Medical Assistants help physicians examine and treat patients and perform routine tasks to keep offices running smoothly. The duties of Medical Assistants vary depending on the location and size of the practice and the physician's specialty. Clinical duties vary according to state law and include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, explaining treatment procedures and educating patients, preparing patients for examination, assisting during the examination, collecting blood and other specimen samples, and performing basic lab procedures on those specimens, assist in minor office surgeries, and complete tests such as electrocardiogram, urinalysis, holter monitor, and spirometry to name a few.
This program takes the students through all specialty areas such as orthopedics, cardiology, pediatrics, OB/GYN, dermatology and gastroenterology. You will be dealing with the public, scheduling appointments, processing insurance claims, bookkeeping, etc. Your duties may also include management responsibilities as assigned by your employer which include a wide variety of clerical tasks. You may be employed by a medical office, multiple specialty clinic, public health agency, Urgent or emergency care clinic or similar setting, medical labs, insurance companies, and medical billing agencies.
- Program accepts students in January
- Typical classroom hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Program admits 18 students each year
- The Medical Assisting Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of Medical Assistant Education Review Board (MAERB).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
- Medical Assisting Associate of Applied Science (2 years)
- Bachelor of Applied Technology (4+ years)
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (4+ years)
- Medical offices with administrative and clinical responsibilities
- Urgent care facilities
- Clinics and outpatient centers
- Public health agencies
|COMPASS||Writing: 55||Pre-Algebra: 45|
|ACT||English: 14||Math: 19|
|SAT||English: 360||Math: 460|
Cost of Attendance
Fees apply to the current Idaho State University fee schedule which includes mandatory student health insurance. Students with existing health insurance coverage may waive student health insurance. Waivers are available at http://www.isu.edu/stuhlth/insurance/.
Paying for College
You may apply for financial aid, scholarships, grants, and loans to help finance your college education. When you pay registration fees, you are a student of Idaho State University with the privileges and responsibilities of a college student.