Cultural Affairs Council
Thursday, September 26, 2002
4:00 p.m. @ FA 308 Conference Room
Attendance: David Adler, Kristin Calley, Rudy Kovacs (Chair), J. Marshall (Secretary), Beverly Ray, Curt Whitaker (Sabbatical replacement for Dante Cantrill).
Excused: Nandita Das, Mary Dundas, Leo Herrman.
I. Introductions of New Members: Dr. David Adler, Political Science, Dr. Mary Dundas, Faculty Senate Representative.
· “Action Items” which recommends university policy governing public programs and exhibits sponsored by the university, including lectures, concerts, exhibitions, other public programs and use of performance arenas. This charge is per a meeting with Rudy Kovacs and Lyle Castle, 2002 – 2003 Faculty Senate Chair, during the process of going over the bylaws.
· Rudy has been able to schedule WOFA for Tuesday, March 25, 2003 for Frazier Hall.
IV. Mini Grants:
· Seminar: Dr. John Bindernagel, Canadian wildlife biologist, “Sasquatch, North America’s Great Ape,” 7:00 p.m., College of Education Auditorium. Grant Writer: Dr. Jeff Meldrum.
· Guest Recital: Dr. Elizabeth Holland Tomlin, Piano, 7:30 p.m., Goranson Hall. Grant Writer: Dr. Kori Bond.
· Grant Writer: Peter Vik, Psychotherapy & Treatment.
· Grant Writer: Lenore McAlexander, Sigma Xi, Ancient Inventing in Health Care.
V. Public Enemy, Chuck D:
· Curt Whitaker (English) has been in contact with Keppler Associates regarding Chuck D, leader and co-founder of rap group Public Enemy to present a lecture at ISU either January 28 or 30, 2003.
The committee was in consensus that this would provide us with someone who could discuss diversity issues.
J. will check on venues for both dates: Wood River, PSU Theater, Goranson Hall. J. will also check w/James Yizar and Program Board to see if they think students would be interested in meeting with Chuck D.
VI. Meeting Times:
· Wednesdays @ 4:00 p.m. Meetings will be scheduled as needed.
VII. New Business:
· Wong (Program Board Fine Arts – ISU Jazz Festival).
· Human Rights Week January 22 – 25, 2003.
· Ideas for speakers and artists.
VIII. NO ACTION ITEMS AT THIS MEETING
J. Marshall, Secretary
Rudy Kovacs, Chair