CAMPUS PLANNING COUNCIL
December 1, 2004 11:00 a.m. Student Union North Fork Room
Present: Denise Bowen, Steve Chatterton, Darin Dehle, Tony Martin, Ernie Naftzger, Josh Pak, Roger Rankin, Fred Risinger, Sharon Sieber, Joe Steiner, Dennis Toney, Kent Whitaker, Maher Wissa, Dawn Young
Excused: Darrell Buffaloe, Scott Campbell, Ken Prolo, Bill Stanton
Guest: Dr. Peter Vik, Faculty Senate Chair
Unexcused: Mary Hofle
Meeting called to order by Chair, Maher Wissa.
1. Approval of October 27, 2004, Minutes:
MOTION by Martin to approve minutes as written; seconded by Toney; motion carried.
II. Rendezvous Building Report by Darin Dehle
1. Facilities Development Plan: Dehle provided a review of the Rendezvous Building Project. Some of the items discussed were: the purpose of the building, outside and inside features, ADA features, housing units, classrooms, lecture halls, study areas, and various technology equipment to be provided. Dehle provided architectural renderings of the inside and outside of the building.
III. Activity Reports
A. Executive Committee: Dr. Peter Vik, chair of Faculty Senate, discussed the bylaws, specifically the process to add new members to the Council (as discussed in the last meeting recommending a representative from the Bannock County planning office, the City planning office, and from the Idaho Falls campus). Discussion by Council. Bowen suggested to have subcommittee(s) of the Council to include ISU departments outside the campus, such as those in Boise and Twin Falls. Discussion.
MOTION by Bowen to begin process of revising the bylaws to include county planning, city planning, and any other members as needed, and they be ex-officio and non-voting members. Second by Naftzger. Discussion. Vik commented Abegin process@ needs to be more specific.
Amendment to motion by Dehle to include a representative(s) from the Idaho Falls campus.
Page 1 of 3
REVISED MOTION: Council recommends the addition of members from the county and city planning and the Idaho Falls campus, and the Council Executive Committee will make the recommendation to Faculty Senate. Motion carried with one abstention. The Executive Committee will draft the recommendation. It will then be emailed to all Council members for approval before forwarded to Faculty Senate.
Discussion on format to use for subcommittee reports, as per a report form by Maher distributed to Council members.
MOTION by Rankin to use the form provided for subcommittee reports. Second by Dehle. Motion carried.
2. Site Development: Members to date include Scott Campbell, Kent Whitaker, and Maher Wissa. They have not determined a chair or set a meeting time as yet.
3. Facilities Development and Capital Construction: Chair Darin Dehle discussed report of the subcommittee meeting of November 8, 2004. (Copies of report distributed to Council members.) In their report the subcommittee asked for approval by the Council that they (the FDCC) be in charge of the development of the series of departmental moves that will occur when the Rendezvous Building is complete.
MOTION by Martin to approve the FDCC subcommittee request. Second by Naftzger. Motion carried.
4. Facilities Access: Chair Dennis Toney discussed report of subcommittee meeting of November 10, 2004. He noted the purpose of facilities access is to make sure access is available to all who use the campus facilities. They have received no issues for discussion as yet this year, but may have some with the winter snow and ice. He noted the campus ADA website has a form to use for reporting any ADA issues to the Physical Plant. Council approved the report of the Facilities Access meeting.
5. Circulation and Parking: Chair Roger Rankin reported he contacted the subcommittee members and the Physical Plant and they have no issues to review at this time.
F. Space Management: (Chair Darrell Buffaloe not in attendance.) Dehle commented this subcommittee will be highly involved in size of space and space use on campus, and they will be working closely with the Facilities Development and Capital Construction subcommittee.
6. Energy and Water Conservation: Chair Josh Pak reported the subcommittee has not met as yet due to scheduling conflicts, but they will be meeting next semester.
Page 2 of 3
7. Facilities Naming: (Ken Prolo not in attendance.) Wissa commented there is a current issue for naming which will be discussed at a later meeting.
IV. Old Business
A. GIS Map for Campus: Wissa reported the students working on the projects keep coming and going so he has to continually train workers. He suggested establishing a permanent position. Item tabled until the next meeting.
B. Long-Range Facilities Development Plan: (Scott Campbell not in attendance.) Item tabled until the next meeting.
V. New Business: None presented.
VI. Next meeting: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Location to be determined. Will poll the Council members after the first of the year to determine if another day and/or time is needed due to changes in spring semester schedules.
ADJOURNMENT at 12:15 p.m.
Maher Wissa, Chair Anna Weskerna, Secretary
NOTE: Next meeting is Tuesday, January 25, at 11:00 a.m. in the Student Union North Fork Room.
Page 3 of 3