Veteran Student Responsibilities at Idaho State University

Apply for Benefits

All VA students must file an application when they first start school. VA students can submit applications online at or provide the VA Certifying Official with a paper copy. VA students must provide the School Certifying Official with a Certificate of Eligibility

Address and direct deposit information must be current with the VA. Chapter's 1606, 1607, and 30 can use the WAVE system to update this information. All other chapters can request or change direct deposit information by calling 1-877-838-2778. Address changes can be made by calling 1-888-442-4551.


Students register for classes using BengalWeb. VA students must submit a VA Registration Form every semester to activate education benefits. If the student changes their class schedule the VA Certifying Official must be notified immediately. If the VA does not receive a prompt notice of the change, the student could be liable for an overpayment of benefits.

VA Benefits are paid based on the time students are actually enrolled in classes. Registering for eight week or workshop courses may affect monthly housing payments. Only classes required for the declared program of study will be covered by the VA. Only full-time students will receive full VA Education Benefits. Attending less than full-time will pro-rate benefits.

Students receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill must take at least 7 credits for undergraduate or 5 credits for graduate students to receive any portion for the housing allowance.


The VA will send tuition and fee money directly to the school for those students receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Students are required to pay tuition and fees not covered by the VA. If the student completely withdraws on or before the first day of the term the debt is the school responsibility.

Changes in class schedules that cause an overpayment of tuition or fees will be the school's responsibility if the change occurs before the first day of the term and will be the student's responsibility if the change occurs on or after the first day of the term.


Students are paid based on attendance, not attending or withdrawing from classes may cause an overpayment with the VA. Chapter's 1606, 1607, and 30 must verify attendance the last day of each month. Attendance may be verified by calling 1-877-823-2378 or by using the WAVE system.


The VA does not pay for non-punitive grades. A non-punitive grade is a grade that does not count as earned credit and is not considered in progress standards for graduation. Earning a non-punitive grade may cause an overpayment with the VA. Examples of non-punitive grades are: "W" withdraw, "AU" audit, "U" unsatisfactory, and "I" incomplete.

Incomplete "I" grades are an agreement between the student and the instructor. Incomplete grades are given at the end of the term and require a Course Completion Contract.


Courses that are successfully completed may not be certified for VA purposes. If a program requires a higher grade than achieved, that course may be repeated. The VA has a onetime forgiveness policy; each class may be repeated once if the original grade doesn't meet university requirements.

Mitigating Circumstances

Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond the student's control that prevent the student from continuing in school or that cause the student to reduce credits. Reporting Mitigating circumstances may prevent overpayments. Examples are:

If evidence of mitigating circumstances is not provided then the VA may create an overpayment.

Study Abroad

Study abroad can be certified if the student is enrolled in courses that will meet graduation requirements. All other benefit programs will pay benefits on a monthly basis directly to the student just like attendance at U.S. schools.

Additional information about study aboard can be found on the VA's website.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay:

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will NOT pay:

Guest Students

A guest student is a student who is pursuing a degree at another college or university. Students may take courses at more than one school that apply to their degrees. The school that grants the degree is the "primary" school. All other schools are "secondary" schools. The VA will pay for a secondary school or combine the enrollment between the primary and secondary schools. The primary school must provide a "Primary School Letter" to the secondary school to certify the enrollment.

If Idaho State University is your "primary" school please provide the VA Certifying Official with the following information:

If Idaho State University is your "secondary" school then you must notify the VA Certifying Official at your primary school. ISU will certify your enrollment with the VA once the Primary School Letter is received.


921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209