Protocol for Flag Display at Half-staff
Idaho State University observes periods of mourning upon the death of a specified official, former official, or other person honored by proclamation of the President of the United States or the Governor of the State of Idaho.
In reference to the National and State flags, Idaho State University follows traditional flag protocol and authority of the President of the United States and the Governor of Idaho.
The University flag – which features the University wordmark on an orange field and trimmed with a black border on top and bottom – can be lowered at the discretion of the University President.
The following classifications indicate individuals for whom the President may direct the University flag to be flown at half-staff for one working day, including the day the President first learns of the death or the day upon which memorial services are scheduled.
- Currently employed or emeritus faculty
- Currently employed staff members
- Currently enrolled students
- Former presidents of the University
- Current members of the State Board of Education
- Alumni and special friends of the University – at the President’s discretion
The flying of other flags, such as the University flag, or the half-staffing of flags for individuals or under authority other than those enumerated above shall be authorized by the University President and for such periods as they deem appropriate.
Procedure for Lowering
- Upon notification, the Office of the President or its designee will determine when the flags should be lowered to half-staff.
- The Office of the President or its designee will notify Facilities Services to lower the flags.
- The Office of the President or its designee will inform the University community. Information Technology Services may assist with e-mail notification and the Office of University Relations may assist with electronically posted news releases.
- Facilities Services will raise the flags following the official time of mourning.
Current ISU Student:
In honor of Megan Noel Bartley, the Idaho State University Flag will be lowered to half-staff on Saturday, July 25, 2009, the day of her memorial service. Megan was an ISU student majoring in Dietetics on the Pocatello campus and served as a Resident Advisor in University Housing. She passed away on July 21, as a result of an automobile accident.
We offer our condolences to her family and friends.
For Current Faculty / Staff Member:
The University Flag will be lowered to half-staff on Saturday, September 20, in honor of William Gibbs, Jr., instructor in ISU’s Computerized Machining program in the College of Technology. Gibbs passed away on September 17, 2008. A celebration of his life is scheduled for September 20.
For Student and Special Friend:
In recognition of the loss of two members of the Idaho State University family, the ISU flag will be lowered to half-staff on Wednesday, June 24, the day both services will be held.
Mel Morgan, longtime booster of Idaho State University athletics and a co-founder of the ISU Bengal Foundation, died on June 9, in Boise at the age of 91.
Bradley Todd Allen, an ISU student and supervisor in the ISU-Idaho Falls computer lab, passed away on June 19, as a result of a motorcycle accident in Idaho Falls.
We offer our condolences to their families and friends.