Graduate / Master of Accounting (MAcc) - Learning Goals
The goal of the MACC program is to further develop students' professional knowledge, competency, skills and values for a career in accountancy with an emphasis on public accountancy. Advanced content and application in the graduate program is focused on enhancing students' technical competency, and critical thinking, interpersonal, communication, and judgement skills beyond that of an undergraduate program. Specifically, our MAcc program learning goals and objectives include:
- Technical Competency and Professional Knowledge
ISU MAcc graduates will demonstrate technical competency and possess appropriate professional knowledge. Each student will:
- Apply knowledge of relevant professional standards and the regulatory environment to resolve financial reporting issues of U.S. and multinational business entities.
- Apply knowledge of tax laws for planning and compliance purposes.
- Recognize and evaluate areas of potential legal concern in the business environment and demonstrate understanding of the role of law in risk assessment.
- Recognize and evaluate areas of potential risk in an entity's business processes and information technology environment.
- Critical Thinking and Communication Skills
ISU MAcc graduates will demonstrate problem solving and critical thinking skills. Each student will:
- Gather, interpret, evaluate, analyze and apply relevant professional standards to complex accounting-related issues, and come to well-reasoned conclusions.
- Apply analytical and quantitative techniques to analyze financial statements within the context of risk assessment and firm valuation.
- Search effectively for information in online professional databases.
- Communicate complex ideas and thought effectively both orally and in writing.
- Interact in a group setting to effectively persuade others.
- Group/Interpersonal Skills
ISU MAcc graduates will demonstrate group/interpersonal skills. Each student will:
- Work effectively in teams toward a common goal.
- Professional Values and Ethics
ISU MAcc graduates will demonstrate the ability to recognize and appropriately respond to ethical issues in the practice of accounting. Each student will:
- Identify ethical issues and decision alternatives by incorporating appropriate professional codes of conduct and social responsibility.
- Demonstrate professional conduct and demeanor in class and business settings.