PA Program Publications
Journal Articles & Abstracts:
- Hessheimer, H., Rogo, E., Howlett, B. (Aug. 2011). Use of questioning in a dental hygiene didactic course. Journal of Dental Education; 75(8):1073-1083.
- Martin D. The heart of a rural PA: Providing health care in the central Idaho mountains. PA Professional. Oct. 2010:35.
- Martin D. Perfected and strengthened through trials and suffering. JAAPA. January 2007;20(1):52-53. Available online at http://media.haymarketmedia.com/documents/8/inretro0107_1864.pdf.
- Shallenberger C., Hutchinson R., Howlett B., Peterson T., Bruce, C. (2006). PACKRAT and PANCE: A collaborative analysis of predictive scores - abstract. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 17(4):31-32. Available online at http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/25113
- Howlett B, Phelps P. Actively and formatively teaching statistics to physician assistant students. J Physician Assist Educ. 2006;17:48-52. Available online at http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/25240
- Whitaker K. Workplace question and answer panel. Advance for Physician Assistants. June 1999;7:6.
- Whitaker K. Dermadilemma: Contact dermatitis. Physician Assist. June 1997;21:6.
- Whitaker K. Application of the 'what if' function using a spreadsheet algorithm. Journal of Computer Applications in Allied Health. 1984;1:2.
Books & Book Chapters:
- Phelps P. Obstetrics and Gynecology, in A Millter, A Simon, & R Carlson. Lange Q&A Physician Assistant Examination, 6th ed. 2010; McGraw-Hill Medical: USA.
- Howlett B, Hewett B. Securing and proctoring online tests, in M Hricko & SL Howell, Online Assessment and Measurement: Foundations and Challenges. 2005; Idea Group, Inc.: Hershey, PA.
- Whitaker K. Comprehensive Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care. 3rd ed. 2001; Delmar Publishers: Albany, New York.
International Conference Papers/Presentations:
- Ballweg R, Talford D, Papa J, Vorvick L, Harball C. Application of efficient instruction of medical curriculum across multiple geographic locations in times of limited resources. International Association for Medical Education; Prague, Czech Republic; Aug. 26, 2013.
- Talford D, Ballweg R, Duhl-Glicken A. The physician assistant movement – Global trends in the extension of medical care by non-physician providers. International Association for Medical Education; Glasgow, United Kingdom; Sep. 7, 2010.
- Shallenberger C, Hutchinson R, Howlett B, Peterson T, Bruce C, Ingell B, Kennedy W, King C. PACKRAT and PANCE: A collaborative analysis of predictive scores. Physician Assistant Education Association Education Forum in Quebec City, Quebec. Oct. 29, 2006.
- Howlett B, Phelps, P, Martin D. Teaching faculty to teach: The use of an instructional designer in PA programs. Association of Physician Assistant Programs 2005 Education Forum: Las Croabas, Puerto Rico. Nov. 2005.
- Phelps P, Howlett B. Innovation with WebCT: Enhancing learning and program quality. Impact! 2003 International WebCT Users’ Conference.
National Conference Papers/Presentations:
VanVught A, Van Den Brink G, Duhl Glicken A, Ballweg R, Talford D. The Physician Assistant movement - A comparison of the Netherlands experience with that of the United States. International Association for Medical Education; Milan, Italy; Sept. 1, 2014.
2011 PAEA Meeting
"Howlett B, Freudenthal J. Health Professional Students' Critical Thinking Skills: A Multi-Disciplinary Educational Development Study. Physician Assistant Educators Association 2011 Education Forum; New Orleans, LA; Nov, 2011."
Papa J, Tivis R, Carr G, Howlett B. Inter-professional Training in the Community Setting. Physician Assistant Education Association 2011 Annual Education Forum; New Orleans, LA; Nov, 2011
PAEA Workshop Presentation
Papa J, Talford D. Didactic Doesn't Mean Dull: Bringing Life, Laughs, and Learning Through Enhanced Instructional Strategies. PAEA Annual Education Forum in Seattle, WA. Nov. 12, 2012.
"Martin D, Freudenthal J, Howlette B. Interprofessional Clinical Education (ICE) for PA and Dental Hygiene Students. Physician Assistant Educators Association 2011 Education Forum; New Orleans, LA; Nov, 2011."
