Application Systems (continued)
Scholarship System (SC)
This system facilitates the awarding of scholarships. Its primary function will be to provide a method whereby students can make one scholarship application during the school year and automatically be considered for all scholarships as they become available. It can also process Service Awards and other similar funds. The system compares scholarship requirements to applicant qualifications and reports students who qualify; these potential recipient reports are then passed on to a selection committee. Award notifications and Donor acknowledgments are printed, and financial information is automatically passed to the accounting office which disburses the award checks. The system also verifies post-award eligibility requirements such as full-time enrollment and minimum GPA.
- Scholarship descriptive information and requirements are entered.
- Selection programs check general and specific requirements.
- Award letters and Donor acknowledgments are printed.
- Financial data is passed to accounting; check disbursement status is easily retrieved.
- Continuing eligibility is verified as needed.
- Semester and Year-End summary reports are provided.
Site License System (SL)
This system tracks the Reflection licenses in use by university departments. It is used to do yearly billing of maintenance chargeback to departments and to audit the number of licenses of WRQ Reflection software in use at ISU. (Blair, this system is really only for internal CC use only. I don't know if it warrants being on the web site or not...)
Special Student Services System (SS)
This system was designed for Special Services (TRIO), a federally funded program for low income,minority, and first generation students. The program assists these students in getting into college, special tutoring during their college years and assistance in filling out applications to graduate school. This system includes a data storage and retrieval facility for the data kept on these students and provides a reporting facility for federal reports.
Speech Pathology (SP)This system allows clinical data accumulated by the students to be stored in such a way that it is accessible to provide grades. The data is also accessible by patient number to provide reports on the patients.
- Clinic data is entered.
- Reports are produced.
- Data is rolled and files are readied for the next cycle.
Stores Inventory (IN)
The University Stores Inventory system gives the Stores department on-line access to its inventory data permitting better service to the university through timely access to information prices and stock availability.
- Orders are entered on-line from both warehouse locations.
- Inventory records are automatically updated as orders are placed.
- Back orders are automatically generated when there is insufficient stock to fill an order.
- Invoice information is passed electronically to Accounting.
- Physical Plant is now about the only department utilizing the system.
Student Employment Tracking System (SE)
This system was originally designed for all student employment functions, but is currently only being used for work study students. It allows for the entry of students, employers, job openings and referrals to jobs.
Student Information Systems - SID (SI)
- Admissions - ACT and SAT
Requirements for Admissions defined by the State Board of Education require evaluation of high school transcripts against a complex set of admission requirements. This system automates that process. Additional data entry screens provide for entry of all admissions application data. The Admissions system provides the capability of processing students from an initial inquiry to acceptance. Student records are received through ACT or SAT referral, inquiries to Admissions Counseling, or student application. Acceptance notices are automatically generated. Correspondence or contact with a student can be tracked individually or in batches.
- Student Information records are received from ACT and SAT tapes.
- Inquiries from Admissions counseling are entered into the system.
- Correspondence tracking is available for Admissions Counseling and departments.
- Acceptance verification notices are printed.
- Students are checked against a locator file of all students on record at ISU to assist in locating microfilmed records to establish active student record files.
- Lists and labels are generated for Financial Aids and Housing to follow up on inquiries.
- ACT/SAT student profile processing is available for counseling students.
- Student application entry is on-line.
- Process special foreign student admissions.
- Admissions Status information is available through MyISU.
- Course Catalog System (CADB)
The Course catalog system contains valid courses offered at ISU, their cross-listed courses, labs that may be required, and course requisites. Basic course information is stored, such as title, credits, class type, goals, required major, blocking codes, etc.. When courses are entered in SID, values are extracted from this system and automatically entered in the SID Course record. The requisites are used to determine if the student has met all the pre-requisites and co-requisites for a course. Departments have the ability to run pre-requisite checking on the Web or on-line. This system also stores transfer course ISU equivalents. When a student's transfer work is evaluated and entered into the transcript system, the ISU equivalent of the course is extracted from this system and stored with the transcript record.
- Course Scheduling
Courses are scheduled from work copies returned from departments. Class schedules are printed for distribution to students in selection of classes.
- Courses are automatically established from the same semester of the previous year. Only differences need be entered.
- Off-campus and special courses can be identified and processed separately as required.
- Departmental monitoring of the registration process is available to facilitate establishment of new sections, etc..
- The Course Scheduling Workcopy can now be processed via FSTools.
- Degree Audit
The university hopes to purchase a degree audit system in the near future.
A fast grade entry facility is provided via FSTools.
