Energy Systems Wind Engineering Technology
About the Occupation
Wind Energy Technicians are responsible for the operations, maintenance, and repair of wind turbine generators. They troubleshoot complicated mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical problems on variable pitch, variable speed turbines. Technicians work in all areas of site operations as directed by the manager with minimal supervision. They perform all mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical component maintenance, repair or replacement of parts to correct malfunctions. Wind Energy Technicians perform diagnostic electrical analysis and control systems evaluation of wind turbine systems.
Energy Systems Wind Engineering Technology (WET) is a two-year program that prepares students to work in the growing wind energy industry. There is a high and growing demand for wind turbine generated electrical energy. Wind turbines require trained wind energy technicians who install and maintain these machines. The ESTEC Wind Energy Technician program provides instruction in wind turbine technology, turbine maintenance, tower safety, and wind energy economics. Students in these programs will be prepared for rewarding and profitable careers in this growing field.
- Program accepts students in August of odd-numbered years
- Typical classroom hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Program admits 20 students
- Physical demands for this program may include lifting, standing, bending, and close vision
- Energy Systems Wind Engineering Technology Associate of Applied Science (2 years)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (4+ years)
- Technicians and maintenance supervisors
- Shop managers and field supervisors
- Turbine manufacturing companies
- Utility companies
Cost of Attendance
Fees apply to the current Idaho State University fee schedule which includes mandatory student health insurance. Students with existing health insurance coverage may waive student health insurance. Waivers are available at http://www.isu.edu/stuhlth/insurance/.
Paying for College
You may apply for financial aid, scholarships, grants, and loans to help finance your college education. When you pay registration fees, you are a student of Idaho State University with the privileges and responsibilities of a college student.