"Bunnage C, Papa J, Harball C, Hass V, Clerfond A. Proven Examples of Distance Learning in PA Education - An Expert Panel on Video Conferences and Online Learning. Physician Assistant Education Association 2011 Education Forum; New Orleans, LA; Nov, 2011."
- Bunde C, Howlett B, Martin D, Talford D. Easing the burden of test writing: A collaborative faculty approach to excellent exams. PAEA Annual Education Forum in Savannah, GA. Oct. 31, 2008.
- Bunde C, Howlett B. Effectiveness of service-learning for physician assistant students. Physician Assistant Education Association Education Forum in Savannah, GA. Oct. 31, 2008.
- Howlett B, Phelps P. The Kirkpatrick model for program evaluation as an efficient data-driven accreditation self study process: A case study. Physician Assistant Education Association Education Forum in Tucson, AZ. Oct. 27, 2007.
- Phelps P, Howlett B. Designing a spirituality and medicine course based on EBM. Physician Assistant Education Association Education Forum in Tucson, AZ. Oct. 25, 2007.
- Howlett B, Smalley A. Low tech solutions for dynamic information management needs: Doing more… better… with less. TechEd, 2006, Mar. 28, 2006. Pasadena, CA.
- Howlett B, Phelps, P. Geeky interventions in PA clinical education. Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions Conference, Oct. 19, 2005.
- Bunnage C, Whitaker K, Martin D. (2004) Use of mock patient scenario based education in physician assistant training. National Academy of Physician Assistant Programs Conference. Nov., 2004.
- Whitaker K. Workshop to Develop Methodology for Implementation of Mock Patients into the Didactic Curriculum Physician Assistant Education Association conference. Nashville TN. Nov., 2004.
- Whitaker K. How to write instructional objectives. Physician Assistant Education Association Education Meeting. Boston, MA. May, 2002.
Regional Conference Papers/Presentations:
- Tranmer, R., Boyd, L.D., Howlett, B., Johnson, R., Bowen, D. (Oct. 20, 2011) National survey of oncology teams' knowledge, education, and patient management regarding oral care in cancer therapy. North American/Global Dental Hygiene Research Conference.
- Howlett, B., Erickson, C., Pifer, S., Fullmer, J. (Apr. 28, 2011). Combatting protein and iron insecurity at 12,000 feet. Idaho Dietetic Association Annual Meeting. Boise, ID.
- Papa J., Howlett B., Bunde C., Schroeder, J. (Apr. 24, 2011). Health Care Career Exploration Workshop. Idaho Hispanic Youth Symposium. Sun Valley Idaho.
- Howlett, B., Johnson, C., Erickson, C. (Apr. 15, 2011). Interprofessional mobile health clinic providing care to rural Andean indigenous populations: A model for cooperative education and research. Research Day, Idaho State University Division of Health Sciences.
- Erickson, C., Howlett, B., Pifer S. (Apr. 15, 2011). Combatting food insecurity through community-based nutrition interventions. Research Day, Idaho State University Division of Health Sciences.
- Martin, D., Freudenthal, J., Howlett, B. (Apr. 15, 2011). Interprofessional clinical education (ice) with physician assistant and dental hygiene students to reduce morbidity and mortality from delayed diagnosis of oral cancer. Research Day, Idaho State University Division of Health Sciences.
- Freudenthal, J., Howlett, B., Martin, D. (Mar. 14, 2011). Incorporating intraoral cancer examinations into a physician assistant curriculum through interprofessional education. 2011 American Dental Education Association Annual Session & Exhibition. San Diego, CA.
- Howlett B, Bunde C. Admissions predictors of PA graduate success on national board exam: A preliminary study. Idaho State University Kasiska College of Health Professions Research Day Conference. Pocatello, ID. Mar., 2007
- Phelps P, Howlett, B. Student reaction to switching online learning management systems. Kasiska College of Health Professions Research Day 2007. Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. Mar, 20, 2007.
- Phelps P, Howlett B. Improving student satisfaction by improving communication. Kasiska College of Health Professions Research Day 2006. Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. April 6, 2006.
- Rogo E, Seikel T, Devine N, Force R, Howlett B. Evidence-based practice workshop. Idaho Conference on Health Care. Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. Oct. 26, 2005.
- Nuehfer, E, Howlett, B. Assessment: Friend or foe? Boot Camp for Profs. Idaho State University. July 28, 2005
- Whitaker K. Use of Topical Anti-Inflammatories. Idaho Academy of Physician Assistants state CME conference. Sun Valley, ID. Apr., 2003.