- Grade lists on scantron sheets are printed for instructors on demand only.
- Student transcripts are available via MyISU.
- Transcripts and GPA's are updated appropriately for repeated courses.
- Students can look up their own grades via MyISU.
Registration is performed either in-person as students watch or via MyISU. Course conflicts are resolved immediately. Admissions requirements and eligibility for classes are checked.
- Class drops and adds are performed on-line. Reassessment generates refunds or additional charges.
- Students who withdraw from the university may be reinstated with minimal effort.
- Class lists, temporary and permanent, are provided to instructors and are available via FSTools.
- Conflicts in a student's schedule are reported as they register.
- Pre-requisite problems are checked each evening. Students not meeting pre-requisities may be automatically disenrolled from a course.
- Room Scheduling - Classes
The system provides a facility for quickly locating rooms available to schedule for classes.
- Room Scheduling - Workshops
FSTools now provides a mechanism for scheduling short-term workshops in a facility.
- Student Fee System
This system provides a means for students to receive a copy of their financial status at ISU. This includes all fees relating to Registration (registration fees, class fees), outstanding loans, fines, escrow deposits, and financial aid awards (scholarships, grants, student loans, waivers, etc.). This same system provides a means for the ISU Cashier to accept payment(s) for these charges and ISU Accounts Payable to disburse all financial aid awards.
This system allows support offices to maintain, produce, and process the following items:
- Class fees, registration fees, and fee waivers.
- Assessing of fees either on-line or in batch.
- Printing of bills either on-line or in batch.
- Maintenance of departmental accounts receivable. These receivables include: parking fines, library fines, past-due day care charges, and past-due BengalNet charges. Maintenance is performed either on-line or in batch. Batch processing generally interfaces with the departmental system. Soon, departments will be able to use the same "Cash" processing as the ISU Cashier but only process their specific departmental payments. This will allow departments without their own on-line system to maintain and process accounts receivable.
- Escrow deposit processing.
- Check printing for financial aid awards. These awards will be automatically authorized and applied to fees and charges and a change check or a bill issued for the difference. This process will be closely integrated with the implementation of Direct Lending.
- Stafford Loan interviews.
- Check disbursements are recorded. These disbursements include change check and financial aid awards. On-line authorization occurs to verify that the award can be disbursed.
- Student Insurance processing including reports and electronic communication of refunds and premium payments to the provider.
- Disenrollment of students who have not paid fees, thus, making those seats available to other students.
- Student Records
Student records are available on-line for use by all departmental offices. Students have the ability to look up their own records. Faculty advisors have the ability to look up student records.
- Official transcripts are printable on demand in the Registrar's office.
- Student transcripts can be displayed or printed in offices throughout campus.
- Deans lists are generated for honor students.
- Probation and dismissal letters are generated.
- Vocational employment follow up records are maintained.
- Student transcript records may be archived and retrieved.
- A student may have multiple transcripts such as undergraduate, graduate, and vocational.
- Individual training is provided to enable ad hoc reporting by departments.
- Departmental updating of majors and advisors.
- Standard reports include:
- GPA reports.
- Class enrollment summaries and statistics.
- Demographic distribution reports.
- Declared major reports.
- Student election lists.
- Ethnic reports.
- Mailing labels.
- Midterm grade reports.
- Reports of students by high school.
- Reports by class level.
- Reports new, former and continuing students.
- Foreign student lists.
- Many others.
- Student Tracking
This system provides information on the student's progress at ISU. Student term information is stored which includes beginning and ending status, term GPA, age, beginning and ending class level, major, etc.. Non-ISU semester GPA information is stored for transfer students. Test scores, athletic information and financial information is also stored. This system was implemented Fall of 1993. Data stored previous to that term may not be complete. The Financial portion of this system is loaded yearly in November for the previous school year. Fall of 1995 will have the first complete financial information from the previous school year.
- Student Transcript (SIT)
The transcript system contains all information necessary to produce an official and unofficial transcript, to verify semester and cumulative gpa information, and to validate student's graduation requirements including:
- All ISU course work taken, description, credits, grades, etc. This information is loaded from the SID system after final grades have been posted.
- Miscellaneous credits awarded for: CLEP, Military courses, challenged courses, work experiential, etc.
- Transfer course work with ISU equivalent course, credits, grades, etc.
- Dates of acceptance type for graduate students.
- Degrees received at ISU or other institutions.
- Graduation application information.
- Note lines indicating semester of attendance, semester probation / dismissal status, other notes important to graduation requirements.
