Civil Engineering Technology
Graduates of the Civil Engineering Technology program will:
- Obtain gainful employment as professional Surveying Technicians, Drafters, Laboratory Technicians, or Field Testing Technicians in a Civil Engineering-related field.
- Perform land and construction surveying tasks using current surveying instruments and technologies and computer-aided drafting systems for various land and construction surveying projects.
- Perform testing and inspection tasks in the laboratory and in the field of various construction materials and operations to evaluate compliance with project plans and specifications.
Graduates of the Civil Engineering Technology program will have the following learned capabilities:
- an ability to apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to narrowly defined engineering technology activities
- an ability to apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles but extensive practical knowledge
- an ability to conduct standard tests and measurements, and to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments
- an ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team
- an ability to identify, analyze, and solve narrowly defined engineering technology problems
- an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature
- an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development
- an understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity
- a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
- utilize principles, hardware, and software that are appropriate to produce drawings, reports, quantity estimates, and other documents related to civil engineering;
- conduct standardized field and laboratory tests related to civil engineering;
- utilize surveying methods appropriate for land measurement and/or construction layout;
- apply fundamental computational methods and elementary analytical techniques in sub-disciplines related to civil engineering.