Welcome to The ISU Bands Page!
Whether you choose to major in music or just wish to continue your artistic growth, the Idaho State University Instrumental Department has something to offer you. There are many performance opportunities for all, regardless of their major or ability.
All of the ISU Band performances occur in the 1200-seat Joseph C. & Cheryl H. Jensen Grand Concert Hall, which opened in the spring of 2005. This beautiful concert hall is located in the L.E. & Thelma E. Stephens Performing Arts Center.
Auditioning for Admission & Scholarships
This audition is for scholarships and/or admission to the department as a music major or minor.
Auditions may be scheduled by appointment. Call the music office at (208) 282-3636 for the audition application forms. More information about admission requirements is available from the music office. e-mail: email@example.com
Music scholarships are awarded to majors and non-majors on the basis of musical ability. Many scholarship awards are given to students who participate in band, choir or orchestra. Piano scholarships are also available. Applications for all music awards may be obtained from the Music Department. Please state specifically your performance area when making scholarship inquiries in order to channel your request to the proper director. Students who wish to be considered for scholarship assistance in the next academic year should return their applications by March 1. ISU will utilize every possible source to help students finance their study. Some assistance is also available through the Office of Financial Aids.
The following scholarships are available in addition to Band, Choir, Orchestra, and Piano Accompanist awards. Only one application form is needed in order to be considered for all types of scholarships. Specific requirements and application forms can be obtained from the Music Department. Incoming freshmen and transfer students are eligible for all of these scholarships except the Ruth S. Phoenix Memorial Scholarships.
- Josephine H. Berryman Music Scholarships. Awarded only to full-time students. Financial need will be considered.
- Ruth S. and E. Chilton Phoenix Memorial Scholarships. Awarded only to full-time music students who currently participate in musical activities at ISU.
- R. David Missal Band Scholarhip. Awarded only to full-time music majors or minors who participate in the ISU Symphonic Band.
- ISU Marching Band. Available to full or part-time students who participate in the Bengal Marching Band and the Basketball Pep Band.
- Spaulding Foundation Jazz Scholarships. Available to full or part-time students.
- Music Department Endowment Scholarships. Available to full or part-time students.
- University Recognition Awards in Music. Available to full or part-time students.
The Pocatello Music Club also regularly offers scholarships to ISU students through competitive auditions administered by the Music Department. These auditions are held on campus each semester for currently enrolled full-time music majors who have at least a 2.0 grade point average. The first place winner in each category (vocal, instrumental) receives the Mark Neiwirth Scholarship and the second place winner in each category (vocal, instrumental) receives the Pocatello Music Club Scholarship. The previous semester first place winners are not eligible for the next semester's audition.
The Idaho Federation of Music Clubs grants scholarships through an annual statewide audition.