Official transcript requests are entered and transcripts generated and sent to locations included in the request. Students may request a transcript in person at the Registrar's office or via the Web Transcript Express site. Student identification necessary for a Transcript Express request is transmitted nightly. Daily the Transcript Express site submits the student requests. This information is programmically loaded into the transcript database and official transcripts produced.
- Web Admission Application Systems
The Admissions web applications are web based versions of the university's admissions applications. Currently there are two applications, one for the undergraduate school and college of technology and the other for the graduate school. These applications provide students the convenience of having an application at their fingertips whenever they need it as well as instant submission rather than waiting for a paper application to be sent through the postal system.
Student Loans (GreenTree)
This packaged system developed by SCT processes and tracks National Direct Student loans.
- Loan data is loaded into this system from the financial services sytem located on the mainframe.
- Monthly billing statements are generated.
- Payments are posted on-line.
- Adjustments and reversals may be processed.
- Annual and quarterly reports are provided.
A room scheduling system developed for the Student Union and other ISU facilities provides on-line room scheduling, menu planning, work orders for room preparation, and billing for services provided. Daily/weekly activity calendars are printed, as well as catering reports, space-usage statistics, and conference/workshop listings. University calendar lookup is now available.
Telecommunications Plant Management System
This system handles all inventory of telecommunication equipment, provides an on-line work order system, and generates the telephone bill each month.
- Retrieves all cabling information for a given extension for maintenance purposes.
- Creates a bill for all equipment charges and long distance telephone charges.
- Creates a bill for students with BengalNet long distance telephone account charges.
- Stores and reports all inventory information on parts and generates lists of parts to be reordered.
- Makes possible an interface to create a telephone directory.
- Interfaces and passes to accounting information to charge back departments for equipment and long distance charges.
- Generates and prints a work order for repair of all equipment with the ability to look up the status of the work order.
- Allows a directory lookup on individuals and their extension.
- Archives old billing information to tape and/or microfiche for history purposes.
- Loads and evaluates tapes from telephone companies such as Mountain Bell, MCI, Netcom, etc.
- Keeps track of the new university network nodes and connections.
Telecommunications Call Costing System
This system evaluates all information reported by the PBX switch and costs all the calls according to the current rate schedule.
- Evaluates duration of a call and trunk line the call originated on.
- Generates reports for management of the telephone traffic.
- Makes possible an interface to the Plant Management system to enable charge backs to departments and students.
Test Grading System (TG)
A system to support automated scoring and statistical analysis of multiple-choice tests was developed in-house. The system has an interface to the Student Information system to provide verification of student ID, student name, and class name. Student ID numbers not found in the Student Information database are listed separately on the statistical analysis reports. The report also indicates those students not registered in the indicated class. Test results may be printed, or emailed to the professor. If email is desired, there are 3 options:
- Email just the statistics report,
- Email the statistics report and the results in a spreadsheet format,
- Email the statistics report and the results in a text format (for use with webmail).
Travel Management System (AI)
This system is used by Financial Services to track an employee's travel information including: authorizations, reimbursements, receipts, notices, billings, etc. Right now the travel information is entered into the Invoice Add program, but it does not track all of the needed information.
Each semester, students who have problems paying their registration fees are allowed to apply for a short-term loan to cover the semester's costs. This system assists in the management and reporting of information related to those students whose applications are accepted.
- Loan information is entered.
- Actual registration (fee payment) is verified.
- Balance-Due reports are printed on a periodic basis.
- Summary reports are printed when needed.
University Directory (IS)
This system is designed to keep track of all faculty and staff telephone numbers, departments they work for and their home addresses and telephone numbers. The system also attempts to maintain a reasonable facsimile of the university organization. This directory is maintained throughout the year and is accessible on-line. An annual telephone directory is produced listing students, all departments on campus, any subdepartments, and the personnel associated with the department. The next portion of the directory is an alphabetical listing of personnel on campus and the directory information for that person. The final section is a directory of students. Up to date directories including spouse names and home address are available for ISU internal use only, and may be printed on demand.
VIP Document Management System (DocMan)
This packaged software is developed by Gauss Interprises. It provides a document mining solution that allows images and reports to be sent to, stored on, and retrieved from the DocMan server. Sending reports to this software saves paper and printing costs and the imaging solution saves storage space and costs for additional storage space.
Web Purchase Requisition System
This system is a subset of the Purchasing system. It allows ISU Faculty and Staff to create requisitions on the web and process them electronically. Once a requisition is created, it is automatically routed to the appropriate fund controller for approval before being sent to Purchasing Services, where it is processed into a PO and sent to the vendor.