Essentials from NAACLS
- Develop, establish, oversee and perform the pre-analytical, analytical, and
post-analytical phases of testing on body fluids, cells and other specimens.
- Ensure appropriate laboratory utilization to optimize full value patient outcomes.
- Apply statistical analysis of data for use in laboratory epidemiology,
examining the relationships of tests to treatment decisions, and to health care outcomes.
- Establish and use quality assurance and performance measurements to develop
solutions to problems and to assure the validity and accuracy of information
concerning laboratory data, generated both within and external to the laboratory.
- Advocate for patients by utilizing the results of laboratory diagnostic procedures
and employing algorithms to achieve optimal, full value patient outcomes.
- Comply with regulations and guidelines of relevant governmental and
- Implement laws, regulations and accrediting standards within the operating
requirements of the organization to minimize risks and maximize patient outcomes.
Laboratory Instrumentation, Equipment and Testing
- Research, develop, evaluate, select, and implement appropriate techniques,
instruments and methods.
- Establish preventive and corrective maintenance programs for instruments and
equipment as well as troubleshooting and determining any appropriate action
to be taken.
- Utilize financial information for decision making to balance cost with quality.
- Apply reimbursement policies to avoid fraud and abuse, and operate on a fiscally
sound basis while optimizing patient outcomes.
- Develop strategies for a successful operation by using effective marketing
and sales techniques.
- Plan daily operations of the facility.
- Develop public relations programs for client services.
- Recruit and maintain appropriate levels and skill mix of personnel to
insure a productive work environment meeting best practice benchmarks.
- Implement programs for safety, hazardous materials, infectious disease
prevention and fire safety management.
- Define and use competencies for performance appraisal assessment.
- Plan, evaluate, implement and deliver effective educational programs for healthcare
personnel and healthcare receivers.
- Consult with physicians, other health care professionals and the public on
appropriate choice and sequencing of laboratory tests.
- Teach healthcare providers how to request tests cost effectively and appropriately for patient care.
- Communicate with other health care personnel, patients and public on the
application and validity of laboratory data.
- Deliver instruction and providing information about patient testing.
- Evaluate and select information system applications.
- Use the principles of electronic information exchange.
- Implement the management of patient data utilizing contemporary information systems.
Professionals and Teamwork
- Demonstrate leadership, professional and ethical conduct and interpersonal
skills for patients, healthcare professionals and the public.
- Development of management and team building skills.
- Develop strategies for continuing professional development, including career advancement.