Faculty Publications and Presentations
- Mary Bossart's published manuscript representing her thesis research. The paper is "A Pilot Study of an HbA1c Chairside Screening Protocol for Diabetes in Patients with Chronic Periodontitis: The Dental Hygienist's Role" was published in the May issue of the International Journal of Dental Hygiene. Coauthors include: Kristin Calley, Dr. JoAnn Gurenlian, Barbara Mason, Dr. Ferguson and Teri Peterson.
- Colleen Stephenson received the first place award for the oral presentation of her thesis research, Consumer Perceptions of Oral Cancer Screenings Compared to Other Cancer Screenings, at the ISU Graduate Student Research Symposium.
- Denise Bowen, Professor Emeritus, published a manuscript in the Linking Research to Clinical Practice section of the April Issue of the Journal of Dental Hygiene. This paper is entitled "Effectiveness of Professionally-Applied Silver Diamine Fluoride in Arresting Dental Caries".
- Kathleen Hodges published "Addressing Patient Discomfort During Ultrasonic Instrumentation" in the April issue of Dimensions of Dental Hygiene.
- Kandis Garland served as the "Ask the Expert" for the April issue of the Dimensions of Dental Hygiene addressing "Protocol for Post-Exposture Management."
The faculty were well-represented at the 2016 American Dental Education Association meeting in Denver, Colorado, March 12-15, 2016.
- Dr. Ellen Rogo and Karen Portillo presented a workshop entitled, "It Takes A Village to Build a Synergist Online Community."
- Dr. JoAnn Gurenlian presented "Advancing Dental Hygiene Research" as part of the the ADHA workshop.
- Tammy Sanderson presented a workshop entitled, "Coaches Rewind: Teaching with Video in the Clinic."
- Leciel Bono presented a poster "Shaping Tomorrow: Igniting Advocacy Through a Legislative Educational Unit."
- Jacque Freudenthal presented a poster "Reflecting on Eight Years of Interprofessional Education Clinical Experiences."
- Tammy Sanderson also presented a poster entitled, "Effect of a Video-Recorded Clinical Session in the Training of Dental Hygiene Students."
Kandis Garland had an article published in the March issue of Dimensions of Dental Hygiene entitled, "Create a Culture of Safety."
Alumnus Debbie Johnson, Dr. JoAnn Gurenlian, and Jacque Fredudenthal published an article entitled " A Study of Nutrition in Entry-Level Dental Hygiene Education Programs" in the January issue of the Journal of Dental Education. This represents the culmination of Debbie's thesis study.
Kandis Garland has an article entitled "Tips for Successfully Serving as Infection Control Coordinator" in the January issue of Dimensions of Dental Hygiene.