· The speaker Linda Hill was bringing to campus, Lisa Tiger, was unable to keep her speaking engagement. Linda will see about rescheduling the speaker.
· Lisa Zotarelle is no longer at the University. Therefore, the $500.00 she was awarded will be available for use.
· Mini grant applications forms were distributed to members for review. Rudy will check at the Econolodge for prices. Lowell Richards will honor the $33.00 rate for rooms at the Student Union.
· Mini grant deadline is April 5, 2004
IV. Ideas for Speakers and Artists
· Dante Cantrill suggested bringing in Terry Gross, the radio host of “Fresh Air.”
· Dante also suggested Sarah Vowell, oral essayist and radio speaker from “This American Life.” Dante will contact Sarah Vowell to establish speaking dates.
· Beverly Ray suggested the Brown sisters, to speak on “Brown vs. Board of Education” during Black History Month in February.
· Also suggested was Dr. Steven Vogel from Duke University. Curt Anderson knows him and would be willing to write a letter to see if his honorarium is negotiable.
V. Meeting Times:
· Friday’s @ 2:00 p.m. tentatively. Meetings will be scheduled as needed.
VI. Action Items:
· Nominations for Committee Chair: MSC for Rudy to serve as Chair for a second term.
· MSC for Nandita Das to serve a second term on the Council.
Kristin H. Calley, Secretary
Rudy Kovacs, Chair