ISU Encourages Use of IRS Data Retrieval
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows applicants (and parents) to access their IRS tax information and have it automatically inserted into the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- 2015/2016 FAFSA - Retrieval of 2014 tax information is available.
With just a few simple steps, the tax information can also be securely transferred into FAFSA on the Web. Check availability requirements. Specific questions related to the processing of your IRS tax return should be directed to the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
Only eligible applicants will be able to
retrieve IRS data. If you are one who qualifies, using this tool can:
- Ensures accurate tax information
- Is the easiest way to provide tax information
- You will not have to provide IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS to our school - We can not accept a tax return.
- SAVES YOU TIME!
How long after I file my federal tax form is the Data Retrieval Tool Available?
- Specific questions related to the processing of your IRS tax return should be directed to the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
A limited number of tax returns take longer for the IRS to process, such as when the return includes errors,
is incomplete, needs further IRS review, or is impacted by identity theft.
- 3 weeks AFTER filing your federal tax return electronically
- 8 weeks AFTER filing a paper federal tax return
How Do I Access the IRS Data Retrieval System?
- Choose appropriate year
- Enter Income Tax Form filed
- Mark current status of federal tax return
- Click on "View option to link to IRS"
- Use the address you listed when you filed your tax return.
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to provide tax information on the FAFSA, you may be required to provide the Financial Aid Office with an official Tax Transcript from the IRS Office. See Information below explaining how to Get Transcripts from the IRS.
Federal Requirements no longer allow us to accept Tax Forms. Students/parents must provide Tax Transcripts for verification along with the signed Verification Request Form for the appropriate year.
Get Transcripts (On-Line)
- Get Transcript by Mail
- Automated Phone Tool... 1-800-908-9946
- Contact your local IRS Office to request form.
- Which "Type" of transcript?
- For most Federal Tax Transcript Requests
- Amended.. If you have Amended your Tax Returns
- A signed copy of original tax return that was filed with the IRS;
- An IRS Tax Return Transcript (which does not have to be signed), or acceptable IRS alternative such as a Record of Account Transcript, A Return Transcript for Taxpayer
(RTFTP), or an Information Returns Processing Transcript Request - Wages (IRPTR-W);
- A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.
- Print Verification Request Form for appropriate year
- Submit forms to the ISU Financial Aid Office
- Extension.. If you have filed for an Extension of your taxes
- Get the prior year's "Return" Transcript from IRS link
- Obtain a copy of the IRS extension form you submitted to the IRS
- Print and sign Verification Request Form for appropriate year
- Submit all forms to the ISU Financial Aid Office
Note: A current year tax return transcript will be required prior to the second disbursement of aid.
- Verification of W-2 (Income) Forms
If you have already submitted your FAFSA, you may wish to update your FAFSA application with
IRS Data Retrieval Tool. For assistance view Tutorial: http://www.finaid.ucsb.edu/ media/videos/1516/english/irs- data-retrieval.htm